cant open/edit/extract my bios *.150 file (renamed to .ROM)

hi, really nice work fernando! RESPECT and THX!

MAiNBOARD: MS-7582 (MSI BIG BANG FUZION)
CHiPSET: P55
BiOS: A7582IMS.150 (renamed to *.ROM)
BiOSSiZE: 4MB

i have taken few MMTool versions but at all versions i have the same error (1000FFh)
i hope someone can help me, THXALOT!

@ mnmlix:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Unfortunately I couldn’t open it either.

Regards
Fernando

ohhh damn … and you dont have any idea to open an MSI BIOS? … have searched the www the last 6 hours, and was found some pages but not really helpful … with MMTool2 i can open them, i found this idea on a other forum BUT
MMTool.2.22.1 is only a LITE version and there you cant change any ID or something! … maybe this helps you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: … THX

btw maybe thats easier with the second controller on my MOBO thats a JMB322
my new raid/sas card is ROCKETRAID 2740 with MARVEL 9485 chipset, but with them it is harder i think …

… or you have any other idea to make a windows 7 system at RAID0 with 2 SSD´s with TRIM support?

@ mnmlix:

As soon as I have found a solution for your problem, I will let you know it.

ahhhh nice!!! … thank you very much! … best greetz from darkgermany lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I just wanted to say, you do not have to rename, from drop down list pick all files. There is something about this BIOS file, tried everything an get error, all BIOS for this board.

I had no problem open new X79 BIOS for MSI, so it has to do with your BIOS file, that it not open.

Hope Fern can help and you can open.

oh really, thats not soooo good news for me :frowning: … but maybe someone can help me to fix this problem soon!

@ mnmlix:
This is what I found out until now:

1. The BIOS of your mainboard is an AMI non-UEFI one. That means, that the “normal” (=non-UEFI) AMI MMTool usually should be able to open and to modify it. This will only work after having renamed the BIOS to “*.ROM”.
  2. After having opened the BIOS file with a hex editor I suspect, that the failure while trying to open it with the MMTool may be caused by some bytes, which have been added by MSI to prevent any modification. Although I have tried to find these bytes, I didn’t yet succeed. My idea is to remove the related bytes, then to open and to modify the leftover with the AMI MMTool and - as last step - to readd the previously removed bytes, but I neither know, if I am right, nor if it would work, if I should be right.

oh really? … damn msi heh …
thanks for your time fernando, maybe you have a bit time to search them :wink:
THANKS 4 ALL!

Hey Fern, My bad, didn’t know non uefi would need the rom.

I need to do a X58, my 4.50 mm won’t open it, same 8000001h error, tried .rom , .cap, .fd, do I need a older mm, when you get a chance, TY.

hey ,p
nope my error was (1007FFh) …8)

AFAIK no X58 board has an UEFI BIOS.
So I think, that you have to use the old (non-UEFI) AMI MMTool v3.26.

AFAIK no X58 board has an UEFI BIOS.
So I think, that you have to use the old (non-UEFI) AMI MMTool v3.26.

Thanks Fern, will get it.

btw i have found a forum 1 day ago, there was a user with the same error and after some tests, he found a way with AMIBCP76.exe (all bios parts/ids was shown there in bios) … you can follow me fern? ;)))

or maybe this dos tool was amf895.exe … cant rememebr right now …

It must be the version MM tool I have, that is the error I got when trying to open your BIOS, or actually, I tried to open all the older ones to see if it was just the new one, but all had the same error for me.

80000001h

Yes, I can follow you. I tried to run the tool AMIBCP76, but it is not compatible with 64bit Operating Systems.
Anyway I just found a very interesting discussion about the problem to open your MSI BIOS file >here<.

yeah have found nice link site with many bios tools … have them too but thats onyl 16bit version … btw i have msged the taiwan msi support, maybe i a lucky bastardo :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

… yepp i know, check the mydigitallife forum too (but dont have any hexedit skillz … right now)

bios is a MSI OEMSLIC WINDOWS bios … but i think thats not really helps! …

OK I FOUND A WAY TO OPEN THE .ROM BIOS … there are many good .CN web pages btw haha lol … ok fernando now you can shot your part! common and wake UP! … j/k!

will try to explain this shit! :slight_smile:

>> DOWNLOADED TOOLS:
>> AFUWIN v4.40
>> AFUWIN v4.42

>> FIRST TRY:
>> AFUWIN v4.40 >> RUNNING WITHOUT PROBLEMS! >> LOAD A7582ims.rom = FAIL!

>> SECOND TRY:
>> AFUWIN v4.42 >> RUNNING WAS FAIL WITH MSG “ERROR LOADING DRIVERS” grr …

>> LAST BUT NOT LEAST:
>> COPIED ALL 4 FILES FROM AFUWIN v4.42 INTO THE AFUWIN v4.40 DIRECTORY!!
>> NOW YOU CAN LOAD (with copied AFUWIN.exe) THE A7582ims.rom WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS! … or WHAT?! 8]

>> LOADED BIOS:

>> FLASHED BIOS:

>> SAVED BIOS:

>> SAVED BIOS.ROM is now READY to OPEN with MMTool … boooooom! :wink:

>> LATEST UPDATE:
>> btw you can open the .150 bios too but after loading the bios as *.150 or *.ROM … the bios version is 2MB smaller!
→ i replaced the PCI Option ROM ID: 20 LOC: 8086:2822 with 8086-2822_v11601702_mod_for_P55.bin = SUCESS! … and SAVED AS .ROM!
→ now i tested my new (2MB smaller) bios with MSIHQ USB Bootable Tool and BIOS Helper = SUCESS! and 100% DONE WITHOUT ANY ERROS WITH MY NEW BIOS on a FAT32 USB STICK! (not more right now :P)
== but lol sorry, i mean that was to simple, i think there are not all features enabled in the new BIOS or something?! … dont know, dont have any skillz in this section!

That is very good news!

What shall I do? Obviously you succeeded with your project already.

Yes, that is exactly the way, which is recommended >here< by the AMI Support:

Congratulations!
Please explain how you managed that. The tool AFUWIN is just a BIOS flashing/updating tool and not a BIOS modding tool.
How were you able to open and modify the BIOS with the AMI MMTool v3.26?

I am not as pessimistic as you. I suspect, that MSI has just blown up the BIOS size from 2 to 4 MB without putting relevant BIOS data into the added BIOS section.