Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 (GA402) 2022 (GA402RJ-G14.R96700) bios recover

i bricked my bios using the smokeless umaf tool and trying to tighten ram timings. i purchased a ch341a programmer and made the mistake of not backing up my bios before flashing the stock bios on the chip. i tried injecting my serial and all in the bios and then flashing but now the hdd light just blinks when powering on and nothing else. i tried attaching the firmware i flashed to the chip and the default i added it to but it wouldn’t let me. also the chip is a winbond W74M25JWEIQ. my serial is N2NRKD019645059

@velizarw
ASUS G14 GA402RJ - Inject UUID, SN, MAC… into new binary - BIOS/UEFI Modding / BIOS Modding Requests - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)
Did you succeed in recovering the system, im in the same situation, thank you.

Unfortunately, not yet. I have no idea what to do, I have the laptop disassembled since then (7 months already) and use the older dell instead. If I can help you somehow, would gladly. If you find a fix please tell me. :slight_smile:

I tried what the person in my thread told me. Assembled some binary with “allegedly correct” UUID, MAC etc. and nothing. I may not be doing something correctly or there may be some other additional security thing on the motherboard (maybe the embedded controller looks for some specific info, too). I’ve went to the extend to start look into the hardware but haven’t found anything wrong, just the GPU’s VDD to GND resistance was less than 1Ohm, but I suspect it should be so, because it is very power hungry.

Don’t think so. Have a look into this video, he’s going measuring resitances of power rails in first minutes. And regarding ‘less than 1 Ohm’- most multimeters don’t go to 0.0 when you shorten the pins, Did you check what it shows for shortened pins?

Regarding the other laptop- it’s unclear what you did. Laptop should start with unchanged stock firmware properly flashed. If this is confirmed you can try changing things.

Saw the video, keep in mind that Precision 5510 is old laptop and has Quadro M1000M which is 28nm node and 40W TDP while the GPU in my laptop is RX6700S which is 7nm node and 80W TDP, so it needs a lot more power, voltages are lower and so is the resistance from GPU VCORE to GND. Look in youtube videos for the VCORE resistances to GND on newer Nvidia GPUs it’s from 1 to 3 ohms. Otherwise I am sure i have flashed the stock firmware at least three times on the original memory and even bought new memory chip - it didn’t work in either way. The last thing I did
was desoldering the Embedded Controller IC and I will order a new one for replacement, maybe the problem is there. If you have any ideas will be glad to hear. Can also upload the binary of the bios I made up and see if it is okay.

Still:

Less than 1 Ohm might a) still be a short depending on your eqiopment and b) is still signifiant lower than 1 to 3 Ohm

That’s up to you. But most meaningful would be a fresh dump of the firmware.

What do you mean by “fresh dump”? Also, I have never had dump of the bios from when the laptop was working. Currently only have the original from the ASUS website and the same bios but with the modifications I made - injected SN and UUID. With both the laptop doesn’t want to start. Only HDD led is blinking once on power button press and that’s it.

You read the chip with a programmer. This way one can see, if the programming went well, and if there are changes made to the firmware. ME should get initialized, then NVRAM should be populated = did some kind of basic first boot process begin.

That’s exactly what mine does. Same model and the hdd light will just blink every 5 seconds if plugged in to power. Does your pin 1 have continuity to the ground pin? Mine does and I’m wondering if it’s shorted somehow. I have a couple of bios files that were made that were supposed to be repaired but they still just cause the hdd light to blink

Also this laptop doesn’t use ME, it’s a ryzen cpu

1 Like

Could check that. What do you refer to as pin 1?

Correct, but a Ryzen stock firmware gets stuff written into padding (but less structured than ME) and NVRAM is anyway there.

But both of you tried several firmwares already, so what are the odds?

Good luck!

the cs pin, where the dot is and check if it is continuous with pin 4 which is three down from it. i also attached the repaired firmware you could try if yours doesnt have a short like i think mine does. GA402RJ_Repaired.rar - Google Drive