Can a modded BIOS solve the Invalid SN of Lenovo Legion Y740

@ndthtnt - No worries There may not be anything on the other side of the board, so up to you to check. Thanks for the images, maybe all I need, or all we’ll find is in these images.
MTM won’t get auto-populated. Where did you get this then?? >> MP1NN7V1 << I assume it was on some sticker and thus the correct one to use. * Ohh, I see, on your “sellers” included sticker

The dump above, I now need you to dump vars also, so we can get you past FPT step #2
Sorry, I don’t know anything about Vantage or G-Sync etc. Sounds like you may have incorrect graphics card in there for the current in BIOS vBIOS.
Or, there is no additional graphics card and only the onboard graphics?

All those stickers are mainly part #'s

The only one I see that may be relevant here is >> 5427370300015
Which is exact size and looks similar format as the 5421435100032 # I found already in the BIOS system info area.
So maybe they put in wrong serial? If that is serial sticker? We’d need someone to confirm, check their serial vs this same sticker

@dglt @Hirosake - Do either of you have images of your system inside? If yes, can you see if your serial matches what you see on sticker that looks like this one, thanks

y740.jpg

Thanks for your fast reply.

I proceeded the step #2 in FPT right after the #1 and it show the green "Successful". Do I need to dump the vars or can we pass it?

For this @dglt mentioned the lack of G-sync option as he saw the SMBios file. I made some searches and people stated that only the 1660Ti variant lacked of G-sync. All RTX variants should include it. I try the option of Discrete graphic only in BIOS but no luck. Therefore I agree with him that maybe some variables lacked caused this.

Yah I’ll try this after work. Hopefully I can find something there.

The more I dig in this, the more I suspected my machine. Seem purchasing a pre-owned machine could save some bucks for additional RAM and SSD, but it may cause some more headaches :frowning:

@ndthtnt - That is unexpected, to pass #2 now when you had to disable some stuff to pass it before. Are you sure BIOS version was downgraded?
If yes, then maybe they already had those things disabled in older BIOS but enabled in new BIOS.

On GSync, he’ll have to explain that to me. Are you SURE you have RTX card? Show image of GPU-z with the RTX card selected at bottom drop out menu.

I was thinking, since this may be a replacement board, your current in BIOS serial I mentioned above, may be correct one, and the one I showed image above on the sticker may be from the original system and just that part the sticker on is original but the board was replaced.
None of that should matter to anything other than you visually seeing a serial # in some apps, and or windows activation via in-BIOS key (which is missing, thus this does not matter)

Generally speaking, this stuff such as Serial, UUID etc are only used to activate windows, or for warranty purposes etc.
They do not affect system functionality, so none of this once fixed will help any functions if that is what you’re goal here is, other than maybe some Lenovo specific program may not work correctly until we fix this.

* This does not seem/look like “Pre-owned” or “Used” this would be “Refurbished” / “Repaired/Rebuilt” if I was to sell such a system

Thank you for your fast response. Yah I made a backflash to 1.05 and it’s successful. The step #2 on FPT was also successful. I attached some images here, including the BIOS version, FPT log and Vars.

for G-sync I’m sure I’m on RTX (2060). I attached the GPU-Z image

At first I just hope to fix the info so that I could use all Vantage and Magic Y Key features. However after I heard the mention of G-sync from @dglt I thought I faced a severe problem. I looked up my panel (BOE083B) and many other users also confirmed the presence of G-sync.
The info is not for warranty or any kind of genuine contacting as I purchased it from a shop and they only offered one month warranty at shop. Now I even dont think I got enough genuine information on the device :frowning:

I have a question. Does each parameter need to match each of the others?

vars-ndthtnt-1.05.zip (81.5 KB)

@Lost_N_BIOS his MTM number is 81UH002YRM

here is a shot of my system info next to his, IIRC the system SKU does auto populate based off the other variables but only does so if you fix the variables and then update bios again the normal way as its detected by the installer.

in regards to G-Sync, i knew it wouldnt be working because i’ve seen this mess before where lenovo replaced mobo’s and forget to properly program the descriptor variables correctly (they do this 100% of the time, it causes problems 100% of the time)

after fixing the variables g-sync may just start working, it’s done by some mechanism which checks for certain details and if they meet the required spec then g-sync is allowed. it’s a terrible and shitty way of doing it but thats how it is on windows, your ultimately in control of nothing. @ndthtnt your model Legion Y740-15IRHg Laptop (ideapad) - Type 81UH absolutely does support g-sync , only the models marked with “g” have it and yours does. after you get the descriptors fixed you might need to DDU the display drivers and install the ones from your product support page https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mob…zly06afrq90.exe and update them after, lenovo includes the needed display profiles in there because if im not mistaken your display does not come with variable ranges programmed on the edid and instead uses direct drivers in order to enable those features.

sys-info-compare.png

@dglt - OK, thanks, I will look all that over tonight when I have more time. How do you know his MTM number?
While I looked around to find this, none match what you mention, but I found ALL of the below, how do you know which applies to his system (other than what I surmised near the end)?
On Gsync, if his screen has been replaced with cheaper version, Gsync will never work…

For 15" 15IRHg
81UH008JPH
Or
81UHCTO1WW
or
81UH0005RK (Russian)

81UF0000US - Iron Grey US
81UH0000US - Iron Grey US
81UH00C1US - Iron Grey US
81UH0001US - Iron Grey US
https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/uottawa/acc…5/p/88GMY701059
Which do you have ^^ based on the specs there? Looks like the screen type, graphics card type, and stock SSD/NVME is the major differences. I assume you probably can’t tell what stock HDD/SSS/NVME came with it, but you should be able to find LCD spec info using some kind of app, maybe HWINFO65 or AIDA64?

Two of those have NO GSYNC. So it looks like another key part of that is what LCD you have, which is expensive and probably something they replaced when rebuilding this system, and surely used a cheaper screen.

Well, I guess only one has RTX 2060 >> 81UH0000US, and only three are 15IRHg, with the last two on right side coming with 2070 GFX cards.
But, that still may not be correct MTM for you, since latter part of this # is region based. Not sure where you are, or where this system originated either.
I assume this wont matter much, we can probably just use that one above, don’t you think?

NV156FHM-N4J is the only G-Sync panel they use for that model, if thats the one thats in there it should be good to go. (unless its some garbage aftermarket equivalent)

if the serial number provided is correct then so should that info be, still under warranty as well.

Yes, but this is a repaired, rebuilt system, sold by third party reseller and probably cobbled together several new parts.
It may be new screen and new board, usually screen needs replaced long before motherboard would, in many laptop repair/purchase/resell type cases anyway.
That’s all I mean, maybe why screen may not be correct type anymore. But yes, we shall know more when we see what happens once some system info is fixed

Internal Serial number (Not “Lenovo SN”) provided on fake sticker by reseller does not match the one I found inside, that’s why I re-tagged you guys to ask you to check your inner sticker to confirm
And then I realized that part w/ sticker may not be original, or may be original with other board which we know may or may not be original also. It does not match the one given on the reseller sticker

Yes, if the “Lenovo SN” serial is correct, or at least valid for this model, that MTM shown in your image it should work and hopefully fix all this, thanks!

@ndthtnt - Program this back in, then enter BIOS and load optimal default, save/reboot back to BIOS and then show me image of BIOS Main page
Then, hit windows and do the driver stuff dglt mentioned and see if you can get GSync working.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…735657319272619

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS , thank you for your patience.
I followed the process, however the main page of BIOS still said Invalid. Please find the images
The FPT showed no sign of failure when I flashed it back.

I hoped I made mistake in the flashing process therefore I did it twice (of course in the second time I need to change the secure boot + TPP to off then running the VarsM again after loading default optimal), however the variables in BIOS state were the same as the first time

@ndthtnt - No worries, that’s why I asked for images, thanks.
Please dump this via FPT and send to me, we’ll check to see if the changes were actually flashed in or not (if yes, then I will also need to change this info in NVRAM too probably)
But, I bet it wasn’t flashed in there

FPTw.exe -a 0x600000 -l 0x115000 -d pad1.bin

* Edit - @ndthtnt - VarsM?? There was/is no varsM for BIOS 1.05!!
So that is NOT good you did this!! Please reflash other previous BIOS you were using, using stock method (upgrade) then flash varsM we made for that.
Then downgrade back to 1.05 again, and flash ONLY the BIOS region I sent you, NO VARS for this BIOS version was ever made, and you should not flash anything from newer BIOS version into system for this older BIOS version
Luckily you did not brick it!

@Lost_N_BIOS

Thank you for your quick reply. Please find it in the attachment.

pad1.zip (74.5 KB)

@ndthtnt - Please see my edit above, you’re very lucky you didn’t brick the system!

It’s the VarsM of 1.08. Did I make any mistake?

Edit: I see your edit. Let me follow it. Seem I’m really lucky

Yes, very lucky it didn’t brick! I’d say flash back in original 1.05 vars, or varsm we made for that, but we did not do any of that here because it was not needed.
Hopefully all will be OK and none of that will prevent fixing things properly now.

From your pad dump above, the modified info was not flashed in during FPT flash, so once you’re ready again we’ll do it manually.

Here’s the fix file, flash it back via >> FPTw.exe -a 0x600000 -l 0x115000 -f pad1SysInfo.bin
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…293182504957741

@Lost_N_BIOS
I’ve just upgraded to 1.08, flashed VarsM, returned to 1.05 via stock method.

So the next steps now are:
1. FPT the BIOSreg105FixM1.bin
2. FPT the pad1SysInfo.bin
3. Reboot and load optimal default

Is this process correct?

@ndthtnt - Since no other changes were made in BIOSreg105FixM1, you can skip #1 and just do #2-3 (ie flash post #54 as outlined, then do BIOS optimized, reboot and check everything)
After you do all this, if still no change, dump pad1 again using this command and send to me to check >> FPTw.exe -a 0x600000 -l 0x115000 -d pad1check.bin

@Lost_N_BIOS

Yah there’s still no change. Please find the pad1check in the attachment

pad1check.zip (74.5 KB)

@ndthtnt - Yes, still not there
Here, flash this using command below - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…091799521833355
FPTw.exe -a 0x600000 -l 0x115000 -rewrite -f pad1checkfix.bin

Then reboot, load optimized, save, reboot and check and then if still same do command below
FPTw.exe -a 0x600000 -l 0x115000 -d pad1postfixcheck.bin

If this does not go in, you may need flash programmer to fix this!

Thank you for your quick response.
I’ll flash it right after I leave the office.
I wish to but the dancing fan noise made some partners complain :smiley:

BTW, could you tell me your region time? I’m afraid of bothering you at your sleeping/lunch time

@ndthtnt - No worries here, whenever you get to it. I’ll either be here, or not, no rush