Bios mod for Toshiba Satellite L650-1MM PSK1JE

Hello, I’m looking for a way to update the microcodes and if possible orom of my old laptop.
With mc extractor I have been able to find what microcodes are inside but I haven’t still able to open the bios and update them.
I attached a rar file with inside the bios extracted and the tool used from Toshiba to update it and a mcc screen to check what those microcodes are and what are updated or not.
Thank you for your help, in advance.

mcc.png

Bios.rar (4.07 MB)

Remove the first 0x12D6F of Insyde data and you’ll end up with what’s actually flashed on the system, a 4MB SPI image. You can then UEFITool to update the microcodes manually.

Thank you for the answer. Let’s see if I got it… I removed the first 0x12D6F with HxD FD, then I opened the file with the lastest uefitool but the microcodes are in the in Padding at header-offset 3800h and when I try to rebuild the file it fails and say: not implemented.

I thought to use HxD to past and replace the updated microcodes but I’m not sure if it could work since the size in different.

You need to use non New Engine (NE) builds of UEFITool in order to rebuild.

I’m using UEFITool 0.24.0, but it fails anyway: Function Called with invalid parameter.
reconstructRegion: reconstructed region size 16C000h (1490944) is smaller then original 180000h (1572864)

Do you think that if I use the HxD to copy and past the new microcodes over the old i’m going to do a mess?
Thank you.

By looking at that padding file, the first 0x14000 are used for microcodes and the rest 0x2000 for other things. If size was an issue, we could just remove any microcodes which are not used by your system. However, currently the last microcode ends at 0xF400 so there is a big enough chunk of padding (0x4C00) which can be used in case the replaced microcodes are larger than the ones currently there. I gathered all the latest microcodes and their final size is 0x11800 < 0x14000 so we’re good. I added some padding so that 0x11800 + 0x2800 = 0x14000 and replaced the entire microcode block at the padding file, before the last irrelevant 0x2000 data. The padding files before and after are now at the same size but with all the microcodes replaced/updated and the irrelevant data kept at the end. There was thus no issue with replacing it via UEFITool.

BB10240.rar (1.57 MB)

Thank you very much for your help, I was doing something wrong with uefitool.

I made a new bios, all menus are unlocked, and I updated the MC. If anyone wants to use it I will upload it. There are 2 files, fd file with first 0x12D6F bytes are restored, and an SPI flash bin file

I take no credit, all credits go to @plutomaniac , I took 1 minutes to update the MC using winhex thanks to @plutomaniac

mc.png

BB10240_unlocked_menu_MC_updated.rar (1.56 MB)

Hello,

I have just registered to ask if it would be possible to post BIOS files (.bin and .fd) having the latest microcodes (as the last file uploaded by @jen11 does) while not having unlocked menus (as the last file uploaded by @plutomaniac doesn’t)?

On a side note, after finding this topic I realized by looking up the microcode CPUIDs that the Toshiba Satellite L650 supports quad-core CPUs (whether the cooling system is sufficient for 45W is another matter… probability not or with some throttling)

Thank you