Asus FX505 / FX705 Bios modificatios to get hdd password

Hi,

Unfortunately FX505 / FX705 series comes without hdd password setting function. We could of course have long discussion why Asus is blocking it (while other companies give this possibility in their gaming laptops). However how can I enable ata hdd password in Bios.

I’ve found few manuals threads here. However few things are still unclear to me.

What type of Bios is that Aptio V, Aptio 4, AmiBios 8? When downloading tools from https://ami.com/en/products/bios-uefi-to…uefi-utilities/ I have to select the correct version. Please note that it’s graphical Bios for this model.

Do you expect that there will be any issues with flasing modified Bios? (sometimes Bios update is blocked and then using many complicated tricks is required, reading the forum here it was not fully clear for me how to execute this as I’m not too advanced)?

Is there any way to flash this modified Bios using bios flash function or should I use AFU only?

AFAIU, AFU works also under dos, but is there any dos or linux version of AMIBCP? Or the only option for Bios editing is to find a laptop with Win? Is Win7 sufficient?

If I backup current bios, edit it and re-program using AFU, will I keep all “private” data like serial number etc.?

Did anyone tried to modify Bios for this model?

And btw, do you know if hdd password work only for hdd disks or also for m.2/nvme ssd in Ami Bios for Asus ?

Thanks a lot for help.

@ken-wawa - Yes, it can possibly be enabled, and yes, there is always an issue with flashing mod BIOS but there is usually a way around that (If not, spend $6 and get CH341A + SOIC8 test clip cable on ebay)
You can only use certain AFU with certain BIOS, and only certain AFU/Methods can flash in mod BIOS, none of those will be available to you on the AMI website.

Since this is Intel based system, best way to flash mod BIOS is Intel FPT method - Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

If you are stuck on Win10 and cannot easily get command prompt, and method I mentioned above does not work for you, here is some links that should help
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-add-c…creators-update
https://www.windowscentral.com/add-open-…menu-windows-10
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/open-…ator-privileges

And yes, if you backup with FPT, edit, then reflash with FPT all board specific data will be contained within your backup thus reprogrammed back during the flash.

I can’t say for sure, but I assume HDD pass works for any hard drive type that is visible within the BIOS. So that may not apply to NVME but would definitely apply to regular SSD

You mentioned two models, which do you have? Never mind, I checked both BIOS, neither have any HDD password options, not even hidden or within debug folder settings. There is only BIOS/Setup entry, MEBx/AMT, TPM, and secure boot password type settings.
So yes, they totally removed it, not just disabled it, you’ll have to email them and ask for special BIOS and they might add back for you. They left the help strings and text entries for these in the BIOS, so they can easily add back the menu options in the security section

Hi,

First big thank you for your answer and help. :slight_smile:

As I can see that’s more complicated story than I expected. I don’t own any of these two laptops. They are on my buying shortlist as I really like their design and I have impression they fit the best my requirements. However this hdd password option is important for me. Thus before buying I wanted to check if I can easily add it.

I was sure that this option is only blocked in Bios as some other Asus models provide it. However it looks like that it’s fully removed so just simple unblocking will not help. :frowning:

I’m wondering if there is any chance that they provide such a special Bios. Have you ever heard about Asus providing it?

One thing more, what if I set hdd password in other way, ex. using Linux and hddparm. Will bios still have option to ask for hdd password when booting? Or will it simply display that disk as blocked?

I really don’t understand why Asus making such a great laptop is removing this possibility important probably for many guys. It doesn’t cost them at all and still it would be some additional value.

Do you have any suggestions how to contact Asus in the best way?

Once again thanks a lot for help.

Hey can i disable Intel Graphics on my FX505GE?