[Discussion] UBU Tool related Questions/Reports/Suggestions

@MDM :
Gotcha, I went ahead and deleted the .exe but kept the updated DB and this is what I get when I go to the microcode section*:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “mce.py”, line 21, in <module>
import colorama
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'colorama’

EDIT: If I check for update MCE/DB after this, endless cycle :smiley:
I do NOT get the “Need Python 3.7 or higher” error.

EDIT2: well, I actually downloaded a fresh copy of both MCE/DB and UBU latest so I was working with fresh files/directorys

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing to the author (to save space within this very often joined thread)

Hi Net 7,

Install Python 3.8 and call the CMD.
Enter the following commands;

pip install colorama
pip install PTable

It should be!

@Net7 :
Im using the version from python site, but the trick You mentioned here did it for me. Thank You :wink:

@RoadrunnerDB :
I’ve removed the exe version of MCE and did everything You described. I’ve installed colorama before but did not have PTable, but still getting “Need 3.7 Python or higher” message.
Also, I just removed Python 3.8.5 and installed 3.7.8 and I keep getting the same error…

EDIT: I’ve tried the Store version of Python and it worked but i keep getting those errors: File “mce.py”, line 959, in <module>
mce_hdr(title)
File “mce.py”, line 897, in mce_hdr
hdr_pt,hdr_pt_empty = mc_table([], False, 1)
File “mce.py”, line 862, in mc_table
pt.set_style(prettytable.UNICODE_LINES)
AttributeError: module ‘prettytable’ has no attribute 'UNICODE_LINES’

EDIT by Fernando: Natively separate posts merged and fully quoted text replaced by directly addressing to the related author (to save space and for better/faster access to this thread)

Install Python 3.8

pip3 install pltable

I used latest UBU v1_79_5 and wanted to add/replace other CPU-microcode with the option user-mcode. I placed the microcode-file, which contains only 1 code and has .bin-ending in the folder \UBU_v1_79_5\Files\intel\mCode\USR_mCode, executed the GenUSRmC.bat and started ubu.bat.

But it told me "nothing found" when choosing option "U". File USR_mCode was generated. What is the problem?

OROM VBIOS Kabini - 015.033.000.004.046101 date_02/03/15
OROM VBIOS Weston Pro - 015.049.000.019.053941 date_12/18/19 (+old versions)

…and some unknown VBIOS

VBIOS_pack.rar (72.6 KB)

This tool rocks, but I have issues,
Modding original bios file works OK, without problems, but modding the dumped bios from intel flash programming tool or saved bios from AFUwin will give CRC check fail messages all the time,
I already unlocked my bios, but is it OK to flash when these messages are show, here is just an example

Annotation 2020-08-08 143406.png

Network
[Current version]
OROM Intel Boot Agent CL - 0.1.16
EFI Lx Killer Undi - 1.1.0.9
OROM QCM-Atheros PXE - 1.0.0.8a
OROM QCM-Atheros PXE - 1.0.0.8b

[Available version]
-\ for i82579/i217/i218/i219 chips
OROM Intel Boot Agent CL - 0.1.16
-\ for i210/i211/i350 chips
OROM Intel Boot Agent GE - 1.5.88

EFI Lx Killer Undi - 1.1.0.13
OROM QCM-Atheros PXE - 2.1.1.5

1 - Replace Intel
3 - Replace Lx Network Killer
S - Share files
0 - Exit to Main Menu
Choice:3
EFI Lx Killer GUID 12BE9DC4-A862-43F4-B2C4-4BA1DCEDA203
parseFile: invalid header checksum 68h, should be 99h
parseFile: invalid data checksum 31h, should be 55h
parseFile: unknown file type 51h
parseVolume: unaligned file FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-E407-08050F000033
parseFile: non-empty pad-file contents will be destroyed after volume modifications
File replaced
Set Device ID 0xE0B1
OROM in GUID 365C62BA-05EF-4B2E-A7F7-92C1781AF4F9
OROM VenID 0x1969 DevIO 0xE0B1 - Found
OROM replaced
parseFile: invalid header checksum 68h, should be 99h
parseFile: invalid data checksum 31h, should be 55h
parseFile: unknown file type 51h
parseVolume: unaligned file FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-E407-08050F000033
parseFile: non-empty pad-file contents will be destroyed after volume modifications
File replaced

EFI Lx Killer Undi - 1.1.0.13
OROM QCM-Atheros PXE - 1.0.0.8a
OROM QCM-Atheros PXE - 2.1.1.5
Press any key to continue . . .

EDIT 1:
Another issue with Microcode replacement,
Update form internet will not work, will start an endless loop with file not found message
but I always these messages
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “mce.py”, line 1017, in <module>
mce_hdr(mce_title)
File “mce.py”, line 897, in mce_hdr
hdr_pt,hdr_pt_empty = mc_table([], False, 1)
File “mce.py”, line 862, in mc_table
pt.set_style(prettytable.UNICODE_LINES)
AttributeError: module ‘prettytable’ has no attribute ‘UNICODE_LINES’
These microcodes are in your BIOS file
GUID 17088572-377F-44EF-8F4E-B09FFF46A070

EDIT 2:
OK, found it, I deleted the first 2MB from the bios so it is exactly the same size as the dumped and it worked, gonna flash now, if I didn’t reply then I bricked my Laptop :smiley:

EDIT 3:
Warning: I am en expert, I did not just deleted first 2MB, I did comparisons, and I know what I am doing, the only reason I would brick my laptop is because the newer EFI drivers and OROM can not boot my laptop, not because of wrong files, SO don’t copy what I did !!!

EDIT by Fernando: Size of the natively 3 posts shrinked by merging them, deleting unneeded blank lines and putting the UBU messages into spoilers

Bios locked before flashing, And I was a little bit busy that made me wait although I think I am 100% safe to go, except if my hardware are not supported bu the new EFI drivers,

Anyhow, if someone can look into my files, I will flash them tomorrow morning as tonight I will be busy, here are my files.
Original bios https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/nb/E1815IMS.312.zip
The file I made to mode by deleting the first 2MB (Me region) the will be named Original.bin
The modded bios to flash will be named mod_original.bin
I think I am good to go, but an another opinion from an expert would be appreciated,
Pictures of UBU tools before and after modding, this tool is awesome

Annotation 2020-08-08 215306.png

I always brick my devices by updating bios/firmware I don’t know why I still do that

Bios mode.rar (5.19 MB)

Hi, @sideskroll

Here’s some quick method if you haven’t done it yet.

Easy method
1. Download some old versions like UBU_v1_69_17_3 to downgrade microcode to version 7.
2. Change core ratio to max in BIOS

UBU v1.79.5 method
1. Copy "cpu000306C3_plat32_ver00000007_date21-01-2013.bin" to "UBU_v1_79_5\Files\intel\mCode\1150"
2. Open MCUpdate.txt and then insert older microcode and comment out the newer microcode like below

1. Replace microcode with UBU
    4. Change core ratio to max in BIOS (You might need additional bios modding if your BIOS doesn’t allow you to changing ratios)

Let me know if you encounter any problem or you’d rather want me to do it for you. I have managed to downgrade microcode on Z87, Z97 mobos and tested them with NON-K/Haswell refresh CPUs.

@ALL
    I have a few questions about v1.79.5

1. This is about USR_mCode feature.

So i copied microcode file to USR_mCode then executed GenUSRmC.bat. It generated Usr_mCode.txt. Content looks OK. But when i press "U - Find and Replace from USR_mCode.txt" . It says "Nothing found - Press any key to continue". What am i doing wrong?

2. Search for available microcode in DB

When i check available microcodes by using "S" and entering "00306c3"

It shows all microcodes for that CPUID. There is a modded microcode such as this.

CPUID │ PLATFORM │ VERSION │ YYYYMMDD │ SIZE │ MODDED │ NOTES
    000306C3 │ 00000032 │ 00000099 │ 20130121 │ 00004000 │ 1 │ Non-K OC

I assume this is just version number changed to 99 from 07 to avoid Windows pushing newer microcode. But i am still curious. How to download these microcodes? I looked around MCE github and found nothing.

Thank you!

@NeverMore

Here

Here

What about this one?

000306C3 │ 00000032 │ 00000099 │ 20130121 │ 00004000 │ 1 │ Non-K OC

Thank you

I have put 2 videos on render, I wont be able even to restart my laptop for at least 10 hours, I hope an expert can give me an advise,
I have flashed vbios on my nvidia card, although I was 100% sure but it didn’t work, lucky I could restore the old bios,
Reflashing Laptop bios is hard thing to do, I am preparing my self for a failure

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted own post and unneeded blank lines removed (to save space)

No reply, OK I am gonna flash now, wish me luck, if I didn’t reply anytime soon that means I bricked my laptop!

My motivation:
First 128kb EC firmware has not been changed, the most critical part to boot.
I checked the the tables on the modded bios I made, and it identical with the original bios, just changes of the addresses and sizes, which is also mentioned in the table.
the modded bios I made has the same IRQ, DMA, all devices as the original bios.

My worries:
In the first bios released by MSI killer orom was 2.1.1.5 but in the newer bios release it was downgraded to 1.0.0.8. I upgraded again to 2.1.1.5 hopefully nothing will go wrong.
The dumped bios by Intel programming tool can’t be modded without CRC check errors, that what made me hesitate, it should be the same as original downloaded bios.
Updating the CPU microcode was done ok but the UBU tool change the sorting in the table, I don’t why, but I think this should be OK.
I did lots ok checks everything was fine, but still, when I was almost sure about the Nvidia vbios I was wrong.

Wish me luck

@NeverMore I do not have the modified version of cpu306C3_plat32_ver00000007_2013-01-21_PRD_4F685CCF.bin and posting it here could lead to a DMCA takedown request so I am not going to pursue it, sorry.

@NeverMore

For the modified microcode, you can download the latest BIOS (3.9) for the H87-G41 PC Mate mainboard from the MSI website.
Just drag that BIOS on the MCExtractor executable and you will get the microcode.

Can someone with admin and his contact info help out SoniX?

"
I can’t get to the forum.
Problems with reCAPTCHA.
"

According to his MEGA upload of the latest version.

I have disabled the reCAPTCHA when logging in so that SoniX can come back but I am certain there is no problem with it. Everyone has been able to login for days just fine.

@SoniX Are you sure you’ve understood how it works? If it finds the user actions before logging in "suspicious", it shows 16 images and tells the user to select the ones that match a given description (traffic lights, cars, hills etc). It can then dynamically change a few of them and the user must click the ones that match a second time. Afterwards, it succeeds.

Not a stranger to reCAPTCHA issues, I always used to have issues with 3 things:

Browser’s and/or extensions
VPN
Proxy’s

Cant say I know which of these is his issue, but seeing as his location, he might have circumstances that cause him to need to do something which trips it up.
Hope he figures it out as reCAPTCHA does provide some protection.

Hooray! I went to the forum. :)))

@Net7 @plutomaniac

Thank you very much!

I don’t know what happened. At some point, a message appeared that many requests were coming from me. After that, there was a logout and I could not log in anymore. The system started asking for confirmation that “I am not a robot” (Captcha).
My eyesight is not very good and the pictures are hard to look at.
I could ask for help with the cards.
But! When we clicked on the necessary pictures, then after selecting 2-3 pictures, the selected cards were discarded. And so many times on different browsers.

I could only hope that someone would interfere with the system or the system would take pity on me.

Ok.

MCE and Python.
I understand that a lot of people are having problems using Python. But this is a necessary measure, since many antiviruses give a false message that MCE.exe contains a virus. Therefore, it was decided to abandon the EXE file in the UBU.
On the one hand, there are pluses, but as we can see, there are also minuses.
I added 2 files:
- MCE.txt a simple guide.
- MCE_upd.bat checking and updating the MCE without starting the UBU. Updates the MCE.py and/or MCE.db.

I already informed earlier that if you do not want to install and use Python, then you can continue to use MCE.exe. But you will have to download and update this file yourself from GitHub.

Using a folder "Files\Intel\mCode\USR_mCode"

I have updated the readme in this folder.
It is important to know that if you want to use your list of microcode, it is mainly the format in the microcode file name. The file name format should be as accepted in MCE.
Other formats will not be valid.

I also added microcode 306C3 - 07 for HSB non-K.
If you want to implement it, then just edit the list MCUpdate.txt, section # LGA1150