AMI INTEL CPU Microcode Update Guide

no problem, we find another cpu :slight_smile:

Hello all.

I have an Alienware Area 51 R2. It has a X99 board in it, manufactured by MSI. I just bought a new ES 16 core E5 V4 to put in, but it wonā€™t boot. It works with an older 10 core ES, though.

Is there any way to add microcode to this? I know the CPU I am trying to get working works on all MSI retail boards.

Thanks, and sorry for being a noob.

Andrew.

@ammoune78 I just updated their latest BIOS-F24c to have the latest Microcodes ('cause I have X99-UD4 board too, obviously I wonā€™t do it for funā€¦). This is a .rom file so you might want to use DOS to flash it.

The link:
https://mega.nz/#!yNIyWSAb!k0jvN_k9NWtTLā€¦DZNw5ExESK7oJ58

And I want to update the Intel-ME too (from 9.1 to 9.5, I think this is the last one which is still comfortable). Any help?

@Pandy - link me to the stock BIOS you are using. Also, please give me the model of the CPU you are using (and itā€™s SSPEC since itā€™s ES), or tell me itā€™s CPUID if you know.
Or maybe @Blizz was replying to you above with BIOS? Blizz, do you mean you want the above file ME FW updated?

Hi. Sadly I donā€™t have the bios. You can only get it as an exe set up program. I donā€™t know if thereā€™s a way to extract the bios from that file.

If you go to dell you can get it there in support. The machine is an area 51 R2, the exe program can be grabbed there.

I am on vacation ATM until Friday,so I canā€™t access it ATM.

The CPU I would like to use is a QHUY which is a 16/32 Broadwell ES. Again I donā€™t have any more info right now.

I know the board is made by MSI for Dell.

@Pandy - that is fine, send me the link to the EXE you are using Fine to wait until you are home, no rush here, plus that will give Blizz time to reply too
* Edit - forgot to ask. What is the CPUID/SSPEC or model of the previous ES you said does work?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ā€¦?driverid=35tyn

There you go fella. A14 is what I flashed on there.

This is the CPUID if what is in it now.

https://valid.x86.fr/5a4ijz

Again Broadwell ES, but has the same microcode as retail Broadwell.

Was the new CPU sold to you as a E5-2683 v4 or v3? Your current CPU is using same microcode/CPUID of the retail CPU of your new one, probably BIOS needs 406F0 too instead of just 406F1 microcodes.
This kind of stuff is tricky though, sometimes you need to find really old microcode for some ES, and or older ME FW etc.

Just checked A14 BIOS, and it already have 406F1 from 2018 and 406F0 from 2015. Can you ask your seller, what microcode revision is needed for that CPU, and what ME FW if he knows.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5ā€¦d=1902924700006

Thatā€™s it there man. Thanks for your help so far itā€™s appreciated.

@Lost_N_BIOS The bios I uploaded was for someone who sent a message few years ago and I thought it was recently, my mistake. Anyway, Iā€™ll be glad to get some help.
I unsuccessfully modded this bios https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Bā€¦99-ud4_f24c.zip to the latest Intel-Microcode (according to UBU-Tool) but now the file is saved as .rom or as .bin and I canā€™t flash neither of them (I tried using FreeDOS and Q-flash but nada, I keep getting an error that the file couldnā€™t be read). And I think it would be nice to update the ME too.

@Blizz - Thanks for clarifying, can you please @tag that member, or quote the post and edit to your reply, so people know what itā€™s about, thanks

rom/bin same/same. Please upload your mod BIOS for me and I will remove Qflash check blocking you from flashing, or you can do it, hereā€™s how, itā€™s only one byte you need to edit
[OFFER] Gigabyte GA-Z370-Aorus Gaming 7 BIOS mod (6)

If you are unsure about your mod BIOS, or even after the above edit Qflash tells you no (And only use Qflash for this, not @BIOS or DOS), let me know and I will redo the mod for you. It could be a bad mod maybe, usually Qflash doesnā€™t tell you the file canā€™t be read.
However, you may need to rename extension to itā€™s original .F24c, but I doubt that, usually this is irrelevant with a good BIOS.

If you end up having me redo the mod, what do you want, just updated ME FW and update all microcodes?

@Pandy - did you message him and ask about your board/model as they mention? At least there, I have a list to compare BIOS with, to see what ME FW and or microcodes are used
Maybe reach out and ask them to confirm, what if any version ME FW is required, and which microcode and revision is needed.
Generally they are terrible and donā€™t want to help, like they donā€™t know about BIOS internal and say ā€œonly BIOS/board on listā€ But you know they know, just too lazy to provide real answer/info

I did message him yes.

I have two X99 rigs. One has an X99 SLI Plus by MSI and has a 14 core BE ES and the other is the Alienware. I was hoping I could get the 16 core QHUY working in the Alienware board.

I have now also bought a MSI X99 Godlike, so if that is okay I will use the Alienware board with the 10 core as a server/nas.

I would have just been nice to keep it original :slight_smile:

If this CPU works with the X99 Godlike, after you test, update itā€™s BIOS to whatever that list said, then let me know and I will use it as the source for the info I wanted. Then I can fix Dell BIOS for you.

Sounds good to me man. He has it listed and which bios to use. Iā€™m just hoping itā€™s not on the first bios, or Iā€™ll need to buy a 5820kā€¦

If you go to the eBay listing I put there it lists the bios you need :slight_smile:

Edit. Listing says MSI Godlike Gaming bios 1.6 or above. I remember spending some time checking, and the retail version of the QHUY was listed on bios 1.6

@Lost_N_BIOS I tried to named it .24c as the original file but no success.
Here is my try to mod the bios: https://mega.nz/#!yNIyWSAb!k0jvN_k9NWtTLā€¦DZNw5ExESK7oJ58

Basically yes, just updating the ME FW and the microcodes would be grate. Thank you sooo much for helping!! :slight_smile:

@Blizz - Rename may or may not be required, but you probably need to do the edit I linked at post #291. That may be all you needed to do was make the edit I linked to allow Qflsh to flash the file.
When you share a file online, please use archive, everyone appreciates this 7zip, rar, zip etc.

OK, I checked that mod, and itā€™s bad mod. FIT Table is broken + Non-UEFI Padding file is removed / Broken at PEI volume where your microcode edit was applied.
SO, here is stock BIOS, modified the one byte mentioned at post #291 link to allow mod BIOS flash via Qflash + I did the microcode updates (All) and fixed FIT Table and then put in the ME FW you had in your mod (Hopefully you did the ME FW correctly!)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?filā€¦889254123592731

Flash via QFlash only, DO NOT FPT Flash that BIOS, itā€™s stock BIOS base

@Pandy - I will wait until you have before I do anything.

@Lost_N_BIOS Thanks for helping me, I would never be able to do it myself. In my modded Bios I uploaded I didnā€™t change the ME FW. So THANK YOU again!

@Blizz - Youā€™re welcome! Well I transferred out stock ME FW to replace stock ME FW then I can do the ME FW update if you want? Or if your ME FW is not corrupt now, you can do from windows using the MW FW update tool?

@Lost_N_BIOS If you donā€™t mind I rather it stock in the bios (also cleaner installation)

@Blizz - OK, up to you. You can update ME FW from within windows using Intel ME FW update tool, itā€™s easy to do, if you want. If you want to do that let me know and I will show you how, link you to the tool package, and the ME FW update file you need.

@Blizz - I was about to update ME FW for you, give you info etc (had it all typed out here too ), but then started doing the work and I checked file before grabbing everything and ME FW is latest already = 9.1.37.1002 - so you are all set!