Dell e7440

Thank you thank you!! I will post my results once I get it up and running!

Thank you all for your replies, i signed up just to thank you.

My steps were much simpler after reading all the replies and the posts on other forums

1) Partition USB stick to 1GB (just so there are no issues if you use a large drive)
2) format partition as FAT32
3) copy the bootx64.efi file onto the flash drive under EFI\Boot<br />4) UEFI boot off the drive
5) type in ā€œsetup_var 0x19Dā€ (should return 0x0) << this is to check
6) type in "setup_var 0x19D 0x1"
7) type in ā€œsetup_var 0x19Dā€ (should return 0x1) << this is to check
8) reboot and set your bios (if not set already) to RAID, then use CTRL + I to get into the Intel Raid setup, create your array, and off you go.

im using 2x of the stock Samsung PM851 SSDs that theoretically can read 540MB/s each ill run it through atto bench once win 8.1 gets laid down.

@ AC1K:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback and the usable short form guide.

Regards
Fernando

the stock SSDs are not nearly as fast as the Evoā€™s the other guy had, but a significant increase in speed all around.

(i know the WEI scores dont mean anything in real life but i ran it anyways)

Hi Everyone,

Great article thanks for the help. I have also made this change and I am able to create a raid0 setup on my Lattitude E6540.

Iā€™m running into an odd error whereby once I have installed windows to the raid array, it fails to boot, giving the error no boot device found. Windows seems to install ok but fails to boot from the harddrive. I have tried lots of different settings in the bios with no luck, I have also tried installing Intel RST pre windows, with no luck. Can anyone offer any advice?

- Liam

@ Liam Jordan:
Hello Liam,
welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

We need some further informations:
1. Chipset
2. version of the Intel RAID ROM/EFI "RaidDriver" in the BIOS
3. OS
4. amount and models of connected storage devices (all of them except the system drive (here: RAID0 members) should be unplugged
5. model of the RAID0 members

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Hi Dieter thanks for a quick reply.

1) Chipset: Intel ID0C04
Soutbridge: Intel ID8C4F
2) Iā€™m not sure how to check bios driver version?? Please help!
3) Windows 10 Enterprise
4) 1 connected storage drive (Windows boot drive) Kingston Data traveller 3.0
5) Crucial_CT240M500SSD1
Crucial_CT256MX100SSD1

Thank you for your help!

- Liam

I have never heard about such Chipset and Soutbridge names. What you have written seem to be the DeviceIDs of the CPU and the LPC Controller.

Enter the Intel RAID Utility either by hitting CTRL+I while booting or from within the UEFI BIOS. Then you will see the version of the Intel RAID BIOS module.

In the last post you had written, that you installed the OS onto the RAID0 array.

Were they connected to the mainboard during the OS installation?
Can you boot into Windows after having unplugged both RAID0 members?
Have you set the Intel SATA Controller to "RAID" in the BIOS before you started the OS installation?

Hey, thanks for the help.

Those chipset names were given from CPUZ.

The intel raid utility is the following version: Intel(R) Rapid Store Technology - Option ROM - 12.6.0.1867

Sorry to be more clear that is my windows installer drive that has my Windows 10 install. It is unplugged once windows has been installed, I just thought I should mention it. Windows itself was installed to the array.

Both drives were connected during installation. I have not tried booting to windows with the drives unplugged if thatā€™s what you mean? But these are the only drives in the system, if I disconnected them Iā€™m sure it wouldnā€™t work!

SATA operation is set to Raid On.

Thank you for your investigation!

- Liam

@ LIAM:
Thanks for having answered my questions.
So if your were able to get Win10 installed onto the RAID array, but now cannot boot into the OS again, the bootsector seems to be corrupted.
Try to repair it by booting off the Win10 image and using the Repair option.

Hi Dieter,

Unfortunately I have tried the repair function multiple times. I have tried refreshing and resetting the pc which are the options on the win 10 image. I have also performed multiple clean installs as I have been trying different options, with uefi and things. The last install I tried was in legacy mode with raid enabled. I booted into recovery first and used CMD to clean and repartition the drives, then rebuilt the raid array. I performed a full clean install that was successful, the install went through its usual restart process at the end, as soon as the machine was reloaded - no boot device found.

For some reason the boot sector does not seem to be installing correctly - or my first suspicions, the bios does not know how to read the striped array. I would be grateful if you had any other ideas!

- Liam

Hi Dieter,

Quick update for you. I have managed to get the raid working, but I am not sure how!
First option I tried was to swap over the drives, so the slightly larger drive was in sata0 slot. I also reduced the size of the raid by 500mb to make sure it wasnā€™t trying to write to a section of the smaller drive that didnā€™t exist.
Finally I went into the bios settings, I disabled all legacy features, all intel / dell features in the bios and made sure it was running as basic as possible. I then re-ran the install in uefi mode.
Again the boot failed after the install. However this time instead of rebooting manually I hit f1 to retry rebootā€¦ and somehow it found the OS and bootedā€¦
I installed updates, rebooted, once again it failed to boot, no uefi devices found. I hit F1 to retry and it boots straight awayā€¦
So it seems everytime I turn on the laptop it tells me it cannot find the boot deviceā€¦ when I retry it then boots fine! Strange issue now but atleast it is workingā€¦

- Liam

The above was fixed by changing boot order to raid0 first.

Seems to be all fixed, one of the above things worked Iā€™m just no idea which part it was.

Good luck everyone!

- Liam

@ Liam Jordan:
Thanks for your report.

Have fun with your Lattitude E6540 running in RAID0 mode!
Dieter

I apologise if I am overlooking a trick. However I am not able to get to a point where I can simply boot off the USB key. Are you able to outline the steps undertaken to create the key. My machine looks to operate in a loop then eventually boot of the present installed OS (which I plan to flatten).

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Please ignore my post I have seen the error of my ways.

Thank you AC1K Great post now my brain has kicked into gear. :slight_smile:

Please does anyone has a complete bios dump for the model Latitude E7240. Thank You very much.

@ alkalineknight and @ raileanu:

Wecome at Win-RAID Forum and good luck regarding your request for help!

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

this was very help full for my dell e6540

I did just like this (mini modded):
1) removed
2) format the usb stick as FAT32
3) copy the bootx64.efi file into the flash drive under EFI\Boot\ -(http://brains.by/posts/bootx64.7z)-
4) UEFI boot off the drive (F12)
5) type in ā€œsetup_var 0x19Dā€ (should return 0x0) << this is to check
6) type in "setup_var 0x19D 0x1"
7) type in ā€œsetup_var 0x19Dā€ (should return 0x1) << this is to check
8) reboot and set your bios (if not set already) to RAID, then use CTRL + I to get into the Intel Raid setup, create your array, and off you go.

and set the bios to uefi , to boot properly, otherwise you will get invalid partition table.

Hi guys.
Thank you so much for the posts.
I was so excite when I see this thread. but I am not able to enter raid menu after setup_var 0x19d 1.
I think maybe because I am using BIOS version A25. I tried to us ftpw64 to dump the bios but failed. first time with command fptw64 -D back.bin -BIOS. it gives no errno. but I cannot find the file. second time it will show error 366.
many thanks in advance if anyone can help
Regards
===============update==============
after reflash official BIOS. and setup_var 0x19D 1 again.
it works!!!
thank you guys so much.

I am using BIOS A25.
I will resetup the OS then test the performance.