AMIBCP 5.02.0023 wont save signed bios for ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS

@drevilish - it’s not you, it’s the BIOS. When what you mentioned happens with setup IFR output, just kill the app after a few seconds when you can tell it’s not working, or file will continue to grow until you stop it
I let one go before not noticing and thinking it would stop eventually, 42GB written to my SSD later I noticed

Here is the info you wanted from IFR, but it’s not in exact same format
http://www.filedropper.com/vfr-ifrinfo

If you need me to give you specific things, similar to how you’d normally see it in a regular IFR, you will need to look at some other boards IFR and give me the exact entry/setting example of what you want from this BIOS, and I will decipher it for you from the above.
For example, if you need varstore/varname ID and can’t find it in the above, or if you need the setting option values (like 0x2 {09 07 90 13 00 00 02}), give me a list of what all you want those from and I’ll get you that info from the above file.
It’s same thing that data and IFR, just parsed differently, so it takes some getting used to by comparing side to side with this data vs a regular IFR of the same files output.
Actually, here’s an example of that, using your X99 sabertooth BIOS and showing one exact matching form section in this view vs IFR, so you can use as a reference to get the data you need from the file above.

IFR-Compre-VFR-IFR.png

You could just change the default setting for whatever you want via AMIBCP or grub/setup_var, then anytime you want to go back just reflash stock BIOS and load defaults.

Ouch at least it only crashes the App when it’s doing that and not the whole PC. What’s the way around the issue?

I think I’ve read and understood the two formats and what each bit refers to (not that I’m a BIOS expert :smiley: ) but VarStore and VarName ID are missing as you previously stated. These are the bit’s I was trying to obtain to alter them using the RU tool.

This is the friendliest forum I’ve ever been on :smiley:

Just to edit,
I’m a little puzzled what are IIO0 IIO1 IIO2 IIO3 refering to?
I’m trying to edit the slots, but there are more IIO’s than there are slots as each contains 3 slots.

If I want to hard code settings to bios shoud I just change settings from IIO 0, IIO 1, IIO 2, IIO 3 with AMIBCP?

Like IIO 0 > IOU1 (IIO PCIe Port 3) > Failsafe x16 / Optimal x4x4x4x4.

@raun0 yes, but first test that works and actually changes the BIOS default value, some BIOS it may not and you need to change in setup module instead (or NVRAM)

@drevilish - The only way around it, when either IFR output app fails, is to use another tool and get the VFR instead. VarOffset/Varname is still there in VFR, never mind, I see what you mean now, sorry I thought it was given there.
I’ll have to see if I can figure that out for you another way, that’s easy. If you make a list of which you need exactly, I can give you each ones VarOffset/Varname via hex, but it’s hard to explain how to get that (Well, maybe not, see below).
May be quicker for you to just mod the BIOS with AMIBCP

Here’s time consuming way using VFR info I gave you and hex
Use Question ID String + VarID
questionid = 0x0249 + varid = 0x0001 + = 49 02 01, use this to search the platform module in hex

IIO 0
IOU2 (IIO PCIe Port 1) >> 49 02 01 >> Next two bytes after each of these in little endian = VarOffset/Varname >> 3A 05 >> 0x53A
IOU0 (IIO PCIe Port 2) >> 4A 02 01 >> 32 05 >> 0x532
IOU1 (IIO PCIe Port 3) >> 4B 02 01 >> 36 05 >> 0x536

Repeat above for IIO 1, IIO 2, IIO 3 - if you can’t get the rest let me know and I will gather them for you

As for your question on IIO0 IIO1 IIO2 etc, you’ll have to look around here at one of the larger bifurcation topics, I don’t use this so can’t advise, but I know they’ve discussed it at length in a few threads (Search bifurcation, one of the larger threads is about NVME - sorry M.2 in title not NVME)
Here, one of these should have your answers
[Guide] - How to Bifurcate a PCI-E slot
[GUIDE] Adding Bifurcation Support to ASUS X79 UEFI BIOS
[REQUEST] How to connect 2 M.2 SSDs to the same PCIe slot?

I just signed up to this forum so I could say a massive thanks to @Lost_N_BIOS for this guide to editing the BIOS, re-inserting with the hex editor and then using flashback to load it up. Brilliant stuff and I now have extra options in my Z10PE-D16 WS BIOS. You’re a top bloke mate!

New problems coming with Windows 10, BIOS updates are now coming directly from Microsoft, which means loaded custom BIOS’s will get overwritten with the latest from the Manufacturers.

@foxbat - Thank you for your kind words, and appreciation!! Stop in any time if you need help with BIOS, I’ll try to help ya out

@drevilish - YES!! This is MASSIVE problem, I’ve probably had to help at least 20+ people recover their laptops from bricked BIOS updates via forced windows updates (across various models too)
You can stop this by disabling windows updates from getting manufacturer drivers during windows updates, or something named like that in the windows update settings or in Group Policy Editor (I forget which, but I know it’s there in one of these things)

Hi, my first post as I registered due to changing my 4nvme card for x4 x4 x4 x4 and WOW … what an interesting journey! Thanks for it guys! But im having an issue with a hex editor … never used one before and never modified my bios before as well so im kinda looking for some guidance more like help … something is wrong, I go to line 800 and deleting everything from it to the end on original then copying everything from line 800 from modified to original but nothing is happening and it shows me few bytes more than original …
P.s. im actually saving the original CAP file with its original name which was provided by Asus ( downloaded from Asus website )
P.p.s. what is im doing wrong?
P.p.p.s. im changing only my last slot for it as I have no other place to place it.
P.p.p.p.s. my Asus board is running Linux but im doing everything on my other pc running W10.