ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming & Z170-A / Z170-P BIOS + HPET Option

@Lost_N_BIOS thanks a ton for the mod, but at the moment i can’t seem to install it via usb flashback

I’ve taken the steps to format my USB drive to FAT32 and placed just the bios inside of it, i’m also using the usb that the manual says to use for USB flashback but i’m getting a blinking light followed by a solid light, any idea why it’s doing that?

@NPC_8606 - Smaller, cheaper, older USB is best, 128MB-2GB. Some are just not compatible. If you have a large or new one one, you can try partitioning it to 1GB, then format that as FAT32, do not rename the file I sent you, put on root of USB.
First, test with stock BIOS, renamed to exactly how I made the mod for you (M8H.CAP), once you see that working (LED Flashes for a minute or so getting faster and faster), then it stops or stays solid, then you know it’s working.
Once you can do that with stock BIOS on your USB, then use the mod BIOS

I tried partitioning the USB to 1GB and then further 128 mb but it doesn’t appear to work even with a stock bios so i’m going to assume that the USB doesn’t allow for it, which is a shame anyway thank you for your help :slight_smile:

It’s either not compatible with that USB, or you need to format it differently possibly? Are you formatting with windows right click, simple format, quick option? If not, try that, and it nothing changes, then yes, look for some other smaller and older USB Sticks.
It’s not a USB 3.0 stick is it? If it is, that could also be why, use 2.0 stick

You do have extensions enabled in explorer correct, so you can see .txt on a new text document? If yes, OK, if not, then when you rename stock BIOS it may be M8H.CAP.CAP which will fail.

You’re welcome, don’t worry, you will get it eventually. If not, we can do FPT dump, edit, reflash, if you want?

yeah it’s a USB 3.0 stick and i’ve formatted it via quick format the past few times, how would i go about the FPT dump? i don’t want to be a pain in your ass is all

Sorry i writed a pm first.

there is the dump:
https://mega.nz/#!oLxxWSZQ!jrHZHKGWEBfEk…B5Ea7DO_PsOEgUk

i checked and i can dump everything fine, like me, desc, spi without error.

@Matthew0220 - Before you can flash this in, you need to unlock BIOS lock as mentioned at post #60.
If you do this before you send me your BIOS dump, then it will always be unlocked after you flash the mod BIOS, until next time you flash in a stock BIOS.

Yes, dumping those things don’t always error, it’s the write back of certain regions you can’t do without making changes first as mentioned above and post #60
You can test and confirm before I give you mod BIOS, that way if you want, you can unlock first, then make a new dump, and it will be unlocked moving forward as mentioned above.
Take your current FPT backup, and try this >> FPTw.exe -bios backupfilename.bin

You should get error 368, unless you previously unlocked BIOS Lock.

If you do send me a new dump, after you unlock BIOS lock, please use another free file host, Mega rarely loads for me

@NPC_8606 - USB 3 probably the issue then. Don’t you have some old USB Sticks in a drawer, or storage/attic, neighbor, friend etc?
If you want to go FPT route, see post #60, only you will need ME System Tools V11 from this page in section “C” - Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools
And you will use the following info to unlock, instead of what is written on post #60

Rename your .efi file to >> Shell.efi
BIOS Lock Variable to change >> 0x8C6

So, at grub prompt you will type the following >> setup_var 0x8C6 0x0
Then reboot, make a FPT dump and send to me.

So i did the unlock thing, everything is fine. But one thing i see, i wanted to see if it’s unlocked or not, so i dumped again and got the txt from the bios again and the VarStore is not changed, i don’t know if it’s good or not. If my bios not let’s me unlock the lock i have an ch341A programmer in hand beacuse i needed before (i did some bios mode in the past).
So, how can i check if it’s unlocked or not?

There’s the file.

EDIT: So that’s allows me to overclock the cpu? (non k)

Thanks!

biosreg.rar (5.24 MB)

@Matthew0220 - This is not how you test if you unlocked it or not, checking what you mentioned I mean, I told you above how to test. Flash back the FTP dump you made, this is how you test it >> FPTw.exe -bios -f backupregionname.bin
Not sure what you mean, no, none of this has anything to do with OC Non-K

Before I waste time downloading the above, please confirm you can now write to the BIOS region with above command. And, be sure you sent me a dump of BIOS region AFTER you unlocked the BIOS lock
FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin << Dump BIOS region, - then unlock BIOS lock via grub, then immediately test next command
FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin << This test, if you unlocked it properly, if you did then it will flash and you will get green success message, if not you will get error 368 = which means you didn’t do the unlock properly. Once this is success, make new dump and send this to me
FPTw.exe -bios -d biosregunlocked.bin

I got unlocked:

And there’s the file

biosregunlocked.rar (5.24 MB)

@Lost_N_BIOS i decided to buy a cheap USB 2 flash drive from amazon and the bios mod worked perfectly first time via usb flashback, thanks a ton :slight_smile:

@Matthew0220 - The file above, is that dumped again after you unlocked it? If yes, OK, wanted to confirm to be sure before I do anything.

@NPC_8606 - Nice you found compatible USB stick finally Now, label it USB Flashback and keep it somewhere safe so you remember next time you need

Yes it is :blush:

@Lost_N_BIOS I double checked it, and it’s the unlocked one

@Matthew0220 - Sorry for delay, always buried - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…977858816734693
Flash via >> FPTw.exe -bios -f filename.bin

Thank you very much!
It’s working,

And thank you for the helping, have a nice day :slight_smile:

@Matthew0220 - you’re welcome, thanks for quick test report back

Hi, first of all, sorry for replying to such an old thread but maybe you can help me.

I have an Asus Z170-A motherboard and a Xeon 1220 V5 (Skylake 6700K equivalent) in another motherboard. Will any of the modified bioses posted here would enable me to install Xeon e3-1220 V5 in Asus Z170-A ?

Thanks in advance for any insightful comments!

@avatarr - haswell and before Xeons will work with Z170, but skylake xeons only work with c23x chipset
So answer is generally no, you need another board for that CPU and another CPU for this board.

However, I do see this - Use the E3 V5 series CPU method on the H110 B150 Z170 motherboard.
Do you have a currently working CPU for this board, so I can make you ME Disabled ME FW for you to flash in?
If so, then yes, I think we can do, but keep in mind until you get a flash programmer you can’t go back (ie can’t enable ME FW again) without programmer or pinmod (live short to unlock FD)

What is your current BIOS version, and what is your current ME FW version? You may need flash programmer or pinmod no matter what, if ME FW is newer than 11.6, I think maybe only 11.0 works based on page 5 comment by user where I made him BIOS (post #68)
Once we get ME FW to correct version, and disabled, then you can use BIOS from this thread if you wanted.

@dsanke - is PRO at this V5 and Z170 BIOS, and knows a lot about Asus, so I’m sure he can tell us specific versions of stuff you need other than what I’ve mentioned.

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS ,

thank you for your extensive reply.

I have a working CPU for that board. Will check the bios version and ME FW later on and get back to you.