[ARCHIVE] Outdated UBU Tool related Questions, Reports and Suggestions

Thank you! Yes, I read it, but it sounds a bit too complicated and I am not sure it’s worth the effort. Hopefully Sonix will find a way to circumvent the protection in his UBU Tool.

Hello,
some languages are still not displayed.
v8.4.09

@SoniX
When I use UBU to update the following;

EFI IRST
EFI GOP Driver HSW-BDW
EFI Lx Killer

I get these messages:
parseSection: PE32 image with invalid DOS signature
File replaced

Is this normal?

@Spindle [Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions, Reports and Suggestions (297)

Ok I made a couple of discoveries:

1) The last 1.6x version from the Mega repo has all the RAID option roms already there, whereas the version I had from a while back did not.
2) The reason why it’s referencing devices 2822/282a is because that’s what those devices "become" when RAID is selected

Now my question is the following:

I believe the way it’s understood is that if you’re running AHCI mode, then RAID OROM is irelevant. My chipset is H61 so I don’t even have the capability of using RAID, but in EFI mode (and in legacy mode for that matter), are the EFI module and RAID OROM irelevant to the driver version?

…or should I update to the 12.x OROMs and use the 12.x driver?

Thanks

@SoniX

I have downloaded mainly and tested latest AMD 990FX chipset based various mainboard bioses from MSI 3, Asus 7, Gigabyte 7+, (I will give full detail at the bottom, there might be more.)

Sadly, none of those mainboard’s CPU microcode updates are upgradeable by UBU! They all can support AMD FX-8xxx and some of them FX-9xxx serie. Those mainboards have Spectre patches, but none of their microcodes are upgradeable by UBU.

Their CPU microcodes are present inside CSMCORE and there is no utility to modify this file for CPU upgrade. UBU can only extract microcodes by pressing X.

There are many other lower chipsets other than 990FX like 990X, 970, 8xx etc. seemingly they all are at the same situation.

Can you please work for CPU microcode modification(s) for this CSMCORE file? (Actually there are many more things in it for upgrading, as you know.)
There is an urgent need for CSMCORE modifying tool!

Thanks in advance…

My tested ones:
MSI 990FX chipset: 990FXA-GD90, 990FXA-GD65, 990FXA Gaming…
Asus 990FX chipset: Sabertooth, Sabertooth R2, Sabertooth Gen 3 R2, Sabertooth R3, M5A99FX PRO R2.0, Formula V, Formula V Z…
Gigabyte 990FX chipset: GA-990FXA-UD7, GA-990FXA-UD5, GA-990FXA-UD5 R5, GA-990FXA-UD3, GA-990FXA-UD3 R5, GA-990FXA-UD3 Ultra, GA-990FX Gaming… (+ = I have also tested various pcb bios revisions 1.x, 2.x, 3.x etc.)

Note: I have found a manual way, explaining how to do it! → Need help to update Microcode for FX-8350 on AMD 990FX-Board

Did the above job manually with HxD Hex editor.

Erased: cpu00600F20_ver06000822_2013-01-03_8690F440.bin
İnserted: cpu00600F20_ver06000852_2018-02-06_893C1544.bin

saved, tried to check it with the latest UBU version UBU_v1.70.rc14.2_without-MMTool, used patched version of MMTool_v5.02.0024 but when reading, it said:

The input image is not Aptio V. → Closed the window,
At Ubu window appeared → ^CTerminate batch job (Y/N)? → Pressed N, checked the result, well my insertion was successful.

I have tried to saved the modified cap file as bios.bin but after running UBU again, same error repeated!

I have replaced the .bin file correctly, checked the size, Length(h): 800800 unchanged, repeated “paste insert” 3 times, by freshly starting every time on Hex editor to be sure, on my SABERTOOTH-990FX-GEN3-R20-ASUS-2501.CAP bios file.

What to think about for this error?

Lately, I have tried the same job with using unpatched MMTool_v5.02.0024, no error messages displayed this time!

@Lost_N_BIOS those are not off topic. Probably you did not read it well…

@karakarga

This can be done manually, for now until UBU can have this functionality. Via UEFITool and hex, or possibly MMTool too. Is there a specific BIOS you need updated?

OROM VBIOS Carrizo @ 015.048.000.071
(old @ 015.048.000.070.007160)

vbios_3AC6EC40-D996-42CE-80A1-905D63EAAA43.zip (38.9 KB)

Does it make sense to update a bios every time a new version of UBU is released and includes updated CPU Microcodes? In other words should a bios contain the latest CPU Microcodes?

@kyriacos
If you are satisfied with the microcode version in the new BIOS file, it is not boring to update.

How can I be satisfied with a new microcode version if I don’t update the bios first?

What is the last version of microcode for Kaby Lake i7 7700 before meltdown and spectre patches?
I heard that this patches decrease perfomance of CPU

As far as I understood SoniX, he meant, that it is your decision, whether you want or need to flash a new BIOS version, which is offered by the mainboard manufacturer. After having done that, you can evaluate, whether an update of the CPU Microcode by using the UBU tool is necessary resp. useful for you or not.

@Fernando :
The motherboard I am using is no longer supported by its manufacturer. They did release a beta bios to add support for the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities, but these CPU Microcodes are now outdated and I am sure they are not going to release an official bios. So, I decided to use the latest official bios instead and with the UBU Tool I successfully updated the CPU Microcodes. I don’t expect Intel to continue releasing CPU Microcodes for older CPUs, but if they do I am willing to give them a try.

@SoniX ,
I do observe abnormal thing with the the last RC 15 version (option µCode):
With previous RC 14.2, all is OK, but with RC 15 I get some problem:

RC142_Main__23oct18.PNG

RC142_Opt_5_2_23oct18.PNG

RC15_1_23oct18.PNG

RC15_Main_23oct18.PNG

RC15_Option_5_23oct18.PNG

RC15_Option_5_X_23oct18.PNG

RC 15 version worked OK here on Z77 platform.

Capture.JPG

@100PIER
It seems that your antiviral program blocks the launch of the MCE.

@SoniX

It is strange because the both tests were done strictely, on the same day, same hour, on the same machine with the same antiviral program.

I do observe MCE version has been changed (now now v1.24.1).
This new MCE version is now suspect for EMSISOFT antiviral program, previous MCE version was not suspected.

The current analysis does detect a “Gen:Variant.Ursu.322068 (B)” virus:

Début d’analyse : 23/10/2018 17:56:03
D:\ASUS_SABERTOOTH_X99\BIOS\UBU_v1.70.rc15_without-MMTool.rar -> MCE.exe Gen:Variant.Ursu.322068 (B) [krnl.xmd]

I have send the file to EMSISOFT Technical Virus analysis for in depth investigation.

I have done further analysis with Bitdefender application and do detect a problem with .rar file:

BitDefender_Analysis_RC15_file.PNG

@Fernando
Why this problem with RC15 .rar file offered ?

OROM Realtek 2.5 GB PXE - 3.00

BIOS

mod: …or this is normal?

@100PIER
https://github.com/platomav/MCExtractor/…tag/v1.24.1-r86

@westlake
http://www.realtek.com.tw/press/newsViewOne.aspx?NewsID=454