[Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions/Reports/Suggestions

@tistou77 :
The UBU tool can only detect BIOS modules, which are physically present within the BIOS. If the specific mainboard BIOS doesn’t contain specific Intel RAID modules, the UBU tool will not show them within the “Current version” list.
Since SoniX’s tool is an Updater and cannot insert natively not present modules, it doesn’t make any sense to put any BIOS modules into the RSTe_VROC subfolder, which are not present within the source BIOS.

@Fernando Yes that’s what I said, UBU offers modules for all types of bios, but only indicates those present in the bios
In my case, I don’t have OROM modules and DevID 2827 (only 2826 / VROC)

So I’m using the latest UEFI Bios Updater UBU v1.77.0 and trying to update the micorcodes of the latest BIOS for x99 ASUS Rampage Extreme V5 and incorporating the MMTool.exe from the UEFI Bios Updater folder 5.2.0.24 as per instructions for updating x99 Bios with this software.

1.PNG

2.PNG

So according to the instructions I’m following, there should be an option to ‘Create FFS with Microcodes’ but this version of UBU does not give me that option to update my 4 missing microcodes.
What can I do?
Any assistance is much appreciated.

EDIT by Fernando: To save space I have removed the fully quoted post and shrinked the size of the inserted screenshots (can be enlarged by clicking onto them)

@Raddles If it’s just to update, you can use the F option, then after that it’s the R option (from memory)

Thanks @tistou77 . This solved my problem. I suspected to do this but was not 100% confident. I have now updated all microcodes.

Here is an interesting piece which explains why OEMs have to use 2 BIOS images into one SPI chip for AMD motherboards these days and what the problems & trade-offs are:

The most interesting thing seems to be that most AMD Zen CPUs do not support (addressing) larger than 16MB SPI chips. Supporting many CPU generations and models means adding code for various AGESA versions, GOP firmware, microcodes etc which cannot possibly fit in 16MB but can in 32MB. So, apart from boards which shipped with 16MB chips and cannot be compatible with newer stuff, for the rest it is a matter of choosing what to remove (old cpus, graphical interface, less used BIOS features etc).

I am confusing, i don’t know much of this amd bios, always navigate in intel, agesa is a module then control hardware integrated in cpu, true?
why in this page he update agesa only with ubu and choose microcode section?
https://www.overclock.net/forum/27927992-post1211.html
thanks in advance for your good work!

@pipes80

Hi
1usmus’s title it is an misleading one, read >this< from @gupsterg he knows what he is talking about. As you can see on the video @ 17:17min AGESA is a package of different modules. See SS took from Gamers Nexus video:

AGESA.jpg

@plutomaniac ; @SoniX and @Lost_N_BIOS
Will be a lot of guys coming for modding BIOSES , meanwhile I found >this< on that thread, I do not know if you guys are aware, but I think that PSPTool together with SMUPNET can be very useful for future UBU development on replacing modules. (Suggestion!?)

@aGeoM

In UBU, the devil already knows what’s going on. %)) I think it’s better to make it a separate tool, similar to MCE. This is the best option.

UBU v1.78.0 b1

- Display all double EFI files.
- Replacing all double EFI files. So far, only AMD RAIDXpert2.

PS I have not yet verified the replacement result for one copy of BIOS 16+16 and the whole 32MB
If someone makes a comparison, then let me know.
Tnx

Edit:

File removed

@SoniX :
This UBU version seems to be fine regarding the update of the AMD RAIDXpert2 modules. I just have tested it with the DUMP of the ASRock X570 Pro4 BIOS Region.
Here are the screenshots of the UBU v1.78.0_b1 Main Menu before (left) and after (right) the update:

UBU_v1.78.0_b1-MainMenu-Start.png

UBU_v1.78.0_b1-MainMenu-End.png

Just for comparison purposes, here are the screenshots I got with UBU v1.77.1_b1:

UBU_v1.77.1_b1-MainMenu-Start.png

UBU_v1.77.1_b1-MainMenu-End.png

can work update microcode manually?

@SoniX @Lost_N_BIOS @Fernando @aGeoM

AMD Reverses Course, Will Enable Zen 3 and Ryzen 4000 Support on B450 and X470 Motherboards
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-re…70-motherboards

Looks like AMD will look after the “enthusiast community”…so a little bright news for UBU fans!

@SoniX

UBU 1.78.0.b1.jpg

Edit:
@pipes80
Yes you can, but you can also use UBU latest.

@hancor
Good news from AMD to B450 and X470 users, but proof of purchase of a Zen3 cpu!?

For contrast and comparison the Asus Zenith Extreme has a BIOS 128Mb ROM according to their website:

128 Mb Flash ROM, UEFI AMI BIOS, PnP, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 3.0, ACPI 6.1, Multi-language BIOS, etc., etc.,…
Thus 128MB / 16MB per bios, yields 8 bioses …!
Or more correctly 128Mb /8 yields one 16MB Bios

Here is UBU 1_78_0b1 in action on the ZE.CAP file:
RAID module only:

Asus_ZE_EFI_ROM_RAIDonly.png

Full EFI_ROM mods:

Asus_ZE_EFI_ROM_all.png

in my tuf x570 gaming plus, read two realtek network efi driver 2.048, update to 2.053 and only update one, tehre are another orom module unrecognized and with manual search is finded like realtek rtegpxe.
My board has only one realteck gbe lan

Annotazione 2020-05-19 194743.png

The X570 boards and the MAX versions (B450/X470) from MSI have 2 parts in the BIOS package, one for Zen/Zen+ CPUs an another for Zen2 CPUs, so what you are viewing is the same realteck gbe lan for the 2 system parts (Zen/Zen+ plus Zen2) of the BIOS.

People, I wrote that the replacement of double files was done only by AMD RAID Xpert2.
You must first check on one module before connecting others.

@aGeoM

Send a file or link. I will see why AMD RAID Xpert2 files were not replaced.

@SoniX

They were replaced, for the last working Raid Xpert2 the 9.2.0.00138 (On my SS you will see that they are green meaning they were replaced). Thanks any way.

Changes on the way it seems…AMD Backpedals, Zen 3 Support Coming to B450 and X470