CPU Microcode BIOS modding questions/problems

Well I seemed to have completely confused myself.

I have few Wiwynn Open Compute servers, dual socket 2011 c602 chipsets, that I am trying to add Ivy Bridge microcode to so I can run E5-26xx v1 and E5-26xx v2 cpu’s

I have tried UBU and that has not worked for adding Ivy Bridge at all, but I can update to the newest sandy bridge codes just fine since they boot and run perfectly.

The EP_P09RG.02.zip is the latest official bios.

The UD_ALLV1_01.zip is the bios that I updated to the latest sandy bridge microcode and changed the date and version info that shows on the bios splash screen and boots with v1 cpu’s and works just fine.

If I add ivy bridge microcode with ubu ver 1.69. it does not boot but just has an endless restart on both E5-26xx v1 and E5-26xx v2 cpu’s.

If I try to use UBU ver 1.74. it does not give me the option to update to ivy bridge like the older versions do.

If anyone could look at this and give me some tips or tell me what I am doing wrong I would really appreciate it.

P.s. I even tried this guide [GUIDE] AMI INTEL CPU Microcode Update Guide and reached the point where I am only confusing myself more.

UD_ALLV1_01.zip (2.65 MB)

EP_P09RG.02.zip (3 MB)

Im running a Xeon 1230v5 on an MSI E3 KRAIT GAMING V5

IN order to unlock the multiplier for this, do I need to update Microcode? Or can I just set all the bios settings to "USER" for this.

The automatic microcode upates that UBU does I assume is just to eexpand the socket to be able to use 8th genn?

Basically what im wondering is do I need a modified microcode to unlock the multiplier of this CPU or can I just unlock the bios settings.

Thanks

@Plasticbags - this is not the thread for that, you need to search around for MSI and or those V5 Xeons and see how the multiplier is unlocked
I’ve done that before for users, but it’s not something I keep in my mind what needs done, once you find let me know and I can do the mod for you. I believe certain ME FW needs to be used, and possibly certain microcodes used (or none used) and then some other actual BIOS mod too.
I’ve done it in the past, but only based on users showing me example like “Here they discuss/do this etc and then mod works” So I follow from their comment, do the mod, then all sorted. If you simply mean that you can’t make the multiplier option visible in the BIOS, that’s different, and easy to sort out.

Sounds like you need to research more before you know what you need done, then ask for help doing it. Here’s two threads that may have the answer for what you need, once you are sure let me know and I can do the mod
Xeon E3 V5 on MSI Z170-A PC MATE
Xeon E3-1240 v5 working with MSI Z170-A PC MATE but with bios reset on boot

@opencomputeguy - this is second reply I’ve posted for you in past hour or so, no need to post in multiple location for the same issue.
Please link me to the stock BIOS download from manufacturer for the board you have, and tell me what exact CPUID’s you want added and I can make you BIOS, if that fails then you need more than just microcode mod to use those CPU’s

http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7A43v16.zip

Hmm ok I am still not sure, im still new to this… I need to do something about the microcode and the ME area? The BCLK is unlocked so I can type stuff in the box in the bios but it locks the numbers to 34.

My board natively supports the 1230v5, but you cant overclock the multiplier. So really im trying to just get the multiplier unlocked - so since this CPU is skylake I think from what ive read I need to have the non-K overclock microcode and soem sort of bios mod with ME being set to reserved or something?

Hi,

I’ve found BIOS from QNAP for Zen+ series CPUs. HW itself built for Zen series (TS-x77 series).
I updated its microcodes using UBU.
After that I replaced some EPYC microcode (800F12) to Zen2 (870F10) using hexeditor.
I even extracted not latest 870F10 microcode from Gygabyte BIOS and replaced using hexeditor same way and updated it using UBU to latest version. Checked md5 and they have match.
MMTool showed that all 8xxFxx microcodes are placed in Padding section, so no need to look for GUIDs and so on.
I’ve looked for all blocks from 1usmus (from overclock.net) and it seems that PMU is 0.0.7.2.

Could somebody check is all was done correctly with these mods. Because brick few $K NAS is not so good prospective.

@Plasticbags - Sorry I missed your reply until now! Did you do more research yet? I think for Xeon you need to remove ME, or maybe not, but you will have to tell/show me where someone is discussing mod BIOS for your chipset and similar CPU family
34?? That’s not a bclk, sounds like you are talking about CPU multiplier, not Bclk. And then yes, your last sentence you are not talking about the CPU multiplier. Is your Xeon Unlocked??? I don’t think ANY Xeon have unlocked multiplier these days.

@SkyRE - sorry, I have no idea what you are discussing above, but didn’t want you to feel ignored If you simply need CPU microcodes replaced, link me to stock BIOS from manufacturer (or not uploaded to Mega, Dropbox, or box)

Things you mentioned that I do not recognize >> EPYC - Zen2 - PMU
If you are simply talking about microcode updates, I can do that for you safely no problem

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS ,

Uploaded stock images - 1st, 2nd.
Need to add Ryzen 3000 series support (Zen 2 microarchitecture) and keep Ryzen 1000 (Zen), 2000 (Zen+) series support.
Not sure about keeping Zen,Zen+ if Zen2 will work but I replaced in files AMD EPYC 7281 microcode (CPUID 800F12, Zen microarchitecture).
PMU - memory controller firmware

Added mods 1st, 2nd

@Lost_N_BIOS

Hi mate.
I’m finding problems trying to update my Asus x299 Omega Bios to 50654 Microcode 65 via UBU. Both Linux and Windows won’t boot. But they’ll boot with any of the previous microcodes.
Can u have a look or must wait for a new Bios from Asus???
Thanks in advance!!!

@SkyRE - Thanks, I gotcha now. Sorry, I only know about updating microcodes, not AGESA or CPU Family support kind of stuff. Hopefully someone else will stop in and help you out with that, or at least advise about it.

@vmanuelgm - looks like a known issue/bug with that microcode maybe? - Intel, AMD, VIA & Freescale CPU Microcode Repositories Discussion (21)
As you can see, plutomaniac didn’t add to repo either (But, he is busy right now, so that could be why) - https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes/tree/master/Intel

If you know others are using it now, proof shown, link me to their BIOS, and link me to your BIOS and I will put it in there for you, then you will know if it’s a microcode bug or something in Asus BIOS they need to fix (while you wait)

@Lost_N_BIOS

Hi again.
I leave both Omega (not booting) and Supermicro (booting) bios’s with MC65:

https://mega.nz/#!g2oyGYTQ!ZkdfOvNT4NiE6…tQ71IRhsV5f_0j4

Waiting for your thoughts!!!

Thanks again.

@Lost_N_BIOS for me it will be fine if you do "CPU microcodes replaced" to support Ryzen 3000 series.

@raun0 @SoniX
IN regards to #187-190 + #232

About MPDT at some BIOS microcode footer >> 4D 50 44 54 00 01 00 00 10 00 00 00 00 00 10 00
During some testing and attempted error resolution the other day, I found out something about this item.
But sadly, I never solved my original issue though, MMTool error about not enough size to add more microcode, I forget the exact wording or BIOS so I can’t recreate right now
Anyway, the second to last byte “10” controls if MMTool can edit ucodes or not (10 yes, 01/20/30 no) If anything other than 10 there, at least what I mentioned testing, then Insert/Delete uCode will be grayed out in MMTool.

@SkyRE - Sorry, I did not see your post above until now Do you still need help with this?

@vmanuelgm - same as above

@Lost_N_BIOS

U indeed helped me via private message but I finally didn’t try those Bios’s since there must be some kind of problem with that Microcode.

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS ,

Happy New Year!!!
Yes I need your help with that.

@SkyRE - As mentioned at post 386 please link me to the stock BIOS download page from manufacturer that you want used. Also, I don’t know AMD CPU’s, so don’t talk to me about CPU family etc I’m lost there.
Please tell me exactly what CPUID you want added and I can do that, if some older need removed I will let you know when it comes to that, otherwise they will all be left in place.

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS ,
Unfortunately QNAP doesn’t have such page with BIOSes for their products. Only “firmwares” (Linux inside), but they also doesn’t always have BIOS inside of it (may be even don’t have at all) and it crypted, and so on …
I’ve got those BIOSes from QNAP site by guesses and I’ve uploaded them to TinyUpload.com ,links in post #387 - "1st, 2nd."
If you need mentioned direct links from QNAP let me know.

CPUID to add to both BIOSes - 870F10

Hope D2 is as good as CA for 906EA, CA is amazing, first one since all this spectre crap started, vcore requirements went DOWN by .02v, system agent can be undervolted from 1.05v to 1v…

Vcore requirements went down because you lost about 100 mhz worth of performance on Cinebench R20/R15 / LinX 0.9.6 (Gflops), etc. So of course vcore requirements will get lower when your CPU is running slower thanks to all the security stuff :frowning:

Vcore requirements went down because you lost about 100 mhz worth of performance on Cinebench R20/R15 / LinX 0.9.6 (Gflops), etc. So of course vcore requirements will get lower when your CPU is running slower thanks to all the security stuff :frowning:

No, theres no difference in performance here with CA vs some before it (C6, BA, etc), the voltage increase requirements started after 84 and were the same, till now. On this system anyway, went back and forth between mcodes, dfference is definitely there.

No, theres no difference in performance here with CA vs some before it (C6, BA, etc), the voltage increase requirements started after 84 and were the same, till now. On this system anyway, went back and forth between mcodes, dfference is definitely there.

Hi,
I tested CA and C6 and both of them scored 2185 CB at 5 ghz consistently.
With BE and AE and A2 microcodes, I scored 2240. (5.1 ghz scores 2283 on this).

Anyway,
Someone actually used microcode 906EC "84" with a 9900k (P0 stepping)?
I have it but afraid to mod it into the BIOS because I don’t even know if it works (who actually tested that old microcode? You said you tested 84?)
And the vmware microcode windows loader (microcode cpu updater 2.1, with microcode.dat created with the famous "dat converter", with the older microcodes) won’t run it because it’s older than the microcode in the BIOS. How did you manage to run it without modding it into your BIOS?

This old 9900k microcode required less voltage than newer ones?