[Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions/Reports/Suggestions

@aGeoM

Ah, but just because a solution doesn’t appear today; it may be that a solution will be found in the future.
Perhaps we haven’t considered all the dependencies as Fernando had mentioned before.

Cheers

Hmm… If you read the HTML document, then 9.3 for these HP models:
> HARDWARE PRODUCT MODEL(S):
> HP EliteDesk 705 G5 SFF
HP EliteDesk 705 G5 DM
, and their logic is - AMD Pro 560

Aded:
By the way, very often they sent OROM AMD VBIOS from HP. I did not add them to the UBU, since they did not work.

The X570 have PCIe 4.0 and even so 9.3.0-00120 does not show in BIOS/UEFI, my sense tell’s me that the problem is related to the second module rcadm.efi present in download pack for 9.3.0-00120.

@SoniX is this fixed with the latest UBU Tool?
Can I update the RAID firmware on my MSI X570 board and have zero issues?

Use v9.2.0-00138 no problem

@SoniX @KedarWolf

Yes for sure now! I almost made a giant several thousand dollar paper weight; but you are good to go now.
See post #995 above for the GOOD RESULT.

Also allows one to override Windows 10 preview build 19041.264 and will install the 9.3.0.120 drivers, used to be temperamental.

Cheers

@hancor - get programmer and SOIC8 clip + U Type Flat IC extractor, then nothing is ever paper weight again… Unless you release the magic smoke

@Lost_N_BIOS @Fernando @SoniX

It’s funny you mention that…I actually took some preventive action and bought a CH341A-based programmer to flash SPI EEPROM just in case.
I emailed the manufacturer of the CH341A programmer and they said sorry your SPI chip on the motherboard is NOT SUPPORTED! Well at least I spent $20.00 so I could sleep with a false sense of security…ha ha.
The flashrom program hadn’t validated my SPI chip on the motherboard either as per my writelog.txt at post #995
There is measured reasonable risk, then there is outright stupid risk, and every once in a while you come straight up horseshoes and polish your HALO!
Then again if no one ever risked anything, no one would ever learn anything.

Reminded me of my wife’s choir director, some years back, who had a thick Swiss accent and enunciated in perfect english: "You must observe the beatings!"
I’m pretty sure that’s not what she signed up for…nor did I, but we managed to calm down after the gales of laughter.

Okay, now that is the end of the “BIOS BEATINGS” lesson plan, as I didn’t really want to explain to my wife why I had lost 20 years of family photos on the RAID0 array.
Well of course we all KNOW that would likely end badly…

@hancor - $20? Should be $3 for cheap, slow shipped programmer +$3 for cheap SOIC8 clip (or $15-18 for good one). What programmer did you get? And what is your BIOS chip ID that they said was not supported?
Ahh, I see in your PDF GD25LQ128C/GD25LQ128D, please read the chip so we can confirm which chip it is

GD25LQ128 is supported by flashrom, maybe you need to recompile new build, or wait until you have programmer in hand and then you can use one of the pre-compiled windows versions
https://flashrom.org/Supported_hardware

I see user here using CH341A and flashrom for this chip, so should be OK, if not then you will be able to use normal CH341A software (1.34 for this chip) or ASProgrammer etc (if you purchased CH341A programmer)
https://wheresmykeyboard.com/2020/03/mot…d-reflash-bios/

Hahahahahahaha “You must observe the beatings!”

@Lost_N_BIOS @SoniX @Fernando

I haven’t chased down the exact chip version, as I’ve got the beast on a water cooling loop which obscures getting my magnifying glass to read the chip numbers. I’ll be doing a fiber optic network upgrade with the Mellanox 10Gb ethernet part #MCX312C-XCCT, so I will be opening up the case anyway, to do some more bios “spelunking”.

In the meantime, I’ve noticed that flashrom v1.2 is available, and may have wider testing with the plethora of chips out there.
https://www.flashrom.org/Flashrom/1.2
I noticed that the new version supports the following:
New chips: MX25U25635F, MX25L51245G, GD25Q256D, M95M02-A125, N25Q/MT25Q variants, W25Q128JW_DTR, AT25SF321, S25FL512S
which is the new 256Gb version and thus supports 32MB bios chips which going forward may be an issue as Fernando and Sonix have duly noted.

That may however, may be a topic for those more nuanced in advanced bios “spelunking”!

Cheers

@hancor :
This thread is about how to update certain BIOS modules by using the UBU tool, but not about how to get such modded BIOS properly flashed.
>This< would be the appropriate thread for a discussion about the Flashrom tool.

@Fernando

To be sure the conversation drifted somewhat, but I’m sure you’d acknowledge that there is some interplay between the modding of a bios via the UBU Tool thread and the identification of specific EFI ROM modules which make that a successful adventure. There is necessarily going to be some granular overlap…

Cheers

@aGeoM :

Today I have done it and can confirm, that the RAIDXpert2 Utility v9.3.0.120 is accessable on my X570 system.
After having flashed the UBU v1.78.0 modded BIOS, where the 2 RAIDXpert2 BIOS modules were updated from v9.2.0.127 to v9.3.0.120, I entered the BIOS and set the SATA and the NVMe Controller to "RAID".
After having stored these settings and rebooted into the BIOS I got access to the AMD RAIDXpert2 Utility v9.3.0.120. Here are the related pictures:

Until now I haven’t created an AMD NVMe RAID array, but maybe I will try it in the near future by using 2x250GB Samsung 960 EVO SSDs.

Pic1.png

Pic2.png

Just rename new .efi to what UBUtool need master @tistou77.

EDIT by Fernando: To save space, I have replaced the Desktop Screenshot by directly attached much smaller pictures (can be enlarged by clicking onto them)

@Santa2017 - If you want, that a specific person (here: tistou77) gets notified about your contribution, you should directly address your post by setting an @ in front of his/her name.

Sorry @Fernando ldo I apologized for my mistake.

@Santa2017 I did not understand to rename
I don’t see a difference on your screen :slight_smile:

Hi
Can you disable SATA Raid and check if AMD RAIDXpert2 Utility shows? Thanks.

@aGeoM :
That would not work. According to the AMD Manual the SATA Controller has to be set to "RAID" as first step. Otherwise the RAIDXpert2 Utility would not be visible within the related BIOS section.
It seems to be rather similar to the creation of an Intel NVMe RAID systems. Precondition for the availability of the Rapid Storage Technology Utility is, that the Intel SATA Controller is running in RAID mode.

For SATA RAID system, I have NVMe Raid, no SATA drives ATM and SATA Raid disable in fact I have SATA controller disabled.

And the RAIDXpert2 Utility is still available within the BIOS?