Dell OptiPlex 5060 - orange power led blink - 1 long 2 short

Hey guys,

I have a Dell OptiPlex 5060. After power on, the orange power led blink 1 long and 2 short.

Apparently the BIOS has corrupted.
The Dell support website states the below.

Is it possible to flash this BIOS?
The SPI is Winbond 25Q256JVFQ (image below)

I have a CH341a recorder. I’m going to buy a 16 pin clamp because I only have 8 pins.

On the Dell support site I found 2 BIOS files:
OptiPlex_5060_1.24.0.exe
BIOS_IMG.rcv

The exe only runs on the Dell machine itself
I unzipped the file with 7z and the result was the image below.
Captura de tela de 2023-05-05 14-05-25

Can the BIOS_IMG.rcv file be written directly to the SPI chip?

Can you help me?

And still, you should and MUST read/dump the atual SPI state and save it, it contains system specific data, BEFORE any programming/flash.

Just in case, refer to the correct SFF service guide and check the power led summary in page 67…

What led the system to get a corrupt bios?
EDIT: Oh i see… good luck then.

EDIT: Usually on EXE but RCV seems same data, but better check it yourself. Also check the system codes, there’s 2 of them.

1 Like

It’s a school computer lab. I suspect that a student may have turned off during the BIOS update process or a power outage also during the BIOS update.

Do I use “Dell PFS Update Extractor” with “OptiPlex_5060_1.24.0.exe” or “BIOS_IMG.rcv” file?

Not only that, Dell doesn’t deliver a complete firmware image but only bios region. So you’re missing FD, GbE and ME and need them from your own firmware…

2 Likes

Do you think it’s possible to bring this machine back to life.

If one does’t damage sth while working with the flasher and if it is really firmware related then yes, there’s a good chance.

Important to get a good read of the chip content (at least 2 a 100% identical reads checked for correct structure).

Is it possible to copy the SPI content from another machine of the same model and apply it to the one with the problem?

Possible but not recommended, migth give some problems.

Do some reading, there are lots of descriptions here and other places.

1 Like

I downloaded the “BIOSUtilites” scripts to extract the “.exe” files. When running it I got the result below.

Captura de tela de 2023-05-07 20-48-39

Captura de tela de 2023-05-07 20-49-11

Captura de tela de 2023-05-07 20-50-18

Now it got even more complicated.

I had flashed BIOS before, but it was one of those old ones. I simply downloaded it from the company’s website and recorded it. These newer ones are much more complex and I have no knowledge. Could you point me to literature for me to try to understand the structure of SPI Flash? What are regions and what does each one do. For example: what do the FD, GbE and ME regions mean? Thanks so much for helping.

Yes, and you noticed that there are 2 different filesets? That’s one reason why ‘flashing something from another machine’ isn’t a good idea.

Read the stickies for the subforums, many of them have guides that explain a lot of the items you asked.

Guys, my soic16 clip has arrived.
Images below.

I connected the clip to the IC and had no communication.

Should I connect the Soic16 directly to the CH341A or do I have to adapt it to the SOIC8?
Thanks

Well in case that no one told you before… these cheap CH341 requires a correct pin contact from the clip that is not always easy to get, besides the view of human eye it may seem ok but its not… several attempts must be made.
Also there’s motherboard circuits that may require CMOS 3,3v present and/or ATX PSU power standby and depending on SPI required voltage 3v or 1,8 range.
Do not select the SPI model manually, the app when in correct connection should identify the SPI.
Sidenote…we shouldn’t have pcbs scattered across the motherboard… that may cause connection to circuits… i see that metal from the vga header touching the pcb… :rage:

2 Likes

8 pins of all my ch341 sockets is 25type SPI, the other half 24xx type, normally it’s printed on the board.

Most SOIC 16 have only 8 pins connected, you’ll have to sort pins/cables yourself!

Optimism normally is considered a positive thing but just putting things together since it looks good without knowing what one’s doing might shorten the process in an unwanted way.

Thanks for the note about the pcb in the contacts. I’m afraid to try to take it off and break it. I put a piece of paper to insulate.

The way I’m doing it (soic16/soic16), if I get the contacts correctly, will the communication work?

It all depends on the signals/wires assigned from the clip to the header and to the CH341 itself, any complains ask the chinese… now thats a full 16/16pin header, you need the check the Winbond W25Q256JV diagram of the SPI as usually the 8 midlle pins are not used.
I have 8 to 16 header and Dupont jumper wires…not a full header block that you cant exchange pin/wire assignment… you may have to modify the something in clip (The needles) itself (You cant on the header) but you can also break the solder on the wires doing so…cheap stuff

To understand a bit of all this “garbage” lol, take a look at this user issue/thread
Bricked Dell Optiplex 5060 + CH341a + SOP16 > Alive again - BIOS/UEFI Modding / Reports: BIOS Modding Results - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

It needs a lot of dedication…over_n_out, Good luck

1 Like

It all depends on the signals/wires assigned from the clip to the header and to the CH341 itself, any complains ask the chinese… now thats a full 16/16pin header, you need the check the Winbond W25Q256JV diagram of the SPI as usually the 8 midlle pins are not used.
I have 8 to 16 header and Dupont jumper wires…not a full header block that you cant exchange pin/wire assignment… you may have to modify the something in clip (The needles) itself (You cant on the header) but you can also break the solder on the wires doing so…cheap stuff

This is not my picture, its an illustration to show you a conversion from 16 to 8pins to plug on CH341, theres several blank pcbs to build one, example

Taken fro here:
Archer C9 V.4 Can ch341a be used for programming a 16pin Winbond w25q128fv - Badcaps Forums

Dumping Firmware With the CH341a Programmer - Black Hills Information Security (blackhillsinfosec.com)

Just buy Dupont cables to your current adapter if it needs correction to the CH341

If not using the info and connection as made by that user in the thread i linked before, basically we need something like this, but the model of the SPi IC has something to say, these are not easy ICs to flash and we do not achieve great percentage of success compared to SOIC8…
You better get in some Brazilian forums to communicate better on this details…

or search for “SOIC16 SOP16 SOP8 To DIP8”

2 Likes

The fight continues.
I still can’t talk to the chip (with and without the CR2032 battery). Should I connect the PSU to the motherboard?
Thanks

1 Like