Bios Modding questions

Hi,

i’m new to bios modding!

i have some questions:
i have a laptop, Asus x53 Series → x53sj
specs here: http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-x53sj-…0-gb-hdd/specs/
my upgrades: new hdd, + 4GB of ram 1333
i m using latest bios update from asus, a k53sj.315 file
i can use it as is or i can extract it but the file inside this archive is not readable by bios tools ( i can see a setup string with hex editor)
ubu info are:
Ami Aptio 4 - so i only use bios tools v4x and i repleced mmtool in ubu with 4.x version
ubu main screen screenshots attached

1. Currenly using legacy boot mode, but my bios “supports” efi and i would like to swith to efi
    the problem is that windows installer does not boot and linux says policy error.
    Is it possible to update or unlock or fix efi?
    do i need the gop driver?
  2. would like to update my bios and as you can see i lack some stuff
    can i use the files listed here for sandybridge?
    Actual PCI ROM modules (not AHCI/RAID related)
    Intel EFI “RaidDriver” and “GopDriver” BIOS Modules
  3. ubu seems not able to update my bios, everytime a select an option the version number does not change
  4. is it possible to update ucode for sandybridge ( see #3 )
    any gain with new ucode?
  5. i would like to unlock msr, but there s no info for ami bioses or laptop?
    any help?
  6. i would like to buy an ssd
    can i follow this guide?
    [Guide] How to get full NVMe support for Intel Chipset systems from 6-Series up
  7. what if my bios is corrupted? any software way to recover the bios? a second bios partition or recovery to flash it?
  8. i opened my bios with ami bcp.
    the weird thing is that ALL the options have “show” = yes but i cannot see all these options!!
    also, there s an access tab, everything is default.
    should i set to user to access all the options?
    i would like to enable all the infos in main, cpu and gpu settings etc…
  9. my main oses are linux and os x, so i really don t need my nvidia card.
    as far i as i know, my screen is attached to the intel hd, same for hdmi.
    when i tried to disable the nvidia from a DSDT edit i had some issues.
    can i disable it in bios with no issues?
  10. is there any way to test a modded bios before flash or to verify it s integrity or anything else that could avoid a break
  11. where can i find the max supported ram size?
    is it possible to extend it, if any?
  12. my chipset is HM65
    is it possible to add support for a new cpu? ivy or next?

Thanks

EDIT by Fernando: Text reformatted and unneeded blank lines removed (to save space)

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

There should be no any sandybridge mobile support ivybridge mobile but your computer two can update module.Vbios2111 Update to 2171.cpu microcode update to 29.hm65 so no raid ROM update. If is hm67 chip group. There should be an update.There is no support for EFI in GOP mode. The system should be win8 and above. The network card module should be updated, but I am not very understanding of this piece. It should be the integration of wireless and Ethernet cards together.

i have windows 10, so is gop needed?
the main problem is that i cannot boot windows or linux in uefi mode

so, i made my first custom bios, unlocked pretty much everything, even the msr, it was an option named cfg lock (asus) and now there are sooo many option and i don t even know what they do Lol

anyway my bios was write-protected (like any laptop, this sucks) and i have to say thank you to asus. my bios has an option named easy flash.
i only had to hex edit the build date and flash the rom, this tool does not check md5 or signature or anything that could prevent you from flashing a custom rom

the last things are:
update modules
unlock chipset tab

the chipset tab is set to USER but i cannot see it
i read i have to unlock it in a different way, but it seems a bit risky, so any help or advice is greatly appreciated

can someone please help me to update modules?
which module can i update? and how in a safe way? UBU seems not working for me

thanks

@kyl :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

The GopDriver is an EFI BIOS module and only required, if the user wants to boot in "clean" UEFI mode (CSM=Disabled). This has nothing to do with the OS, but just with the BIOS settings regarding the "Compatibility Support Module" (CSM).

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

i actually cannot boot uefi devices because of policy error
i want the full or clean efi mode because i want to switch to uefi

is gop the solution for this?

edit:
can i safely update lan orom and pxe rom for my laptop with UBU?

about cpu ucode
in my screenshot the version is 14, and the last version is 29 (sandybridge)
when i select update ucode, 0 for ivybridge and 29 for sandy.
the final version deletes all my ucodes and i only see 29.
is this normal?
my original bios has more ucodes?

thanks

You can install any modern Windows OS in UEFI mode without any GopDriver within the BIOS.
As I already have written, a working GopDriver is only required, if you want to completely disable CSM within the BOOT section of the BIOS.

Probably yes, but why do you want to update such modules, which are only used, if you want to start your computer via a LAN connection (using the Wake-On-LAN option)?

Probably yes.

sorry i m noob, but as i said i cannot boot windows or linux in eufi mode right now, so i asked if gop could help
is there a solution to fix policy write error with uefi?
can the new ucode break something?

Maybe yes, but enabling CSM will be easier and faster.

Not a new, but a wrong/not matching CPU microcode may have a negative impact on your system.
By the way: Any BIOS modding is risky.

i have no csm option in my bios, i also did a search in amibcp
only a csm16 module ??

with wrong/not matching you mean ivybridge in sandy, so sandy to sandy should be 100% safe

1. The BIOS has no EFI modules, maybe it’s just for booting into an EFI shell or similar only. No way you can boot in pure UEFI with such a system.
    3. UBU does not support mobile systems. Some universal things do work though.
    4. Yes, use UBU. Only SNB, latest 29.
    6. No NVME for that laptop, get a SATA III SSD.
    7. Search for AMI BIOS Recovery. No idea if it will work on that ASUS laptop. There is always a risk.
    8. It’s never that easy. You should ask at BIOS-mods for such a thing and hope to not end up with a brick.
    11. Ask ASUS, their site is broken for that model.
    12. No, only SNB.

You can update RST (oROM), LAN and Microcode with UBU. The latest VBIOS is 2171 but you need to use the Mobile VBIOS and adjust settings with Intel BMP tool etc as seen from SoniX’s guide. It’s a tedious job and you need to be careful.

same question
is there a way to install these missing efi modules
vbios update is too hard for me at this time, also my bios is too different
i would like to know how to unlock the chipset tab.
i have no setup block in efitool

You can try to insert missing EFI modules by using the guide, which you can find within the start post of >this< thread, but there is no guarantee, that they will work with your system.

i m following this

Intel EFI “RaidDriver” and “GopDriver” BIOS Modules

i installed the gop driver for sandy intel hd 3000
can you explain better the notes?
my main card is intel hd but i also have nvidia gt with optimus
is this a problem?
you speak about discrete card and extra graphics card

i m having some troubles with the sata driver
which version should i use? (section A)

also, ubu is not able to update my orom sata driver
driver number 3 - 12.9
see screenshot

thanks

Screenshot (4).png

seems i don t have enough space on my bios to insert efi rste driver
i can t even update the rst orom because my orom is 118kb while the new orom is 119kb

how can i solve this?

The original ASUS mainboard BIOS v315 for your notebook contains 2 identical Intel RST RAID ROM modules v10.5.0.744 (listed with the Link ID "8086,2822" and "8086,282a"). So you can remove one of them (it doesn’t matter which one) from the BIOS to save space within the BIOS.
After having done that and saved the altered BIOS, there should be no problem to replace the left Intel RAID ROM module to the desired version.

thanks
i removed one of them and i used ubu to update to 12.9 (it should be the last compatible with 6-series)
i can add the gop driver for sandy 45kb
but i cannot add the sata efi driver 190kb or the comp efi 75kb because of file size exceeds the volume size in MMTOOL 4.5

no way
the efi sata is too big
i have to delete all my orom sata to insert the efi one
so,
a good idea could be: can i delete the realtek lan orom? is it wake on lan ONLY?
or
will my oses work with the efi sata in both legacy and efi? Do i need orom and efi?

Yes, you can delete all LAN Option ROMs without risking severe problems (unless you want to use the Wake-on-LAN feature).

No.

I added efi gop and efi satadriver 12.9 but i cannot boot efi linux
cannot write policy error

i m still running orom sata 10.5, could this be the problem?
shoul i see any new bios option with these new drivers?

is there any solution?