CPU Microcode BIOS modding questions/problems

A tool like HWinfo can only show, what it is coded to look for, no matter if it is correct.
Example: The Device Manager shows the driver date of all on-board Controllers, but it doesn’t even check the driver itself. It just reads the associated .INF (=text) file. So if you change the driver date entry by editing the INF file yourself, the Device Manage will show that date and not the correct driver date, which only can be verified by right clicking onto the driver itself (= .SYS file) and choosing "Properties" > "Details".

There has a mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll inside the system itself, which contains the latest microcode. So I think windows uses its own microcode after boot. I’ve moded my bios file with 07microcode, but aida64 shows I’m using the latest 1E. After simply searching and deleting 2 mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll files, aida64 shows the correct 07 microcode.
I have a problem modding my biostar hifi b85z bios, downgrading the microcode just to lock turbo boost of all 4 cores in E3v3 1231 to 3.8GHz, but it’s not that simple. 4cores can only performing 3.6GHz at the same time. So anyone knows about this? How to modify "Max Turbo Boost Multipliers"?

capture.PNG

And original bios file http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/biosdl.php?BID=3805

I have a problem, I have mod a bios sabertooth x99 with uefitool, there are three set of cpu microcode?

Wow! I’m not lonely in my problem! Now I’m searching for how to modify my motherboards BIOS to unlock. First I tried to compare two BIOSes with and without modification. Found that there are some new blocks in modified BIOS. Today I discovered this forum and UBU. Trying to understand what to do with that all. Still researching. If you find some information about how it works I’ll be appreciate to you. I had ASUS Z170-P motherboard and Pentium G4400.

@Yazon2006 So get the latest BIOS from ASUS website, flash the latest ME Firmware from Plutomaniac using FWUpdLcl, then dump the bios using’ FPT.EXE -d BIOS.BIN’, use UEFITool to extract ME Firmware, copy the Integrated Clock Controller values from the ASUS unlocked ME Firmware to your ME FIrmware using FITC, then flash the modded ME Firmware using ‘fpt.exe -f NAMEOFMEFILE.BIN -ME’ After that it should work.

@ Everyone else Yazon2006 will confirm if the theory will work or not. This theory so far has been untested.

What happens if I remove the codes of processors that are not needed for my CPU?

Usually modern OS have a microcode update mechanism included. Linux has this and Windows also. So if you use an actual OS the latest microcodes are included and applied automatically.

Someone told me for Haswell-E (5960X) the latest microcode in included in a Windows update but I don’t think this is true.
Can some explain it to me?

Edit: I use Windows 10.

Windows will never keep up with the microcode releases, you are lucky if you will see one or two updates during an OS lifetime. If you have Win10 fully updated, please upload "mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll" and "mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll" from Windows\System32.

@lordkag
@SoniX

Hi all, first let me say thanks for the tools and the info. It’s been very educational to read all of these posts. Quick question. How do I know what bugs are patch in a specific microcode update? I’m familiar with the spec update pdfs from Intel that detail the bugs but how do I know which are fixed in a particular microcode? I thought about looking at the release date of the microcode update and the dates the errata were added to the spec update pdfs but idk if that’s a safe assumption. Can you offer any guidance?

@SpookiDooki :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!
Since I am not an expert regarding the CPU Microcode, I hope, that you will get an answer from someone, who knows more about this topic.

No problem, I have moved your post into the correct thread.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hey i dont know if you still wanted it but here is the two files you wanted there from windows 10 build 14251 it does seem to have the latest microcode for the x99 processors

Windows microcode.rar (461 KB)

Nothing new for the X99 is the same 36.

If I understood you correctly, you are interested in information about changes in each version of the the microcode? Unfortunately I have no such information. Intel is not always Publius information about the changes.

Perhaps I was wrong and Microsoft is trying to keep up with latest microcodes. Or Intel is pressing them, seeing how AMD has nothing new to offer. I have attached the content of latest mcupdate*.dll, in visual and binary form.

Win10_Microcodes.png

Win10_Microcodes.rar (526 KB)

@lordkag rg how did you get the dll file extracted? Can you tell me which tool you are using for? Thank you.

Note that the newest Microcodes are probably only incorporated in/released for Windows 10.
For Windows 8.1, I did not receive the latest one, whereas on Windows 10 I did.

MSI Updated some Bios Files, on Z170 Chipset Boards there is Microcode with date 05/01/2016.

microcode_06e3_74.rar (93.1 KB)

^
Old news…
[Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions, Reports and Suggestions (148)

Sry, didn´t read the entire Thread to figure out that it was posted before.

Hello
I have an i5 non k
I would like to make it run at max turbo on all cores.
Will downgrading to version 7 work?
Version 8 states "disabled non k overclocking"
Also I have 3 cpu microcode modules in stock .cap file, after inserting version 7 I have only one microcode.

And will ez flash 2 in bios flash it?

Anyone else out there tried this for this reason? Did it work?

@ Bread
Introduction 7 microcode allows you to set the maximum Turbo Boost to all core processor without an index K.

Microcode processors CPUID 06C1 and 06C2 you do not need.

Flash a modified BIOS standard utilities you do not succeed.
[Guide] How to flash a modded ASUS/ASRock/Gigabyte AMI UEFI BIOS