[Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions, Reports and Suggestions

@sonix ubu 1.76 is it supported for phoenix bios?thanks

If Phoenix UEFI - partial.

@pokuly - glad you were able to do the mod yourself. Yes, either way is OK/same, especially since new/old microcode is same size in this case, I just wanted to be sure since that user didn’t reply back originally.
Sometimes this breaks the BIOS so hoped we could be sure from him before you did anything.

@Sober :
I have moved your recent post into the "UBU Discussion" thread, which is designed for questions like yours:

Why did you post your question into >this< thread, which is reserved for SoniX, the developer of the UBU tool? It is mentioned very often.

No answer???

Hallo!

Oooh, I will try that and let you know! Thank you anyway!

Cheers, bye

hello , i try to update the microcode of my ga x99 ud5wifi mobo (gigabite) .
so i use the ubu tool but it come up with “Scanning BIOS file bios.bin.
Please wait…
BIOS platform - AMI Aptio V
BIOS version - F24c
Manufacturer - Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model - X99-UD5 WIFI

[EFI Drivers - Find and Extract]
Intel RST GUID 91B4D9C1-141C-4824-8D02-3C298E36EB3F
AMI NVMe GUID 634E8DB5-C432-43BE-A653-9CA2922CC458
Intel 1Gb GUID 1A7828FC-DA7D-4BC1-8B58-9A954FED7D70

[OROM - Find and Extract]
OROM in GUID A0327FE0-1FDA-4E5B-905D-B510C45A61D0
’ff’ n’est pas reconnu en tant que commande interne
ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commandes.

MMTool not present.
Replacing microcodes will not be available.
Recomended MMTool v5.0.0.7 as mmtool_a4.exe Recomended MMTool v5.2.0.2x+ as mmto
ol_a5.exe

Appuyez sur une touche pour continuer…”

idk what s happen and can t find any related info . pls help me /

@Scoty :
I am sorry for the late reply. The main supporter of this UBU thread is the developer SoniX himself and he obviously hasn’t seen your post.
My advice: Address your request personally to SoniX by adding an @ in front of his nickname. Then he will be notified about your post.

Although I am not an UBU expert like SoniX, I try to comment/answer your report/questions:

1. CPU Microcode: According to the UBU tool there are newer/better/safer CPU Microcodes available, but I am unsure whether you have replaced the older ones by typing "R" (Start Replacement) and hitting the "Enter" key.
  2. Network: If you look into your related sceenshot, you will see, that there are newer Intel EFI BIOS modules available. An update is only useful for users, who are using the "Wake-on-LAN" feature.
  3. VideoOnboard: Your MB BIOS contains the latest Intel GopDriver, which supports the iGPU of Skylake CPUs, but the GopDriver of your iGPU can be updated to v9.0.1092, if the GOP VBT has been updated to 221 or higher. For details look >here<.
    The Legacy mode Intel VGA OROM (vBIOS) cannot be updated by the UBU tool. This has to be done separately by using >this< guide.

GPU 1092 i dont find but i see 1096 for Coffeelake?

Here is the download link to the Intel GopDriver v9.0.1092: https://mega.nz/#!0pB3SarD!4Ob9ggYGUzfh5…GchtN3BhpDR4j5I

1096 i can not use?

Although nobody has tested it yet resp. has reported about it, your system may be able to use it, if it has a CoffeeLake or CometLake CPU.
Anyway you have to make sure, that the GopDriver VBT setting is 228 (look >here<).

Just wanted to say that, if Intel GopDriver 1092 works on a system, 1096 should be no problem, i am using 1096 and VBT 221 with my CFL system, works great.

@SoniX
Main menu crash with my bios, small && typo in UBU batch file

OLD > findver " OROM VBIOS IceLake - " 24564254204943 79 FF 4 2 csmcore && && set vervb=14 && exit /b
NEW > findver " OROM VBIOS IceLake - " 24564254204943 79 FF 4 2 csmcore && set vervb=14 && exit /b

Many Thanks,
Biozzz

Fixed

I recognized Windows 18363.449 loaded µC 2C on bootup while the 1.40 BIOS only had µC 26. So MS meanwhile did some things to the OS that needs a newer µC. Most likely CVE mitigations.
I expect a motherboard manufacturer at least for products still on the shelves should regulary update their files and don’t only count the OS doing it for them.
Today i complained at ASRock about the very outdated TXE. There were serious updates and a motherboard still on sale should absolutely have it https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/…l-sa-00213.html
They recommend 4.0.15.xxxx while my newly bought J5005 is at 4.0.0.1245.
Unfortunately the TXE 4 update process is hard for me to understand even when it is well explained here with very detailed threads.

Sorry to disturb this thread further but i was in contact with ASRock support and hinted them to the newest CVE. It is recommending a TXE of 4.0.20.xxxx https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/…l-sa-00241.html
These days the OS brings recent µCs but the TXE can only be updated over a BIOS upgrade thats how they sent me a BIOS 1.42a for the J5005 including µC 2E and TXE 4.0.20.1310

@SoniX
I have tried the last UBU Tool version to try to update Sabertooth X99 BIOS with ‘Intel RST ROM’ to v17.8.0.4438 (from v14.8.0.2377).

Intel_RST_Premium_Controller_DEV_IDs_20nov19.PNG

OROM_infos_20nov19.PNG

Apparently the UBU ‘Replace’ job does seem done, but in fact it was not as reported via ASUS BIOS menu ‘Intel RST RAID Driver’ information and as reported also via SIV64 Tool:

UBU17611_7_20nov19.PNG

UBU17611_8_20nov19.PNG

SIV64_20nov19.PNG

Please have a look to confirm if UBU does correctly the OROM update or not ?

Do I am confusing with BIOS EFI ROM ‘driver’ ?
How to be sure the two Intel BIOS ROM updates were effective ?
I do use two SATA RAID0 configurations handled by the ‘Premium’ Intel SATA Controller.
Thanks

@100PIER

If in the "Main Menu", after the replacement, you see the necessary versions, then the replacement was successful and the files you need are in the BIOS file.

I see that the OROM files are replaced, and the EFI remains unchanged.
So, after flashing such a BIOS file, you should have:
- CSM (Legacy) Mode - v17
- UEFI Mode - v14

Thanks @SoniX , @Fernando

With which software Tool can I check the modded BIOS does contain the “BIOS ROM” version and they are both effectively at v17 ?

I am confused because SIV64 tool does display: ‘BIOS Option ROM version’ v14.8.0.2377.

I am also confused because I have backflashed this modded BIOS v4101 and the ASUS ‘Advanced’ BIOS sub-menu ‘Intel RST’ does display: ''Intel RST 14.8.0.2377 RAID Driver".
What does exactly mean ?
Is it a pure “EFI RAID driver” version information or is it a pure “BIOS ROM” version information ?

Nota: Intel Premium Controller does handle RAID0 volumes with v17.2.12.1035 driver:

RSTe_Premium_Driver_21nov19.PNG

@100PIER

Do you have BIOS in what mode, UEFI or CSM?

If BIOS is in full UEFI mode.
EFI RST driver is not updated from version 14 to 17. Therefore, in BIOS, you see version 14.

When a RAID is formed, it is usually prescribed with the help of what it was created.