AMD and Nvidia GOP update (No requests, DIY)

Open the Turks_updGOP.rom with AMD_ROM_Info.bat, and check the report of the tool.
Later on if the EFI GOP is ok, the system will permit full UEFI boot (CSM OFF, SBOOT etc…)
If not the motherboard will post beep code and you may try a downgrade GOP 1.6x

Dumping info from = Turks_updGOP.rom

AMDVBFLASH version 3.31 EXTERNAL, Copyright (c) 2021 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Image 1 -- Offset 0x0
=======================
  ROM header contents:
    Signature              0xAA55
    PCIR offset            0x01E8
  PCI Data Structure
    Signature              PCIR
    Vendor ID              0x1002
    Device ID              0x6759
    PCI Revision           0x00
    Image size             0x10000
    Code revision          0x0D0C
    Indicator              0x00   (Not last image)
    Code type              0x00   (PCAT Image)
  Legacy BIOS File Name    C1A23JDA.SGK
  Legacy BIOS Part Number  113-000-000
  Legacy BIOS Build Number 244259
  Legacy BIOS Change List  835861
  Binary BIOS_IDTF         0x14474006
  ByteCheckSum             0
Image 2 -- Offset 0x10000
=======================
  ROM header contents:
    Signature              0xAA55
    PCIR offset            0x001C
  PCI Data Structure
    Signature              PCIR
    Vendor ID              0x1002
    Device ID              0x6759
    PCI Revision           0x00
    Image size             0xE600
    Code revision          0x0000
    Indicator              0x80   (last image)
    Code type              0x03   (EFI Image)
    EFI Signature          0x0EF1
    Compression Type       0x0001 (compressed)
    Machine type           0x8664 (X64)
    Subsystem              0x000B (EFI boot service driver)
    EFI image offset       0x0050 (abs: 0x10050)
  Uefi Ids from EFI_PCI_EXPANSION_ROM_HEADER:
    UefiSourceRevision     GOP AMD REV: 1.70
    UefiSourceChangeList   xxxx
    UefiBiosBuildNumber    xxxx

Dump Gop Driver Info:
    Machine type code      X64
    The GOP Driver appears to be Authenticode signed.
    Size Of Gop Image      97856 (95 KB)
    GOP Driver Name: AMD GOP X64 Release Driver Rev.1.70.0.15.50.Jul 13 2020.23:42:33
    GOP AMD_Build          3457
    GOP AMD_CL             2143793
    GOP BIOS_IDTF          0xDEADBEEF
    GOP Driver does not carry tables!

I tried using AMDVBflash to convert Turks_ UpdGOP.rom program into the graphics card, but AMDVBflash told me “Cannot erase ROM”

To convert??? You mean Flash it on the GPU card…
No the AMDVBFlash is too modern for that generation and its not there primary to use it as flasher.
Use preferably a DOS version and Windows version as last resource.
TPU has older versions and/or DOS versions, this is a 2011 card…
AMDVBFlash / ATI ATIFlash 5.0.567 Download | TechPowerUp
ATI Winflash ATI Winflash 2.6.7 Download | TechPowerUp

To read:
AMD/ATi Flash Command Line (CMD) Syntax Mini Guide (WINDOWS) | TechPowerUp Forums

Just following up on my saga, thankfully, it has come to an end.

I was able to coax GOP_Updater_v1.9.6.5.k_mod_v0.4.9 into writing Magic GOP 1.69.0.15.50 onto a modified bios ROM that already possessed the “regular” AMD GOP 1.69.0.15.50.
Under normal circumstances the tools will not proceed if a newer or same version is pre-existing on a bios ROM.

This can surely be achieved manually, but it is somewhat needless to essentially redo the work already provided here, so it still makes more sense to me to use the tools.
-alter the GOP section of target bios ROM in a hex editor just enough so that the GOP_Updater tools can no longer identify it as the same or newer version than what you intend to use with the tools. e.g. replace the first ~7 lines in your current bios with those of an older GOP image. Not enough change or too much change will not produce a useable result even if the tool reports it was successful.
-follow directions as normal.

Application: When working with bios/GOP images that are too new for current Magic GOP releases.
Result: A working, UEFI RX580 Bios with modded timings/voltages thanks to Magic GOP and GOP_Update and hex editing tools.

Special thanks to Hellm and Lordkag

2 Likes

Thank you for your report and contribution, enjoy it.

1 Like

Hey. For some reason, idk why, my ReBar is non funcitonal, but I already have the latest GOP so I can’t flash it again with set PATCHED 1, how did you solved it? Thanks! Also, I remember that when I flashed an older custom bios, I couldn’t boot with CSM Disabled (any way I could test it out, without trying it myself and be unable to boot without having again another GPU installed?)

Can you explain to me what all this means? The APU is listed in amd_gop_IDs_2.18.0.17.10.txt (1002:1638). So why does it say no GOP?

Probably the GOP is on the (Laptop?) bios…this is an APU…not a discrete GPU, how did you got the dump?
What does GPU-Z reports, usually GPU-Z wont be capable of dumping from APUs, precisely due to the referred modules GOP driver/vBios are on the bios of the system.
On a discrete GPU, tools will dump the vBios image and the GOP driver is attached to it.
You can use UBU for updating it.

Got it working!! UEFI and SeaBIOS works here on an AMD 5800H.
I couldn’t find an explanation here how it’s really supposed to be done.
So the files in #GOP_Files need to be renamed to your needs. In my case:
amd_gop_vega.efirom → amd_gop.efirom
amd_gop_IDs_2.18.0.17.10.txt → amd_gop_IDs.txt

Then i get a working output file. (Sorry i can’t upload as i am “new user”)

The tool is not my work and the files are not be be “supposedly” renamed… no indication from author regarding this, the correct gops files/device id will be correctly identified by the tool.
The vega file is apart from general AMD file presumably for that GPU itself.
Files can be shared in a private sharing service like GDrive/One drive/Mediafire etc…
and linked here.
But i told you already, its an APU, not a discrete GPU, this tool will not work.

Hi,

I have a Vega 64 with version 2.0.0.0 march 2017 gop I would like to update. However I can not find link to download latest GOP update tool. Any links?

Thank you

A few post above i confirmed the links

Thanks!

Hey, anyone have a solution for what I posted earlier?

@ D1stRU3T0R

This tool has its own function and its a user tool release much earlier than recent times of the tool for REBAR from kuri, so nothing here related.

Older vBios and GOPs can always be flashed, the user must have its own intact backups to work with the different GOPs and using the CMD line tools of AMD/NVidia flashers will achieve it, read documentation for EFI/CMD/Win of each tool, each one depending on the environment used omits/presents additional CMD options…

Last resource an SPI programmer

1 Like

I’ve been struggling with an RX580 for about a week now trying to get it to work with my system. The model I’m having trouble with is the
XFX RX-580P8DFD6. I’m using this vBIOS from TPU: VGA Bios Collection: XFX RX 580 8 GB | TechPowerUp

Mobo is a Dark Hero VIII x570 (AGESA ComboV2PI 1208)

I’ve attempted several things so far, but I’m left with my system with the GPU led lit up on MoBo while it still posts into the OS. Once it gets into Windows, the GPU starts working normally. Additionally, when passing through a UEFI KVM I am unable to see a TianoCore splashscreen. Not sure what I’m doing wrong, I’ve tried my best digging through this page for a solution, but 1600 responses are quite a bit to dig through.

Some things I’ve attempted:

1. Upgrade GOP to 1.7 by following Koekieezz’s (post #1632) earlier on mentioning that a different variant of GOP was being used with an offset of 0xE858. I’ve noticed this occurs when the vBIOS only has one particular type of memory it supports.
  2. Use the patched 1.69 GOP described by bikedog (post #1647). I updated the ROM file to trick the scripts into treating it like it had a GOP of 1.57 so that it would update it back to 1.69. It was my hope that this would resolve the problem as they have a model very similar to mine (RX-580P8DBDR)

Both result in the same issue. Where the CSM remains disabled on my board, but the card never produces a video signal until the OS boots. I’ve included 3 ROM files - one is factory, the other two are the attempts I describe.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19DnE_o0UTR2QSpcwmVqzhVMDVoGZd44T

Hi guys. I tried to flash Gigabyte RX5700 XT 8GB reference with update gop but thats what i Get when trying to use GOPupdater 0.52

"Do you want to update GOP to 2.18.0.17.10? Y for yes or N for no: y

Fixing ID for EFI image. No checksum correction is needed.

Removing unnecessary end padding.

Data after ROM and not part of EFI! Please report it!

Recovering extra data at the same offset 0x20000."

Any help would be appreciated.

Your choice only to flash, perform vbios backups and ensure that you know how to recover.
The messages, usually can be ignored but the tool support was stop around POLARIS time.
It can contain moderns gops on the database.

EDIT: No, theres no recent updates on the tool and theres only an alternative for NVidia, to my knowledge here on the forum.

1 Like

Is there any alternative tool or perhaps some updated version?

EDIT: Is there someone here who could manually modify the BIOS dump i provide so it includes lates working GOP for this card?