ASUS ROG Strix Z370-F

Error 8772: Invalid usage

mei.png

@hazrdss - Sorry, use this command, I forgot I should have updated it while I made that file, then we wouldn’t see this issue

FWUpdLcl -f -allowsv MEHAPDisCUT.bin

If that says something odd, then >>
FWUpdLcl -f MEHAPDisCUT.bin -allowsv

Seemed to flash fine, rebooted. HWiNFO still reports a version number however

Edit: ME FW version shows also in the BIOS

mei.png

hwinfo.png

Then this does not work that way, change to HAP Bit not fully flashed in
I just checked, one byte also need flashed in at FD, which you cannot write to with FPT without doing pinmod to unlock FD.
So programmer it is Unless you want info on pinmod (live short to audio chip while powering on)?

Haha, was worth a shot I guess

Alright. So next steps for me?
------------------

I rather programmer, something about doing a live short doesn’t sit well with me

Yes, definitely worth trying over opening up system and using programmer, especially if you’re not used to doing all that.
Live short is OK, if you have fine enough tools, and steady hand, I’d still suggest taping off all other pins, they are very tiny and close together. When this goes bad, it kills the audio chip.
So yes, probably best to dump with programmer, edit, then flash it back.

See post #12 for software to use with programmer, and then see post #14 for guide on how to use (pay attention to what I made bold there!)

Appreciate all the help. Will try with the programmer and report back

One quick question. Can I use the programmer while the PC is running?

That way I can view the instructions while doing it?
---------------------------------------------------

I give up with this. Doesn’t want to detect the chip.

Edit: I’d say it’s the clip itself. It’s just too chunky. There are pins directly above the BIOS chip and it keeps making contact, so I’d say isn’t sitting on the Micron chip properly.
I’ll do an eBay search to see if there’s an alternative slim style.

No! You must have the system off. Some systems you need either main battery, or PSU connected though, or both, or none, only your testing will sort that out.
Yes, if’s very common users have detection issues, until you get more used to doing it. Sometimes you may need to reclip 10+ Times, or you may need to connect battery and or main, or both, and try 10+ more times, you’ll eventually figure out what is needed and get better at getting the clip on their faster
Best to have the two systems close together too, so the cable is not stretched, and cable does not move during operations.
I put clip opened wide, over the chip, the lower aall the way down to the PCB, then slide one side into place, and slowly release the other side until it’s in place grabbing the chip.

Also, try to make sure it’s never popping or ripping off the chip, those $3 clips wear the tiny teeth on the clip pins of super easy and then it can never grab a chip anymore

Don’t give up, you will get it How many times did you try to reclip the chip? Did you have battery or PSU Cable connected? If not, try for a while with the main battery connected, then if nothing still, connect PSU cable + Battery and try some more.
Generally, it’s a “clip” thing, you have to get that perfect.

You can get better clip, but it’s $15-18 (Pomona 5250), plus you have to buy Dupont cables or make your own
This clip bit thinner, and MUCH higher quality. But 100’s of people use the cheap clip every day, keep at it and you will get it.
If you have a file or dremmel, carefully remove some of the plastic of the clip if it’s in your way.

I looked at the image again, those pins on the SPI header should not be in your way, they are off to the side, not above or below where that could block you from getting the clip on there…
But, maybe there’s just not room and I cant see it from this angle in my head?

You can connect to that SPI header and do this, but it’s much more complicated.
Do you already have some “Dupont Cables”? Many people have these already if they mess with Raspberry Pi’s or have 3D printers

What’s the method with the SPI header if you don’t mind me asking? Can’t get a read with the programmer clip

Keep at it, do not stretch cable, sometimes it takes 10+ tries to get clip perfect.
Read is of much less concern, until after you get a actual connection and ID the chip etc. Are you sure you have it all connected properly? Did you try with 8/24 pin connected, and without?

SPI header, you need to make cables, and connect to each pin, then insert each cable into programmer at correct slot, here’s some info on that
Pinout for SPI Header

Asus-SPI-pinout.png

Pin#1 - NC
Pin#2 - WP#
Pin#3 - VCC
Pin#4 - GND
Pin#5 - CS#
Pin#6 - CLK
Pin#7 - MISO
Pin#8 - MOSI
Pin#9 - HOLD#
https://www.overclock.net/threads/spi-fl…ch341a.1643534/
https://www.elmorlabs.com/index.php/foru…header-pinouts/

I finally got around to making some cables, just trying to figure out where they go on the reader now

i do need help on custom bios cant install it due to bis lock on z370 e gaming if u can help me would be wonderful and i would appreciate you

@mhejairi Hi, Asus lock their BIOS for security and the best way to get around it is to use a hardware programmer. Software flashing will not be easy as there may be more than one type of BIOS lock present and you will have to work around each lock.