Asus Q302L BIOS update problems

@Lost_N_BIOS - It has only one sticker on the back lid SN: EBN0CJIRR04A458 you could see it at offset 0x230000 in flash dump file. It doesn’t have onboard LAN, only WiFi.
Unfortunately I don’t have any flash backup before I’ve been stuck with 205 update.

@tarask1n - Yes, that one is there I saw before asking, but it’s not the serial I was referring to. Great no onboard LAN, but that is different than Techsavvydad’s system, how is this possible?
Well, nothing more I can do than, except give you this with your info padding moved over and updated fixed ME FW into 203 BIOS. I can update CPU microcodes too if you want?
This has your NVRAM from dump, may = brick. If so, let me know and I will put in stock 203 NVRAM only (Actually, just included both, try “WithNVRAM” first)
FD Unlocked in both, so you can use FPT to flash in windows now once you program either in (BIOS lock may need disabled via grub, but I left that as-is and I can show you how to disable later if needed)
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…893466125926040

@Lost_N_BIOS - About your comment that @Techsavvydad laptop had other configuration. It is not possible ASUS Q302 https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/Q302/specifications/ doesn’t have onboard LAN adapter.

Well I mainly meant that his MAC ID was stored in BIOS by default where yours is not, so I assumed it was onboard LAN. It was odd to see your info area not similar to his

@Lost_N_BIOS - thank you very much for provided BIOSes. Please update the microcode data to the latest.

@tarask1n - OK, I can do. Did you test already? If yes, which one worked OK? I will edit that one only
I’ll do NVME mod too if you want?

@Lost_N_BIOS - thank you one more time for your help and support.
I’ve tested your NVRAM version before, it is completely matched with mine prepared for restore except FD write access six bytes. It is Ok. I found that my laptop has two additional hardware problems. The first one - the cable which connect HDD is damaged and the problem “Inaccessible boot device” was not in BIOS settings… The second - the CMOS battery is discharged (1,2 V) and the problem with Windows 10 sleep and reboot failures also was not in BIOS settings. So initially I had normally fixed BIOS but due to these problems I resoldered and reflashed BIOS chip three times

Did you have any information about discharged CMOS battery may lead to problem with BIOS update ? I mean that successful 205 update may be possible if battery was in normal condition.

@tarask1n - You are welcome!! If HDD cable is damaged, then you can’t boot to any HDD attached to that cable. Are you sure it’s damaged, or maybe just not inserting correctly?
Yes, Inaccessible boot device is not a BIOS setting this is letting you know you need to set main HDD to be first in the BIOS hard drive boot priority @ Boot >> Boot Option Priorities - but HDD may not show up if cable is damaged

Sorry, unsure what you mean about sleep/reboot problems. This may just be BIOS bug, if you can’t sleep and resume system, or could be related to the CMOS battery (unsure, replace it and you will find out)
Yes, sometimes if CMOS battery is not good it may not update BIOS properly during a normal BIOS Update, and every time main power is lost BIOS would be reset to fail safe instead of optimal defaults. Replace the CMOS battery and that should go away (battery should be 1.3V or so)
1.2V may still be OK, but I would replace it soon. Does the clock time keep if you remove main power cable and main battery and wait 10-15 minutes, or BIOS and clock is reset after this? if reset, then you need to replace battery soon as you can.

No, BIOS 205 is broken, this is Asus issue we confirmed on page one, it’s nothing to do with your machine at all.

So you want update microcodes in “WithNVRAM” BIOS I sent you? Order SOIC8 test clip with cable, so you don’t have to always solder/desolder

@Lost_N_BIOS - Yes, please update microcodes in “WithNVRAM” BIOS you sent me.

Yes, HDD cable is damaged by the edge of HDD tray holder. I’ve ordered the new one from Aliexpress. CMOS battery should be 3.0 V, so mine is inoperable. If I disconnect AC power and battery connector the time and date reset to 01.01.2009. I replaced the battery yesterday and sleep mode and reboot working fine. I have SOIC8 test clip with cable but for that laptop model signal forming is not enough to get stable communication between the programmer and BIOS chip soldered on motherboard. It leads to data distortion during read / write operations.

I was sure that “no detected HDD” / “inaccessible boot device” and sleep / reboot failures in Windows are BIOS NVRAM incorrect problems. But it is not a valid case.

@tarask1n Duhhhh Ohh my!! Yes, sorry, for some reason I was thinking low voltage memory or something Yes, CMOS battery should be 3.3V new, less than 3V and it starts going bad.

For your SOIC8 / programmer issue, probably just wrong software version for your chip ID (or you need to leave main power cable and main battery installed, or remove both if you were doing with)
What is your BIOS chip ID?

Here is WithNVRAM + all microcodes updated to latest (which = 1 updated, other was already latest) + Fix FIT
ME FW I already updated to latest previously
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…969096824597518

@Lost_N_BIOS - winbond 25q64fvsiq
I flashed withnvramucode2FIT BIOS all works fine.

@tarask1n - What software and ID have you been using? In my testing, for general CH341A and W25Q64FV, you need to use 1.30 or 1.34 and W25Q64BV ID or all writes will fail
Thanks for report back, good to hear all is OK with the ucode updated BIOS

@Lost_N_BIOS - I’m using Coright EP01 with latest FW 1.2.0.3 It correctly recognised Winbond chip and flashed it well when the chip is not soldered (non ISP mode).

Good to know, I don’t recognize any of that, so must be some programmer I’m not familiar with.

It is very popular programmer on Aliexpress market which has enormous amount of clones called EZP2010, EZP2013 etc.

Ahh, yes, I am familar with EZP20xx models, but I’ve never used them. What year kit did you get? I may have to pick one up sometime just for testing purposes

2013 design board.

Chalk up a third person with Q302LA 205 BIOS issues. I was doing the same thing as the OP after a RAM upgrade, and started with the recommended BIOS update. Same non-boot scenario as above.

Just purchased a CH341A, so I have a day or so to learn how to flash it properly. Can someone point me to some links on what I need to know?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

The same thing happened to me with the update of bios 205 of the Q302L notebook, the screen freezes and I cannot access the bios setup. This update is done on January 26 after changing ram and ssd (previous Bios 203). I am waiting for programmer CH341A to be able to start the process described in the guide and follow the steps with which you helped to solve @Techsavvydad.

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS and rest of the people suffering from the bad 205 update,

Count me as yet another person facing the same problem. I updated my laptop with a new SSD and then went on to update the BIOS (since I was at 203 and the website showed me 205). I am a noob, however, and I used the ASUS Winflash utility downloaded from their website. Everything looked like it went smoothly, didn’t see any errors and the verification of the image was successful. But lo and behold, all I saw was the ASUS logo.

I read through this thread and have learned that it is indeed 205 that is screwing with everyone. Lost_N_BIOS, thank you for helping everyone with this. I am hoping you are able to help me too.

Since I am totally new at this, what is it that I need tov do to be able to provide you with a dump of my BIOS? I have ordered myself a CH341A programming kit. Techsavydad helped me find the BIOS chip. So my next question is, can I use something like this to connect to the CH341A without desoldering the IC:

https://www.amazon.in/DHRUV-PRO-SOIC8-So…ZMJ6ZTT7EJRYNCX

Any help from anyone will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sid