Dell OptiPlex 5060 - orange power led blink - 1 long 2 short

Yes, and you noticed that there are 2 different filesets? That’s one reason why ‘flashing something from another machine’ isn’t a good idea.

Read the stickies for the subforums, many of them have guides that explain a lot of the items you asked.

Guys, my soic16 clip has arrived.
Images below.

I connected the clip to the IC and had no communication.

Should I connect the Soic16 directly to the CH341A or do I have to adapt it to the SOIC8?
Thanks

Well in case that no one told you before… these cheap CH341 requires a correct pin contact from the clip that is not always easy to get, besides the view of human eye it may seem ok but its not… several attempts must be made.
Also there’s motherboard circuits that may require CMOS 3,3v present and/or ATX PSU power standby and depending on SPI required voltage 3v or 1,8 range.
Do not select the SPI model manually, the app when in correct connection should identify the SPI.
Sidenote…we shouldn’t have pcbs scattered across the motherboard… that may cause connection to circuits… i see that metal from the vga header touching the pcb… :rage:

2 Likes

8 pins of all my ch341 sockets is 25type SPI, the other half 24xx type, normally it’s printed on the board.

Most SOIC 16 have only 8 pins connected, you’ll have to sort pins/cables yourself!

Optimism normally is considered a positive thing but just putting things together since it looks good without knowing what one’s doing might shorten the process in an unwanted way.

Thanks for the note about the pcb in the contacts. I’m afraid to try to take it off and break it. I put a piece of paper to insulate.

The way I’m doing it (soic16/soic16), if I get the contacts correctly, will the communication work?

It all depends on the signals/wires assigned from the clip to the header and to the CH341 itself, any complains ask the chinese… now thats a full 16/16pin header, you need the check the Winbond W25Q256JV diagram of the SPI as usually the 8 midlle pins are not used.
I have 8 to 16 header and Dupont jumper wires…not a full header block that you cant exchange pin/wire assignment… you may have to modify the something in clip (The needles) itself (You cant on the header) but you can also break the solder on the wires doing so…cheap stuff

To understand a bit of all this “garbage” lol, take a look at this user issue/thread
Bricked Dell Optiplex 5060 + CH341a + SOP16 > Alive again - BIOS/UEFI Modding / Reports: BIOS Modding Results - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

It needs a lot of dedication…over_n_out, Good luck

1 Like

It all depends on the signals/wires assigned from the clip to the header and to the CH341 itself, any complains ask the chinese… now thats a full 16/16pin header, you need the check the Winbond W25Q256JV diagram of the SPI as usually the 8 midlle pins are not used.
I have 8 to 16 header and Dupont jumper wires…not a full header block that you cant exchange pin/wire assignment… you may have to modify the something in clip (The needles) itself (You cant on the header) but you can also break the solder on the wires doing so…cheap stuff

This is not my picture, its an illustration to show you a conversion from 16 to 8pins to plug on CH341, theres several blank pcbs to build one, example

Taken fro here:
Archer C9 V.4 Can ch341a be used for programming a 16pin Winbond w25q128fv - Badcaps Forums

Dumping Firmware With the CH341a Programmer - Black Hills Information Security (blackhillsinfosec.com)

Just buy Dupont cables to your current adapter if it needs correction to the CH341

If not using the info and connection as made by that user in the thread i linked before, basically we need something like this, but the model of the SPi IC has something to say, these are not easy ICs to flash and we do not achieve great percentage of success compared to SOIC8…
You better get in some Brazilian forums to communicate better on this details…

or search for “SOIC16 SOP16 SOP8 To DIP8”

2 Likes

The fight continues.
I still can’t talk to the chip (with and without the CR2032 battery). Should I connect the PSU to the motherboard?
Thanks

1 Like

You should measure the circuit to the SPI when CMOS battery is present.
This is a 1,8v IC if not mistaken…not reading upper posts… the PSU should be 3,3v stand-by power and this always the last thing to try. Theres the risk of damage to the CH341 or IC.
Many Macs and pc laptop boards require PSU on but this is desktop motherboard with 3,3v CMOS and it all depends on the motherboard circuit design.
You should confim this with that user from the thread i previously linked.
He did tried with PSU and no results.
He confirmed the connection established after post #15

Even with a brand new set as you just build, theres still the “tiny” issue of correct contact, it may look correctly connected… very common on this clips.

Do please keep in mind that all my guidance is given by general knowledge and i im not going to confirm it personally all this details, every time a user asks help on a subject… i would not live my personal and professional life if i were to loose time to this forum or any other forum with such technical details to each user/issue, im sure that you know and understand what i mean…
Regards.

EDIT: Ok when the IC is 2,7v to 3,6v.

1 Like

Thank you very much for following my attempts to access the IC W25Q256JVFQ.

Captura de tela de 2023-05-31 10-48-55

As the CH341A operates with 3.3 V, there is no risk of damaging the IC, ok? Or am I wrong?
I’ll keep trying to access the IC. I will report here.

1 Like

Hey guys

I couldn’t read the IC soldered on the motherboard.
To test I bought 2 chips 25Q256JVFQ (same as on the motherboard) to try to read.
On the first try, the CH341a detected and read the IC normally.
Now I’m going to try to unsolder the IC from the motherboard to try to make the backup.
If it works I would like to have your help to try to record the new one, because it seems to me a very complicated task.
Thanks

Same post as 3 days ago? Read the chip and attach the dump of your chip to a post.

Read the chip at least twice, you need 2 a 100% identical reads to be sure that they are correct. Check the structure with UEFIToolNE.

1 Like

Hello
I removed the chip from the motherboard. I read and wrote 2 files.
File 1: dell_5060-1.bin
Hash MD5: 7e69d050a4d1ed04ee30db278ef374d7

File 2: dell_5060-2.bin
Hash MD5: 7e69d050a4d1ed04ee30db278ef374d7

I can’t attach the dump file (32768MB).

Good to hear that it seemed to work!

That’s tragic. Should normally have acceptable size zipped? Heard of splitted zip archives or file hoster services?

Sorry, I forgot to try to upload the compressed file.
Uploaded file
Thank you for being patient in helping. I have no experience performing this procedure.

dell_5060-1.zip (9.8 MB)

The firmware looks fine, one slight difference to stock I can’t explain in code areas:

Otherwise both NVRAM filled with a lot of a little ‘rare’ identical entries in the end, but nothing really obvious.

Try that file:
dell_5060-1_natbreg_ME.zip (9.3 MB)

That’s your firmware with a stock bios, DVAR block transfered (0x1081000, size 0x10000), ME clean / freshly initialized according to

After programming dump the chip again in a separate process, save the dumped content with another name, and compare it to the original file. They should be a 100% identical.

(If this works and in case you should have to work again on the firmware- it’s the folder with “2 CombineBiosName…”)

1 Like

Thank you very much
I recorded the file you sent in a new chip and soldered it on the motherboard. Then post the result here.

Hey guys,

After several attempts the board does not work. I come to the conclusion that it must be a hardware problem. Electronics.

I thank everyone who helped me. I learned a little more from you.

Thank you so much.

Thanks for the feedback!