Asrock X79 Extreme 6 Bios w-NVMe request

Is this with the new BIOS I sent you above at post #19? If yes, is it doing that always, or only if/after you try to adjust bifurcation settings?
Slow down You can flash BIOS from windows with their software I think, try not to resort to DOS with AFU, but if you have to don’t use old ES version, use modern V4 or V5

If it is due to the new BIOS, I will redo once more, once you finally recover, I’ll go back to old original edit, but hide all the dupes instead

Also, check your manual, I bet there is a hotkey to push from any BIOS page, or before/during POST to load instant flash, so you don’t have to enter Advanced

* Edit - Yes @Midnightorion - F6 during boot/POST will take you to Instant Flash

It was after the last bios you provided it started this. I found the F6 option. So all good there.

There is no OS loaded on this unit yet. Don’t even have a hdd or ssd hooked up to it. Just a bare unit with CPU and 1 stick of ram for testing at the moment. :wink:

Glad you got it! OK, for now go ahead and go back to that first one, so you can at least figure out what slots = what setting in BIOS.
I will work from that and hide the dupes

* Edit - @Midnightorion - here, should be much better now (I also left the two ME submenus visible, in case you ever need later)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…688069300748762

^^ Repackaged with change log - New link, tested, confirmed OK and proper ^^

Lost_N_BIOS your help has been much appreciated. After playing with the BIOS and enabling the Bifuriciation and all, I was able to see my NVMe drive. However, I believe this is confirming what I feared all along. My processor is dying. I’ve swapped it from the RIVBE board, when I was getting the whea_uncorrectable error messages. I figure ok, maybe I’ve got some pin corrosion or something from the years of service. Guess not. RIP 4930. Here I come new build I guess :wink:

@Midnightorion - Thanks. So, was last BIOS more properly done, only the new NB and 2x ME submenus visible in the Advanced section now?

As for your CPU errors, that may mean you need to tweak voltages, especially if you were holding a high voltage overclock for years, just needs more voltage now (probably even at stock, set more than auto and see if the errors go away)

Good thing here is now many 2011 CPU’s are cheap, especially some of the nice Xeons! So you can possibly score a pretty decent CPU for under $50-75
See here for good list of choices laid out with brief info (bit dated though)
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/849…sion-thread-10/

Only the E5-16xx v1 and v2 chips are overclockable, such as E5-1680v2. The 16xx CPUs are multiplier unlocked just like the k and x series.
Of course, these cost a lot more than the lower clocked locked ones, so you will have to shop around a bit if you want to get a cheaper model
so you can find one with speeds/cores you like at a decent price

Some of those are 12TC/24T too, see user here on X79-UD3 using E5-2655V2 at post #17
https://hardforum.com/threads/anyone-dro…9-x99s.1982137/

Huge discussion thread here
https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-…-you-cared.html

Thanks for the info.

Yeah that bios worked perfectly. Clean and everything I would ever need was there. Appreciate that. I left the unit setup just waiting to come across the right CPU to stuff back in there and give it a good run.

I never really overclocked this processor, it’s always been left on auto for the auto over lock, but that’s a good idea, I’ll research a reasonable voltage for this guy and give it a go. Maybe that’ll help with my issue on my rampage board :thinking:

Great, thanks for the info, I will remove all previous links, and repackage that at last link location (for others in the future)

Odd to hear about the CPU giving those errors at stock, maybe due to some memory errors too possibly then? I’d imagine at stock/auto it would be OK forever.
Unless maybe you put in high speed memory and used XMP, then auto/XMP would crank up the Vtt, which can cause degradation

* Edit @Midnightorion - you never did send me images of IOH contents, so I can see if anything still hidden that needs further revealed in there

Sorry about that, as soon as I get a processor for it, I’ll get some images from the IOH and send your way :+1:

*Edit: Ordered Intel Xeon E5-2650V2 SR1A8 2.60GHz 8 Cores 95W on Ebay for $50.00 after tax and shipping, I paid $18 once my Ebay Bucks was applied

So… Hopefully by Saturday it’ll be here and I can pop it in the pc and test it out. I’ll get you those pics then. If all goes well, I’ll probably give it to one of my kids :wink:

@Midnightorion - It’s OK, I assumed your CPU still worked (as in bootable to BIOS), so you could get images. I didn’t consider it may not work at all enough for you to get into BIOS.

Nice score on the CPU, especially w/ the ebay bucks off!! You can’t beat 8C/16T for $18

Hi, i use the modded bios and works perefecly.
One more request, it would be possible to update the me.
I have tried it with FWUpdate and it seems to work but on reboot it puts the default version back.
I attch. the images of modded bios and me update.
Thanks @Lost_N_BIOS

x79e6.zip (673 KB)

@malaquita - Here you go, BIOS from #23 used as base, hopefully all is OK I hate X79 ME FW
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…602653567950636

Change Log -
1. NVME Mod Insert
2. BIOS Menu edit for Bifurcation (@ Advanced >> NB Config (Second/new one) >> IOH
3. Additional 2x ME submenus enabled while doing above (@ Advanced)
4. ME FW update from 8.1.40.1416 >> to >> 8.1.70.1590 (Latest)

@Lost_N_BIOS
It doesn’t work, flash is ok, but when rebooting to boot it goes back to 8.1.40.1416.
It is the same as with FWupdater, it makes a small start but quickly restarts and reflashes 8.1.40.1416
I don’t know what else to try
Thanks.

@malaquita - I’ve never seen such thing happen, especially if ME FW is updated via BIOS update, must be something specific to Asrock I’ll check around in google.

So, this is known Asrock thing!! They have a backup ME FW inside BIOS region (@ B3160739-1365-48A7-AECB-038652E2B528), if ME FW does not match then it’s replaced with the one in BIOS volume
I see these two discussions about this -
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools (76)
https://github.com/corna/me_cleaner/issues/126

Do you have a flash programmer in case I get the edit wrong, @lordkag discussed enough there that I think I can do same in assembly, but I don’t see him posted here too often now so not sure if he would stop in here to do it for us.
Never mind, I can see what he did with assembly to do the second method, but I cannot do that (not enough assembly skills). So I would require doing method one for you, which is not tested there, so flash programmer is required if you want to move forward

Or, it’s possible, that method #3 can be used (my idea, what we do in Asus), remove the backup ME FW module entirely.

plutomaniac - Have you see ME FW backup module (B3160739-1365-48A7-AECB-038652E2B528) being removed entirely to prevent Asrock ME FW recovery post update?
Or, have you seen lordkag’s “Method 1” (replace both with same/same) tested from above link in forums here?

I don’t have one, but I can purchase one and wait until it arrives for testing.
Do you(@ Lost_N_BIOS @plutomaniac ) have any recommendations?
Many Thanks.
Regards.

I remember that ASRock and ASUS were mostly using such trickery 4-5 years ago but a long time has passed and I don’t remember details anymore. One of the two definitely involved AMITSE editing. You can try to also update the BIOS GUID and see if it still triggers. If yes, something else (AMITSE ?) needs fixing. Lordkag’s posts from back in the day had all the info I think.

@malaquita - that would be best, you need CH341A + U Type Flat IC Extractor, if you need linked examples let me know. YOu can get both for under $4 total shipped on ebay, but that’s with slow 3-5 week shipping, or you can usually find faster for more $$ on ebay or amazon etc.

plutomaniac - Thanks, I did link lordkags comments on this above, at least one of the times he discussed and edited it for someone. I checked the files he edited too, and I can’t do that in assembly to AMITSE, but I can do the “Method 1” he discussed there (ie replace both), but they ended up not testing and going route #2
Since you don’t remember, hopefully we can get method #1 to work, once he has programmer, otherwise I don’t think I can help here and he’ll have to remain on old ME FW. I know on Asus, even current BIOS, we can just remove the module entirely to prevent this, maybe that can be last resort here too, if method #1 fails.

Hi, i bought this one
https://www.amazon.es/gp/aw/d/B07DJ4GF3N…ob_b_prod_image

It Will arrive on friday.

@malaquita - You also need U type flat IC Extractor, seems this is only one on your amazon, so maybe best to look elsewhere because on ebay it’s only $1 USD shipped
https://www.amazon.es/Rtengtunn-Protecci…r/dp/B0828YXFFY

Is this OK?
https://cablematic.com/es/productos/pinz…-gcp-002-TK092/
Thanks.

@malaquita - What is BIOS chip ID, read it off the chip, don’t rely on software to tell you. And, what software/version did you dump this with? Asking in case I need to tell you to use certain version to write etc.
DO NOT write the BIOS I sent previously, that is stock BIOS edited. I will have to edit ME FW in your dumped BIOS, or if you know how you can swap ME FW region from the one I sent you into this one, using UEFITool 25, but still maybe wait in case what I said above is true and you need to use certain software or version or write may fail.

Ohh! Sorry, I thought that was your BIOS backup, and hadn’t went to grab it until I typed out all of the above At least it’s there now ^^

Yes, that is what you need to safely pull out the chip