Bios Mod to support NVME Boot an MSI Z87-G43

Hello from Germany, this text is translated by Google.

I signed up for this board because I need help to boot an M.2 SSD via NVME that is not supported by my bios.

It is a MSi board Z87-G43 the original BIOS can be downloaded here download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7816v1B.zip

maybe Lost_N_BIOS can help me out, or sombody else and mod the BIOS for me. I would be very grateful and I will be very happy about your answer … greetings from MDS

@MDS - Please be sure which board you have
Z87-G43 Gaming - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z87-G43-GAMING
Z87-G43 - https://www.msi.com//Motherboard/support/Z87-G43

I know you posted BIOS download link, I just wanted you to be sure which model you have before flashing.
You can confirm by checking the board PCB for model sticker, and or with CPU-z in the motherboard tab it should show what BIOS you have flashed in now and you could tell that way

If you have "Gaming variant, I did mod already here - [Request ] MSI Z87-g43 Gaming Nvme support

And if you have the non Gaming version, here is 7816v1B BIOS as you asked, flash it via M-Flash and do not rename the file.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…518655542244287

After flash, enter BIOS, load optimized defaults, save and reboot back to BIOS to make all changes you want. To boot from NVME you need to follow all steps exactly at step #4 in the “This is what you should do” section of this guide
https://www.win-raid.com/t2375f50-Guide-NVMe-boot-without-modding-your-UEFI-BIOS-Clover-EFI-bootloader-method.html
Correct guide, see #4 “Installation of the OS onto the NVME” >> [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

:wink:

@MDS - It’s OK, no worries! I replied to all your PM’s before I posted this reply.
Don’t worry, BIOS will be fine, this is not risky edit, so it will be no problems to flash

@MDS - Sorry, I linked wrong guide for you above!!! Editing now!

@Lost_N_BIOS Wow, I have to thank you sincerely for your commitment, your willingness to help and your friendliness. what you’re doing there is really big cinema ;-)) (is a German saying) as soon as I have everything under control I will remember you and go shopping at Amazon. Please excuse the many PMs, but usually I don’t hang around on forums, which is why I lack the practice of adding what belongs where. First of all, many greetings from Germany, I’ll get in touch with you, should I still need help, but what I do not expect from the current status, I have enough information now. Take care, stay healthy and see you soon

@MDS - Wow, you’re welcome, and thank you for the very kind and supportive comments, I appreciate it!
No worries about PM’s, it’s OK. I just have that in my signature because I can’t help with BIOS in PM’s and prefer to help with that in a thread, so I know what we’re talking about and don’t get lost instantly like I do in a PM with no information about what’s being discussed.

Hopefully you get your system installed to your NVME now, if not let me know and I’ll help!
Here’s one last bit of advice, be sure you have your install USB initilized as GPT or use windows dvd install tool, it will do it correctly. And same for NVME, initilize as GPT, or make RAW and point to RAW disk during install
Here’s how to make it RAW - You can use diskpart in windows from OS (Direct from any CMD Prompt), or from installer ISO (press Shift + F10 on the first setup screen where you pick language)
Or from repair/troubleshoot options in the installer/setup. Remove all other drives, so you have only USB and target win10 drive. Then from CMD prompt do the following

1. Diskpart
2. List Disk << Here, identify what your target disk is by size/name etc, and make note of it’s #, you will use it’s # next - If in windows, these #'s will match what you see the drives shown as in Disk Management - Be sure you do not select your USB or main OS drive if in OS
3. select disk # << Here, instead of #, put target disk #, example >> select disk 0
4. clean
5. Exit

Reboot and run the installer again, then point it at the raw/blank drive, do not load any drivers or create any partitions etc, just select drive and click next

Thank you again for your great instructions, which are always easy to understand and structured. I have just installed windows on the nvme, but this only worked in Uefi mode, but after the installation you can switch back to legasy & Uefi and so you have all the options Windows boots cleanly and quickly. After a first speed test with samsung Magican (Srcquentiel MB / s read: 3253 and write 2406 - random (IOPS) read 146240 and write 142648)

@MDS - You’re welcome, thank you too!

Yes, you can only use NVME on GPT in UEFI mode, or you can disable secure boot if you enable CSM and set Storage to UEFI (or OS Type to UEFI/Win8-10 etc)
Depending on what setting your exactly talking about, you may be able to set Legacy as long as storage is set to UEFI mode

Sounds like good speeds

Hi, sorry If I sound stupid, how did you connect NVMe drive to this motherboard? PCIex to NVMe adapter?
I have same motherboard, and two pciex to nvme adapters from Aliexpress. Didn’t update the bios yet. Currently none of adapters are seen by motherboard/windows 10. THey get warm though when connected.

@Olestas :
The M.2>PCIe adapter will never been detected by the BIOS and the OS. What should be detected are the NVMe SSD and the NVMe Controller, which is within the SSD.

Oh, thanks. So they Nvme SSD "should" be detected after bios update to modified bios version?

Hello! Please reupload bios. tinyupload.com dont answer…

@Lost_N_BIOS is there any chance you could reupload the file for download somewhere. I would also like to use the file, much appreciated

I have the file downloaded long time ago, but cannot post the link yet due to forum limitations :}

Here is the link to non-gaming version

MSI Z87-G43 bios 1B0 NON-Gaming-NVME-Mod (mediafire.com)

Lost_N_BIOS is been away since the beginning of the year, do the mod yourself, address it to a specific user in this thread still active that can share it.

Easiest thing to do, use MMtool method here: [HowTo] Get full NVMe support for all Systems with an AMI UEFI BIOS

Hi there, my friend!

Could not use the link for z87-g43 (regular, not gaming) since it seems like out of date.
Could you be so kind to help with the file or link where to find.

By the way, what is the proper way to flash bios since there are plenty of them?
Big thanks in advance!

Brother, maybe you have the BIOS file left somewhere?)

Theres no “Brothers” here, damm translators…
Link to file is 3 posts above from yours.
Use M-Flash, NOT OS environment.

1 Like