AMD Ryzen Motherboard Crossflashing Thread (ASUS, ASRock etc)

I disabled XMP and tested OC and it won’t help. Ram went from 3000mhz to 2133mhz and cpu won’t work over 3100MHz.

The issue is that windows and some programs such as HWInfo shows BASE speed as 3.8GHz. BUT in reality the cpu won’t get over 3.1GHz.

I can see cpu voltage and frequency setting only in crossflashed 6.10 and in stock 1.50.

All the content of oc tweaker is shown in the image, except for some profile slots.

I can do the oc, but it won’t work properly as it sets base speed to 3800MHz but cpu won’t get over 3100MHz while benchmarked.

@Jurgenm - I can make whatever visible in 5.90 as we discussed, this is the BIOS that is compatible with your CPU. 1.50 is broken BIOS I assume, or you (like me) are maybe not familiar with how AMD overclocking works?
I suggest you stick with 5.90 as it’s the latest one that is compatible with your CPU. However, I see what you mean now, there is no CPU “CPU Frequency and Voltage(VID) Change” in 5.90 like in 6.10
But, in 5.90 I can at least make C6, and Cool’N’Quiet visible for you. Maybe that will help? Also, now that I mention the above ^^, how are you testing 3.8 OC in 5.90 if you can’t change CPU speed via this missing setting???

What BIOS are images in #19 from, and images in #17? Please show me root of advanced, CPU config inner contents, and OC tweaker in full (top to bottom), using BIOS 5.90

I’m testing 3.8 OC because i am sitting at 6.10 crossflashed, and it shows me cpu frequency and voltage. I’ve never said that i’m at 5.90 bios version. All the images are from bios 6.10.

So i have to downgrade to 5.90 and send images of the bios interface?

Is it possible for you to mod it and enable cpu frequency and voltage so i don’t have to flash it twice? (To downgrade to crossflashed 5.90 and then crossflashed modded 5.90)

If you can mod 5.90 and send me the bios file so i can flash just once, i would really appreciate it. But i also have no trouble if you ask me to downgrade first so you can see the bios interface.

I have a possibility to get Asrock b350 gaming K4 board for very cheap, only problem is that the bios is corrupted. I checked online and apparently b450 gaming k4 is pretty much the same board on the important parts (VRM etc) with just some different ports and a pump header. Any idea if flashing b450 bios into it with a clip has any chance of working? Would also be interesting as the b450 series is already getting zen3 bioses.

I saw a post where a guy flashed a B350 mobo with B450 bios and it worked.

Edit: Here’s that post

I suspect that MSI and Gigabyte may be using B350 chipsets for some of their A320 motherboards.

These A320 motherboards support overclocking;

MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS (2nd link)
MSI A320M-VD PLUS
MSI A320M PRO-VHL
MSI A320M-A PRO MAX
MSI A320M PRO-VD/S V2
MSI A320M PRO-M2 V2

Gigabyte A320M-S2H V2 (Rev 1.1)
Gigabyte A320M-H

No ASRock A320 motherboards support overclocking AFAIK.

Also note that there are two version of the Ryzen 3 1200 and as they are different process nodes they have different microcodes;

Ryzen 3 1200 14nm Summit Ridge = B1 stepping = CPUID 00800F11

Ryzen 3 1200 12nm Pinnacle Ridge = B2 stepping = CPUID 00800F82

I have MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS with Ryzen 5 3600 and it does not overclock. The options are there but they do nothing. PPT is also limited to 88W.

Interesting, that is a 6 core CPU with SMT which pulls a lot more current than a quadcore - I don’t think the VRM on that board can handle it.

Have you checked your VRM temps?

What is your max turbo on all cores? Does it even reach 4.2 GHz?

Yes, I checked the VRM area with an IR thermometer. The hottest points are the chokes - they are only around 60C when running Prime95 small FFTs on all cores.
Max turbo in Prime95 is 3600, in Cinebench 3700 (because PPT hits the 88w limit under those loads). It can boost up to 4200 in games.
There is an option in bios to set the PPT manually but if I set it higher than 88w it does not change the actual wattage. It only works if I set it lower than 88w.

I consider trying to get it crossflashed with a B450 bios to work around that 88w PPT limit. A bios from MSI B450M-PRO-VDH-PLUS seem like a good candidate for that.

Ty for that! Well, the board is purchased and the ch341a & soic8 are ordered so soon i’ll get to testing. If b450 bios is a flop and something important doesnt work ill just have to flash it back to b350, my current mobo will have to go anyways as the LLC limiting daily OC’s.

@Winland - Just dump the current BIOS, in case you need any info from it later, then program in the proper BIOS (or the other BIOS if you want to try)

@Lost_N_BIOS yeah will do, the current bios is messed up tho so I dont know if anything useful can be gotten from it. Bad flash rendered the board useless for the previous owner.

@Winland
You can probably try the Ctrl+Home method of bios recovery before flashing with a programmer.

@smp on asrock mobo that involves what? Never heard of such a thing. Could save me from waiting for the ch341a to be delivered, the original bios is shot tho and does not even post.

There is a standard method of recovery for AMI bios.
Copy the bios file to the root of FAT/FAT32 formatted USB drive. Insert it to a rear USB2 port. Press and hold CTRL+HOME (some sources say to press CTRL+ALT+HOME) and power on the board. If the bootloader is still functional it should read the drive and flash the bios.
If it doesn’t work try to rename the bios file to AMIBOOT.ROM.

Will try that later when I have time to pull out the cpu from my main rig. Thanks!

I received the CH341A programmer and a test clip from China and I realized that I also need a 1.8v adapter. The bios chip is Winbond W25Q128.W.
Another thing is that the test clip’s quality is horrendous. The plastic is very fragile, so after a couple of unsuccessful attempts to make a good contact it’s now impossible to clamp it to the chip. I should have ordered like 10 of those clips.

Received ch341a and soic8 clip today, perfect timing as my christmas vacation just started and I had the time needed to mess with my pc. All in all the b350 gaming k4 took b450 gaming k4 bios without any problems and now works normally! Swapped that in my pc, overclocking and memory tuning will have to wait for another day tho as it is christmas after all. Great success anyhow and the cost can be recouped by selling the old working mobo!

Didnt use any 1.8V adaptors, luckily anything didnt burn. I tested it with replacement bios chip before just to be sure no smokeshow lol

Now I’m interested in this too. I have a MSI X370 Gaming Plus motherboard and MSI released a new BIOS for the MSI X470 Gaming Plus, which supports the new Ryzen processors. As far as I can see, these two boards are pretty much identical. Even the previous BIOS changelogs are identical.
I would test a crossflash but I don’t have the possibility to revert the changes if something goes wrong.

Get a CH341a programmer, a clip and 1.8v adapter. The chip should be MXIC 25U12873F or similar 16mb ROM. Let me know how it goes-- It should work. There are several MSI 400 series motherboards that have exactly the same components as 300 series. I want to buy a cheap b350 like a b350m pro vdh and try the b450 bios. They look identical and want to support the newer CPUs. I’d like to try a Renoir 4350g CPU, it doesn’t show support on BIOS, but in theory with Combo PI v2 it should work. AMD BIOS tend to come with modules that have microcodes and everything else inside.