Do Intel mobile chipset HM370 share same ME firmware from chipset Z390 ??

Hi to everybody.

Would like to just have a confirmation.
I have seen that the HM370 chipset has same firmware branch as Z390. Was able to check this with the help of a friend that pointed me to use MEInfo. This is what I got from my HM370 based system:

Intel(R) ME code versions:

BIOS Version F.32
MEBx Version 0.0.0.0000
GbE Version Unknown
Vendor ID 8086
PCH Version 10
FW Version 12.0.64.1551 H
Security Version (SVN) 1
LMS Version 2026.14.0.1682
MEI Driver Version 2023.15.0.1249
Wireless Hardware Version 2.1.77
Wireless Driver Version 21.120.0.9

FW Capabilities 0x31119140

Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service - PRESENT/ENABLED
Protect Audio Video Path - PRESENT/ENABLED
Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader - PRESENT/ENABLED
Intel(R) Platform Trust Technology - PRESENT/ENABLED

Re-key needed False
Platform is re-key capable True
TLS Disabled
Last ME reset reason Global system reset
Local FWUpdate Enabled
BIOS Config Lock Enabled
GbE Config Lock Enabled
Host Read Access to ME Enabled
Host Write Access to ME Disabled
Host Read Access to EC Enabled
Host Write Access to EC Enabled
SPI Flash ID 1 207018
SPI Flash ID 2 Unknown
BIOS boot State Post Boot
OEM ID 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000
Capability Licensing Service Enabled
OEM Tag 0x00000000
Slot 1 Board Manufacturer 0x00000000
Slot 2 System Assembler 0x00000000
Slot 3 Reserved 0x00000000
M3 Autotest Disabled
C-link Status Disabled
Independent Firmware Recovery Disabled
EPID Group ID 0x28E9
LSPCON Ports None
5K Ports None
OEM Public Key Hash FPF Not set

Error 57: Failed getting variable "OEM Public Key Hash",
Please make sure you are running on appropriate SKU

OEM Public Key Hash ME Not set
ACM SVN FPF Not set
KM SVN FPF Not set
BSMM SVN FPF Not set
GuC Encryption Key FPF Not set

Error 57: Failed getting variable "GuC Encryption Key",

GuC Encryption Key ME Not set

FPF ME
--- --
Force Boot Guard ACM Not set
Error 57: Failed getting variable "Force Boot Guard ACM Enabled",

Not set
Protect BIOS Environment Not set
Error 57: Failed getting variable "Protect BIOS Environment Enabled",

Not set
CPU Debugging Not set
Error 57: Failed getting variable "CPU Debugging",

Not set
BSP Initialization Not set
Error 57: Failed getting variable "BSP Initialization",

Not set
Measured Boot Not set
Error 57: Failed getting variable "Measured Boot Enabled",

Not set
Verified Boot Not set
Error 57: Failed getting variable "Verified Boot Enabled",

Not set
Key Manifest ID Not set
Error 57: Failed getting variable "Key Manifest ID",

Not set
Enforcement Policy Not set
Error 57: Failed getting variable "Error Enforcement Policy",

Not set
PTT Not set
Error 57: Failed getting variable "Intel(R) PTT Supported",

Not set
PTT Lockout Override Counter Not set
EK Revoke State Not set
PTT RTC Clear Detection FPF Not set

Press any key to continue . . .

As you can see FW Version 12.0.64.1551 H

Are all ME fw all the same in structure? I mean...if I see here that my HM370 chipset has a 12.x H branch fw, can I just flash an update that I know is working on Z390 chipset that has same 12.x H fw?

I have indeed the 12.x H fw that I know works on Z390 chipset based systems that is used to be flashed on all Intel motherboards with Z390 so to fix vulnerabilities.

Do you think I could flash that on my mobile HM370 laptop?

Thank you.

Intel Management Engine:Drivers, Firmware & System Tools => B. About Intel (CS)ME, PMC, PHY & PCHC Firmware Updates

Thanks.

I’m going through that chapter B, and frankly I am not an expert, but I tried my best understanding the differences in ME firmware. But please help me on this.

If I’m correct, the right fw for me should have a structure with no dirt of any extra setting rather than the CODE section from Intel.

I have a 12.x H firmare of about 2.5Mb that is used with success on Intel Z390 chipsets motherboards from Asus.
I have been informed that should be compatible also on other brands, but I’d like to be sure about this, and that’s why I’m asking here.

What I have not understood is if the chipset type is a matter of difference as well, and with this I mean if a 12.x H fw for a Z390 chipset is different from a same 12.x H fw for a HM370 chipset… or if all 12.x H fw compatible motherboards can accept and be flashed with no worry with same fw regardless chipset type or motherboard brand… like for me that I have a HM370 chipset on an HP notebook that uses 12.x H fw, and have a 12.x H fw file that is proven to be successful functional on Z390 chipsets of Asus motherboards.

One thing that I imagine I should investigate (in case of compatibility) is if this 12.x H fw I have for the Z390 chipset on Asus motherboards is pure with only code from Intel, or if it’s also contaminated with extra stuff that could interfere with the HM370 (is this could be the only case at which I should look out).

Please help me on this. Thank you.

There’s an universal way of updating ME firmware described in best possible way in the referenced link and if you look into Asus firmware updates, they use the same tools (FwUpdLcl64.exe). So there’d be normally no need to investigate if a certain manufacturers update could be used on another computer which possibly has a similar ME firmware. Especially if it seems to be outdated already - 12.0.68.1606 is latest, Asus has max. 12.0.64.1551. But if both are PCH-H there’s only one PMC software (Intel PMC CNP PCH-H B Firmware) that seems to fit, so the Asus firmware could work.

Flash latest FW on the ME FW download area, after you merge PMC with it, flash using ME FW Update tool and then it will not matter.
If you need me to make you a compatible ME FW + PMC file, so you can flash with ME FW Update tool, let me know If you want this, please link me to your actual systems BIOS Download page.
You are overthinking this way too much, Hp or Asus does not matter, nor does Z390 or H370 etc, the only thing that matters is that you use the correct files, in the correct manner, with the correct method/tool and it will update itself properly with the system specific info for your model.

[quote="Lost_N_BIOS, post:5, topic:35665"] Flash latest FW on the ME FW download area, after you merge PMC with it, flash using ME FW Update tool and then it will not matter.
If you need me to make you a compatible ME FW + PMC file, so you can flash with ME FW Update tool, let me know If you want this, please link me to your actual systems BIOS Download page.
You are overthinking this way too much, Hp or Asus does not matter, nor does Z390 or H370 etc, the only thing that matters is that you use the correct files, in the correct manner, with the correct method/tool and it will update itself properly with the system specific info for your model.
[/quote]

Hello there!
I have quoted you both as I though maybe could be a good thing to show you the 12.x H fw that I know works with the Asus motherboard using Z390 and that theoretically could work on the HP motherboard using HM370.

This is its description:

- Intel ME Consumer Firmware :
Firmware : 12.0.68.1606 [25/06/2020]
Firmware PMC : 300.2.11.1025 [06/02/2020]

This is the file: https://mega.nz/file/BINhkSzR#EhDzITWNTs...RrvhmgHJZk-Rf_M

Do you think is it already good so to be used on my HP motherboard of which I've got these MEInfo results in op?
Thanks!

Things are very simple. Engine firmware is universal when using FWUpdate tool. You need to pick the one which corresponds to your specific system. It doesn’t matter what other systems have. Follow the instructions at Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools > How to use CSME v12 FWUpdate Tool. Use only the tools and firmware provided in this forum, not elsewhere.

Ok guys, I’ve done it my self following the guide.

Here is what I have generated and place it in comparison with my HP Laptop HM370 original bios (last update, already flashed onto the system) and with the Z390 ME fw I was talking about:

As you can see, the only difference is the “Flash Image Tool” field between but only for the Z390 ME fw. Why is that?

I assume that both mine generated and the Z390 one are compatible, right?

Thank you.

Seems that this other firmware is not official Asus, interestingly enough from a post written 3 days earlier than official ME firmware release date… [link]

There’s obviously a newer version of FITc out there- the version number you’re refering to is the version of the build tool itself. Both ME updates should be compatible, and- since the inofficial Asus version was built with a newer FITc version- I’d be tempted to use this version.

Seems that this other firmware is not official Asus, interestingly enough from a post written 3 days earlier than official ME firmware release date… [link]

There’s obviously a newer version of FITc out there- the version number you’re refering to is the version of the build tool itself. Both ME updates should be compatible, and- since the inofficial Asus version was built with a newer FITc version- I’d be tempted to use this version.

The firmware I have linked up here is exactly that one you linked of. I always use drivers and firmware from that guy for my Asus system. Now that I have an HP Laptop, I asked him for help and he pointed me out that the Z390 fw should work as it looks the same as for my HM370 chipset.

I then came here on this forum for clarification as he is not able to test it before being sure about it.

So as my screenshots just look the same, you say that the ME fw are just compatible? The different FIT version is not something that could compromise something in the system bios?

Thanks.

There’s no warranty in whatever flashing operation. But since the Intel update tool FWUpdLcl64 uses the routines of ME firmware itself and these routines just update the firmware part, but not the configuration, it’s not relevant which configuration data are included in this firmware, and by which version of FIT it was configured.

So my comment about using the version which was created with later FITc- version was misleading- it doesn’t matter.

Just flashed the Z390 ME fw linked up here (same as from your link). Everything just fine!

Checked the vulnerability with the "CSME-Version-Detection-Tool.exe" tool and it says in green "This system is not vulnerable. It has already been patched."

So I think we are good here. My OMEN HP Laptop with HM370 chipset that uses 12.x H ME fw (at lease mine) is compatible with the Z390 12.x H ME fw from Asus.

Thank you all for everything. You have helped me much. Best regards.