ASRock H81 Pro BTC R2.0: How to made successful mod for Broadwell?

Yes, maybe false advertising, we’d have to have the board to test. So, maybe I have one of those boards in the lab here, I’ll dig around and see. Edit, yes I have one!! Not sure Rev. until I find the board though, but it’s here in my inventory list so I’m sure I have it.

But, I’m not sure I have a Broadwell CPU, I normally have at least 1-2 cheap CPU’s from each socket series, Celeron or pentiums, what model names would those be for Broadwell?

The most common Broadwell are i5 5675c and i7 5775c, but forget to get one cheap. You are lucky enaugh if you can find one.

At the moment I have some MSI H81 Board here but will try to get few more, at least one B85 and Z87 board.

No, I don’t have either of those, I’d recognize the name. Is there any Pentium or Celeron ones? I have lots of boards here, but mainly only top end I7 CPU’s or bottom end Pentium/Celeron, for this socket I think I have a few i3/i5 I think, and then Pentium/celeron
I’ll see if I can find a complete Broadwell list, if I have a CPU then I can test and confirm the above claim to see if it’s false advertising or not, if not we can figure out the key!

I found list on wiki, I don’t have any of those I only have Haswell/Kaby Lake

Only these 2 desktop cpu are broadwell. Maybe a user that is fluent in chinese language can help us out. There is some mobile to LGA1150 CPU on taobao available. We could ask the seller if they can do the same with broadwell mobile cpu, they are much cheaper then desktop ones.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/912…ket-laptop-cpu/

BTW: Found a MSI board with ME 9.1.3. This board has 4th and 5th gen support on product page. And even the Microde 40671 is installed in bios. Bingo!

https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H81M-ECO

Good hunting job! No Asrock H81 to compare with though, MSI build BIOS different so many things will not be same, I would never be able to find correct/all changes.
Do you have flash programmer? If yes, I can make BIOS with that specific ME and specific microcode for the Asrock H81 and you can test (If you can’t make BIOS I mean)

I think it will no help. Many motherboard based on H81 has ME 9.1 but can’t boot Broadwell :frowning:

At first you need to patch in PEI volume:

• MemoryInit
  • SBPEI
  • NBPEI
  • SaPolicyInitPei
  • SaInitPeim

At second - in DXE volume:
  • CpuInitDxe
  • PowerMgmtDxe
  • SmBusMemoryDown
  • NBDXE
  • NBSMI
  • SaInitDxe
  • SaLateInitSmm
  • CSMCORE
  • AcpiPlatform
  • CppcDxe
  • Setup

All these modules contain 70 06 04 00. It’s mask for Broadwell’s CPUID: 4067x

1 Like

Thank you for stopping in and helping us with your great knowledge on BIOS topics @DeathBringer

I will inspect that BIOS and it’s modules you mention above that has “Broadwell Compatible” in it’s CPU QVL list, maybe I can see how to edit the Asrock BIOS. If it’s done in disassembler/assembler I probably can’t do it, still learning on being able to decipher stuff there.

@Lost_N_BIOS , try to copy & past by UEFITool :slight_smile:

It’s Crystal Well, not Broadwell

I know, that´s why I wrote to ask the seller if they can solder broadwell mobile cpu to it.

@DeathBringer - do you think copy/paste entire modules from MSI board to Asrock board would work? Or that’s too much different between brands, that is a lot of modules. If only I had Broadwell CPU, that would make this much easier since I could test myself, quick and no worries about killing someone’s board.

Sorry, but I’not sure that it’s safe.

I thought not! What did you mean to copy then? Is any of that done in assembly, or hex only after module extraction?

@JanCerny since you are the only one here with Broadwell CPU, do you have flash programmer? If not, then it’s waste of time for me to mod all that, even once I figure out what to edit, without programmer it will be too risky for you to test.

@Lost_N_BIOS
You can try to copy one by one. But you need a hardware programmer to restore.

Yes, I knew programmer would be necessary! Wish I could test myself, that would be much better/easier/quicker.

I was ordered used H97 Aniversary with official support. I will try crossflash - these boards have similar layout.

Broadwell has stuck in customs clearance.

edit: I was switch SPI chips between these boards without any success - no POST, just running fans. H81 = W25Q32CV (32Mbit), H97 = W25Q64CV (64Mbit).

I looked back, sorry I must have missed you saying that already! I am not surprised crossflash/chip-swap failed, that’s not even close to same

Since you have programmer, then we can play. Let me know when your CPU arrives, in meantime I will start looking at this BIOS stuff DeathBringer mentioned.

Do you want full BIOS dump from both boards?

Both boards? Do you have the MSI H81M-ECO too? If so, yes dump from both would be great.

http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7817vW7.zip