[Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions/Reports/Suggestions

@kevindd992002 @Lost_N_BIOS
What has your recent discussion to do with the topic of this thread and what means the topic title "RE: reply"?

@Fernando

That BIOS was modded by the UBU tool and I’m asking if it’s safe to flash it on the ITX board that I have. How is that not on-topic? That is totally related to the UBU tool because it was used to mod the BIOS.

As for the topic title, I just made that up because it wouldn’t let me post my reply without a title. So please ignore that, that’s a very small issue here.

Any intervention in BIOS is a risk.
I give only tools that simplify some replacement procedures.
The partial solution is up to the user.

I totally understand that. But having others with experience take a look at the modded BIOS makes it more worry-free, at the very least.

@kevindd992002 :

If you have serious doubts, that the UBU tool has executed a certain task with a certain BIOS correctly, you should ask SoniX to check it (the UBU modded BIOS should be attached or linked). Everything else may make other UBU users insecure regarding the reliability of the UBU tool and is in my eyes unfair to SoniX.

Please explain the relationship between your question and the topic of this thread.

This doesn’t happen, if you simply press the "Reply" button, when you want to refer to a certain post. If you change the title, all later directly replied posts will automaticly get the title you had chosen (unless the author edits the title manually to the source one).

How do i extract those RAW GOP VBT files from bios so that i can have a look at them myself ?

Nvermind, i got them seperat by running Ubu again. I wasn’t thinking clearly.
Compared both raw gop vbt’s , and they have 4 differences already. This is interesting.

If you have serious doubts, that the UBU tool has executed a certain task with a certain BIOS correctly, you should ask SoniX to check it (the UBU modded BIOS should be attached or linked). Everything else may make other UBU users insecure regarding the reliability of the UBU tool and is in my eyes unfair to SoniX.

Please explain the relationship between your question and the topic of this thread.

This doesn’t happen, if you simply press the "Reply" button, when you want to refer to a certain post. If you change the title, all later directly replied posts will automaticly get the title you had chosen (unless the author edits the title manually to the source one).

The modded BIOS is attached to my previous post. @sonix , can you kindly check? I don’t intend to spread insecurity. I’m just not sure because I never used UBU for ITX board BIOS’es. I thought @lost_n_bios is one of the reputable members here? So that’s why I was trusting his judgement. Not sure what’s wrong with that.

That FD thing was a side comment from lost_n_bios that I replied to. It was on the same post as the UBU question so in my eyes that was ok. If not, then no worries because I can totally create a new topic for that.

It happened and I don’t know how to explain it. I was on my mobile phone when it happened so I don’t know what caused it. Let’s move forward from that though because I edited that topic title since yesterday. No point of discussing it further.

@Fernando - I don’t know, I just reply, unsure how the title says “Reply” maybe a bug?
I know I didn’t waste my time to change it, but if it bugs you please feel free to edit it to whatever you want, I don’t mind at all and I’m sure kevindd992002 doesn’t either

@kevindd992002 - No, FD unlock is not dangerous if done correctly, please visit the Intel ME section of the forum to see how to unlock FD, there is a sticky.
BIOS Looks OK as far as I can tell, no immediately noticeable issue - But, I don’t see anything updated vs stock BIOS, except the microcode (GOP/PXE = same/same stock), I think you uploaded wrong file at post 440?

@kevindd992002 :
Thanks for your reply, although I do not agree with parts of your statement.

Neither SoniX nor Lost_N_BIOS have the required time to do on-demand checks of BIOSes, which have been modified by using the UBU tool, unless there is a specific reason for it. The desire of the UBU user to get as much security as possible before the modded BIOS will be flashed, is understandable, but unrealistic and not accomplishable.
If you were unsure, whether the usage of the UBU tool is safe for a BIOS, which has been designed for a mainboard with a specific form factor (here: ITX), you should have asked SoniX this question. As I have already written earlier, a modded BIOS should only be attached within this thread on SoniX’s request or in case of serious doubts on the proper function of the UBU tool.
UBU tool users, who are unsure regarding the result of their BIOS modification and anxious to flash it without any additional check by an expert, can try to get an evaluation by any BIOS Guru, but such requests should be posted either via PM or within the Forum, but outside the UBU Discussion thread. This thread has been designed for discussions between the UBU users and the UBU maker and its volume grows enough by the big amount of on-topic posts.

No, as kevindd992002 aready has written, it was him, who gave >this< post the related title while using his mobile phone.
All later posted contributions - written after having pressed the "reply" button at the bottom of the latest post - got the same title automaticly. Some of these "RE: reply" titles were already renamed by me to the original source title.

@kevindd992002

Let’s say that there is no UBU tool. There is only what is available to the ordinary modder.
Please answer such a question. Have you modified the BIOS at all?
If “Yes”, then can you guarantee that your modification is 100% working?
You understand that no one will ever give a 100% guarantee in the iodification of a particular BIOS.

Any self-respecting modder always follows some rules.
1) A backup is always made.
2) Know how to restore BIOS from Backup.
3) The presence of a SPI-programmer is not even discussed.
4) And the most important. It is always asking yourself the question - "Why do I need this modification?"
I’m not even saying that it’s not bad to have at least basic knowledge about the design of modern BIOS.

So think about why you need these modifications and how to restore BIOS in case of an accident.

@GnarZ77

Open BIOS in UEFITool
Find string “as text” ‘$VBT’ or more accurately HEX ‘00F82456425420’ or '00F8…2456425420’

But why do you need it? For the SNB and IVB, I do not have the source BIN and BSF files.

@SoniX

I just copied the files found in ubu folder when running. The need is pure out of curiosity. Pitty there are no source files for SNB-IVB. The files look to hold info about flat pannels (mainly).

@GnarZ77

In these files, GOP VBT, as in OROM VBIOS contains settings for correct operation - displaying the image on the screen.
If you tried to configure OROM VBIOS, then this is the same, but for GOP Drivers.

Basically, it’s better not to touch these files if the GOP Driver works fine.
But if there are problems in the operation of the GOP Driver, then you need to look at the settings in the GOP VBT.

@SoniX

The only issue i have left is that i have no audio over iGPU HDMI ooutput. This only works when i set my iGPU as first boot device in the uefi.
But since i boot from AMD dGPU i do not get any soundouput from the iGPU, although the iGPU audio device is recognized and listed in device manager. When i boot with iGPU first the HDMI audio of it does work.
That is why i wanted to look into these GOP VBT’s. This is also not a real problem since i have realtek audio and also a corasir headset, so i have audio devices enough that work. I was just trying to find out why the iGPU does not want to give audio when booting from dGPU. I tried opening the raw gop vbt in iBMP but without config file it does not work. No worries really.

@GnarZ77

I looked through all the archives after recovery. Unfortunately, I do not have the original GOP VBT and BSF for SNB/IVB. Sorry I can’t help you.

At one time, we found these files in driver installation packages. Intel then made such a leak. It is possible that someone has such a collection.

I found some files for HSW/BDW

@SoniX

With X299 bios (LGA2066) and last UBU version, I have microcode for the LGA3647 and other platforms, it’s normal ?

Capture.PNG

Thanks

@tistou77

50656 and 50657? Yes, that’s fine.But if you do not need these microcodes, then turn them off (50656 …-> #50656 …, etc) in the list.

@SoniX

Yes, 50656 and 50657 (LGA3647) and too 906E9 and 506E8 (LGA1151)

I find it odd to have in the list of bios LGA2066, microcodes that are for another platform

Capture.JPG

Hi, little problem (404) accessing Sonix’s cloud page this morning…