CPU Microcode BIOS modding questions/problems

I’ll have to read back, maybe we need to update ME FW but not try to unlock it, just do the MSR 194 unlock

ok man you know better ,and by the adapter the original it was 90w 19v 3.95a and i have another that has 120w 19v 6a if requeres much power, i tried with 12ow adapter but the same results all core at maxim not more than 2.7ghz thank you

I think for now, aside from the microcodes you wanted to try, we leave ME FW as it is, and do the MSR 194 unlock and BIOS unlock. I don’t think power adapter has anything to do with this
Here is three BIOS, all with MSR 194 unlocked, one with original microcodes you sent, and then one each w/ 206A7 14 and 29

194-unlocked.png

206A7-ucode14-29.png

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…656326903698842

You mentioned EC maybe controlling turbo before I remember, I just noticed setting in the BIOS that can be changed to disable that. You know about using grub and setup_var correct? If yes, see below for values to change (Or I can make visible for you in BIOS?)
EC Turbo Control Mode, Variable: 0x208[1] {05 09 08 02 01 9F 04 A0 04}
Option: Disabled, Value: 0x0 {09 09 4D 00 00 00 01 00 00}
Option: Enabled, Value: 0x1 {09 09 4E 00 01 00 00 00 00}

To disable
Setup_var 0x208[1] 0x0

To enable
Setup_var 0x208[1] 0x1

If you are not familiar with Grub and Setup_var, here is a guide I wrote for other use, but you should be able to learn how to use from reading the guide
See this page if your BIOS does not offer boot to EFI Shell on exit page - [Guide+Video] How to install windows on NVME SSD 960 EVO without clover on a board without NVMe support. (2)
Also, if that is the case, in each location make several copies of the file with different names, so at least one might be correct working name bootx64.efi, shellx64.efi, shell.efi

the ec turbo can be disabled from bios to disabled ,ok the results are the same with all bios not more than 2.7 ghz all cores, but when I test the cpu at maxim with intel xtreme utility the cpu goes to 2.7ghz and reach maxim at 41w not more I think the laptop is blocked somewere I will send you a fotos

2018-11-29-1774.jpg

2018-11-29-1776.jpg

Hello

With Skylake-X and Asus rampage VI Extreme, since the 4D microcode, the TJMax has gone up to 110° and the temperature of the cores is increased
Even passing TJMax at 105° (by default), cores temperatures are always increased (~ + 5°)

Does anyone have an idea of why ?

Thanks

Good you can see EC turbo! I only saw that in BIOS again and remembered you mentioned before, thought maybe disabled or enabled if currently disabled might help, since you thought maybe EC controlled CPU Turbo (Maybe that EC Turbo is something else)

So you think 40-41W limit set, that could be due to temps reach right then, or TDP limit set. Thanks for new images and info, I think we discussed this as possibility before.
I will enable those settings for you to see in BIOS, you currently cannot see them correct (TDP/TDC limits, temp limits, adjustments to all critical trip points etc)

yes I see these settings I will send you a fotos to see if these are the tdp settings but did you see in ona foto that I sendit to you that the programmable tdp tdp is supported but disabled?

2018-11-30-1778.jpg

2018-11-30-1779.jpg

2018-11-30-1780.jpg

2018-11-30-1781.jpg

Thanks for the images. In the first one, Thermal Config, there is some settings you do not see, one of them is CPU Temp read enable and CPU Energy read enable, maybe disable those could possibly help, especially the energy one?

Also, did you ever test all the available ICC profiles you can choose (Default is 4, from 0-7).

And did you test disable Advanced CPU Control >> Enable/Disable Energy Efficient P-State Feature - And disable Turbo PWR Limit MSR Lock (Default enabled), same page/section? Sorry, I thought I remembered TDC/TDP settings, but there is only these and the ones you have visible in thermal section
I think disable these two, or at least Turbo PWR Limit MSR Lock might work! @juanete Editing BIOS now, but had to stop so I don’t end up double enabling something you already have enabled (might break BIOS) << DO you have these options, should be on same page as EC Turbo enable/disable?
@ Advanced >> Advanced CPU Control

For the SiSandra image info, I found that setting but there is only two options >> Configure the power saving modes associated with the processor.
[Dynamic Switch] The processor’s power consumption and automatic clock speed switching functions are enabled.
[Always Low] The processor will always run at a lower level of power consumption and a low speed.

Dynamic CPU Frequency Mode, Variable: 0x215[1]
Option: Dynamic Switch, Value: 0x0 {09 09 39 00 00 00 01 00 00} << Default
Option: Always Low, Value: 0x1 {09 09 3A 00 01 00 00 00 00}

Did you leave EIST and C3 enabled for a test, then one more test with one each disabled and one enabled? One of those has to be enabled for Turbo to work, but I forget which

Give me some time, I will make BIOS for you with all these settings now mentioned visible.

* Edit 2
While we’re checking to confirm, since I can’t remember what we’ve enabled in the past and what’s currently enabled in BIOS you are using now, please confirm all these settings, which you can see and which you cannot. I will make all these visible
Advanced >> Advanced CPU Control
Energy Efficient P-State Feature
Turbo PWR Limit MSR Lock

Power Management >>
Dynamic CPU Frequency Mode

These I already can see from your image above you cannot currently see
Advanced >> Thermal Config >>
CPU Temp read
CPU Energy read enable

I don’t see icc profile 0.7 but I see all that you said all the function and I test some of them and not working the same result and when I test the energy efficient state with option disbled the laptop is lock on windows boot and I had to force to shut down the computer enter in bios again and enable again to boot normaly in windows,what I tried is I set long duration pwr limit to 99 ,long duration time windows to 56 and short duration limit to 99 and when pri plane current limit I set to lower the core frequency its go down but when I set o high value the processor wont work more than 2.7ghz and I think here is the problem Dynamic CPU Frequency Mode, Variable: 0x215[1]
Option: Dynamic Switch, Value: 0x0 {09 09 39 00 00 00 01 00 00} << Default
Option: Always Low, Value: 0x1 {09 09 3A 00 01 00 00 00 00} and in these number where is default yu could modify something?

ICC profiles should have optional choices 1 through 7 (1-7), correct? Looks like default is 4
These options you do not have visible, but rest I mentioned you already see? These are not visible in your image above, and I thought one could really help (Energy Read) CPU Temp read + CPU Energy read (Missing from your thermal config page)
I think disable CPU Energy read maybe could help, if that also disabled the sensor from using TDP/energy draw value, but I’m not sure, it may just stop it from showing values if monitoring software

And yes! That one you mentioned last >> Dynamic CPU Frequency Mode << This one is what SiSandra was giving you warning about. But no, nothing I can do there except make it worse (Set other options = “always low”)
[Dynamic Switch] The processor’s power consumption and automatic clock speed switching functions are enabled. (This is default/current enabled setting)
[Always Low] The processor will always run at a lower level of power consumption and a low speed. (Worse than now)

Those numbers only tell coding which you choose, it’s not an adjustable thing only pick one option or the other. Ideally a third option should be there, disabled, but it’s missing!
However, after some tinkering… Yes!! I was able to make “Always Low” >> Disabled option instead! But, since it was not there by default, it may not work?

DynamicCPUDisable.png

Let me check this in assembly and see if it looks like it will be disabled, then I will upload this test BIOS for you (And maybe 2-3 others, with other disabled values too in case this one fails)
Couldn’t locate in Assembly, so could not compare and see layout of edit vs non-edit But, here’s three BIOS to test all with Disabled set differently.

New setting “Dynamic CPU Frequency Mode” should now appear in “Power Management” menu. I did not change from default, so default will be set to Dynamic still
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…744669193592084

I test all 3 bios and the same result not more than 2.7ghz maxim at all core ,the cpu temp and energy and cpu temp see in bios and I disabled these two but without success the same results all core at maxim 2.7 gh

What about Power Management >> Dynamic CPU Frequency Mode << That is what this last set of files was about testing Disable that, check with SiSandra again for all three BIOS, do you get same warning as before about Dynamic Mode enabled?

I test all 3 bios with sisandra and shows the same problem dynamic frequency,and in bios on option syas that dynamic is disabled but is in greey doesn’t have option to change that and says dynamic is disabled in greey

Thanks, and sorry about that, we don’t want grayed out option, let me look at that again and make you need files. I think I made those changes to change the setting from 'Always Low" to “Disabled” as an option, but then forgot to make enabled/ungray for you!
I wanted you to be able to set dynamic and disable, so you could test if SiSandra says same for Dynamic and Disabled.

Also, if it’s set to disabled now, that means original BIOS may have been set to “Always Low” as default, so even if new “Disabled” option fails, be sure to test setting “Dynamic” too, since I don’t think that was the default setting now that you say “Disabled” shows as default (I didn’t change default behavior/choice, only edited the setting in place)

Here is those same three BIOS again, this time you should be able to adjust. Test each BIOS and for each one, test both Dynamic and Disabled. If this fails, maybe we need to figure out how to make it “Always High” instead of disabled

Wait! I checked, all three should not be grayed out Show me image of this page, so I can see what else is gray and what is not, thanks

I think is my error when I explained ,I didn’t explaind well,the option dynamic cpu frq mode is good but wwhen I click on him its says dynamic switch disabled In teroy should be disabled? but nothing change the sisandra shwos the same problem I will send you foto

dynamic cpu switch.jpg

dynamic cpu.jpg

Thanks! Yes, I didn’t understand what you meant, but the images help. That should be two different options you can select, is it not? Options should be “Dynamic Switch” or “Disabled” Can you move between the two and select one or the other?
I do not know which you want, which is best. I am not sure what is originally the default value, maybe we need to first have you test unedited option (without “Disabled” added), only unhide option, so you can then see what default setting is.
Dynamic may be what you want, or disabled. If you cannot select disabled, in any of the three BIOS I sent you, then this change from “Always Low” option to my edited "Disabled’ is a failed edit, I expected this since “Disabled” is not an original option for that setting.

I tried to find an “Always high” value to make that setting instead of “Always Low”, but could not . We need to find BIOS with these setting, that has disabled option originally there as a choice, maybe that could help me do better edit for disabled but I’m not sure on that either.

All this time we’re messing with this, you have Intel Speedstep and EIST disabled correct? Also, please add CPU-z main tab screenshot, thanks

Please also link me to other versions of your BIOS, I see here at Toshiba “Always High” should be an option!! So maybe only this BIOS it’s missing, I will check all older ones you link
Or give me full model name, like PSK1WC-10F01S or L750-BT4N22 etc, seems there is more than one that use this same L750 model name.
https://support.toshiba.com/support/view…ontentId=409887

Never mind, I think both those models I gave above are same, after selecting OS here all files are same for both (checking other BIOS now for “Always High” option) - I checked all versions (3.60, 3.50, 3.40, 3.30, 3.10, 1.40) none have “Always High” option
https://support.toshiba.com/support/mode…0012587&osId=31
https://support.toshiba.com/support/mode…-0UP04G&osId=31

In windows power options, do you have set High Performance with AC ?

yes is set to high performance the motherboard of this laptop is DABLBDMB8E0 REV;E Satellite L750-1KU

Código: PSK2YE-0JY00CCE , all bios that you said is compatibile with this laptop model ,turbo is enabled because when I disable turbo wont get much than stock value 2.5ghz and with turbo enabled get 2.7ghz at full speed all core at maxim ,but when the processor when is not going on maxim is going one core at 3ghz 3.4 for 2 seconds and about dynamic swithch in the foto possible will be two option but wont let me chosee a option only appears like you see in foto

Turbo is not EIST and Speedstep, find and disable those in BIOS. 3.4 is nearly max for this CPU, I still think heat is what limits this under load.

Thanks for explain on Dynamic, that means my changed from Always Low to Disabled is a failed edit. We need to find BIOS with Always High option there, I can’t find any from that one page I linked, those are all very old systems.

what i found in bios is P STATES IST ENABLE PROCESOR PERFORMANCE STATES when is disabled turbo wont working,and with another program in windows like ThrottleStop detect sped step but when i disable this speed step nothing happens or in bios this spped step has another name but with the same function because the ThrottleStop detect speed step I will sen you a foto and a short video to see better https://www.sendspace.com/file/rbclvd

P-states not what I mean either. Two things, one Intel Speedstep and other EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep), these in BIOS not in throttlestop. Leave C3 enabled, and maybe leave EIST enabled, for turbo…
But for now, all this moot point, since Dynamic CPU is enabled. Nothing is going to work until we can disable that or set Always High.