Flashing Gigabyte while avoiding "Invalid BIOS image"

After flashing to F7. my motherboard won’t boot.
so I switch to another BIOS.
what should I do now?
is it possible to copy functional bios and replace the failed one?

After I checked Z87X-UD4H Bios version, I realized it starts to support Haswell CPU on F8.
I have Haswell 4th Gen CPU, do you think its the reason caused failed?

I have tried this method, but still not working

Make sure the bios mode is set to single BIOS mode.
Boot off good BIOS (a)
Once in the BIOS flip to dead BIOS (b)
Use Qflash to flash BIOS b.

@zoe934 - You have BIOS switch, good! That method you outlines should work, but maybe in your case you need to leave Dual/Single switch set to dual.
Leave Dual BIOS switch set to dual, but switch main BIOS switch to the working BIOS, boot to BIOS and have USB ready and plugged in with BIOS stock you want to flash, once in BIOS enter Qflash (via F8) and once on the Qflash screen the switch the switch to the BIOS that’s flashed with BIOS incompatible with your CPU.
Then choose the BIOS you want to flash, and flash it, then you are done. So, seems all along, you didn’t use F7 previously, right? Yes, if it does not support your CPU then this would be why it’s not working.

If asked before flash, you want Full or In-tact, not quick/fast etc.

And yes, if you cannot get it going, there is hotkey to flash from one BIOS to the other, but you’ll have to make 100% sure you make the right choice when asked - ie Back to Main or Main to Backup, and PS/2 keyboard is usually needed too. If you cannot get using above method, I will help you with hotkey.
Or, you can do similar to above, but boot to windows with working BIOS, flip the switch to the other BIOS, then use @BIOS to update BIOS to latest one and then tweak that BIOS until it works for you or have someone modify for you etc (I’d never suggest using old BIOS for any reason, especially this old of a BIOS)

Thanks a lot, It fixed!!!
And now I can flash back to F8, I think that’s initial bios version.

BTW, do you use Hackintosh?

@zoe934 - glad to hear you got it all fixed now! If you want me to check for sure which BIOS is compatible with your CPU, please give me the CPU model name and I will check F7-F8-F10 etc
No, I don’t use Hackintosh, but I can make BIOS changes for you if you need something done for that?

Do you now need F8 with fixed MAC ID too? Or, if you want, you can dump GbE with FPT tool I sent you >> FPTw.exe -gbe -d gbe.bin
Send me that, I will edit to put in your MAC ID, then you flash it back >> FPTw.exe -gbe -f gbefix.bin

* Edit - I checked and BIOS F7-F9 all have same versions and CPUID compatibility, at least for CPUID’s and microcodes, so al should work for CPUID’s >> 306C1, 306C2, 306C3
But yes, maybe some CPU do not work properly or fully even if their CPUID is in there, until certain version, I see in CPU compatible list some F7, some F8, and some F9 while all those BIOS are same as far as CPU microcodes go, so there is something else different between them (probably ME FW changes, or something else, not sure)
Anyway, tell me your CPU model and I can check list for you, if you have not already - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-…ort#support-cpu

I have i5-4590, it seems running since BIOS Version F9. because I had i5-4570 which I think was running on F7 or F8.
not quite sure. Do you think I should flash to F9 for better compatibility?
but I haven’t felt any difference yet.

I thought after flashed to F8, the FIX MAC ID is included. Am I running F8 without MAC ID now?
sorry, I don’t have enough knowledge of internet stuff.

Do you know how to check if CFG-Lock is on or off?
because I can’t find this option on my BIOS, heard can only turn it off in the BIOS modifier.
is it possible to add that option in my bios? or have CFG-Lock disable permanently.

Thank you so much for helping me out with lots of effort.

@zoe934 - i5-4590 = 306C3, compatible microcode wise with BIOS I checked, including F7, but QVL list shows it’s only compatible from F9 onward, so F8 may not work for you either and yes I would suggest using F9 or above (I suggest latest beta you can find, whatever that is, check at Tweaktown)
I posted F7 for you at #220 with your MAC ID in there, but that was not compatible with your CPU, looking back at how you recovered yes it should remain in current BIOS now due to how you ended up recovering.
You can confirm by testing Ethernet and see if you can connect, if so yes it’s in there. Or, you can also run this at CMD prompt and see if you see your MAC ID >> IPCONFIG /ALL

CFG Lock is not in this BIOS, at least not settings-wise, and I checked and MSR Ex02 is not locked/set, so should be OK to use on MAC, did you already try?
See, success here - https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/…-4770k-haswell/

My new problem is I cannot flash to the latest BIOS
Just download F11b from Tweaktown.
But it failed, I’m trying to bring it back.

I think the motherboard has issues.
sometimes I have to unplug the hard drive, then connect it back. otherwise, it won’t boot up, not even into the bios.
or my hard drive is dying~lol

Yes. I have installed macOS on this motherboard. but it freezes after wake up from sleep.
I thought it might be a motherboard issue.

@zoe934 - Yes, that sounds like a dying hard drive issue. Wake from Sleep may be driver or some issue with MAC, best to look for that issue and solution on any/all Gigabyte Z87 MAC threads on MAC forums.
It may be a common issue you can’t solve, so you can’t use sleep, or it may be a commonly known issue that you fix with some MAC specific solution

How did you flash F11b, and from what BIOS version? You should be using Qflash only now, unless you are still on F8, for that you need to update to F9 first using the EFIFlash included with F9, then F10 onward you should be able to Qflash update
Also, once BIOS has flashed and you’ve loaded optimal, you should also always make sure backup gets flashed to match the main BIOS. For that, use PS/2 keyboard and following hotkey combo at startup >> ALT+F10 (= Flash Main to Backup)
If Qflash does not update both BIOS during it’s update (always choose full/intact, and if it updates both you will see it mention updating backup)

I was on F10 and using Q-Flash for F11b. but it shows "invalid Bios image"
then everything else failed.

what should I do if both bios are not bootable?
I have tried to switch between main and backup bios.
but both show this _ white line blink on the upper left screen.

If both BIOS are not booting up.
do I have the option to fix it on my own?

Hi, can you still help me for my both bios are dead

@zoe934 - If it showed Invalid BIOS image when you tried to flash from F10 to F11b, then nothing was flashed. So, how did you flash F11b?
Invalid BIOS image often means you are trying to flash a BIOS not for your motherboard model, especially when the BIOS you are trying to flash is already proven and tested to be OK by others.
So make 100% sure of your motherboard model and revision, and make sure the BIOS you are trying to use is for that model.

Yes, you can fix if both BIOS are messed up, but you need CH341A + SOIC8 test clip with cable. Let me know if you need linked examples.

Efiflash 0.85…

Efiflash 0.85.rar (46.9 KB)

Thank you, I ended up getting a new z490 motherboard.
because I don’t have CH341A + SOIC8 test clip with cable.
was trying to bring the motherboard to Gigabyte, but it cost $45 for inception in the U.S.
So decided just upgrade to z490.

@zoe934 - Sorry to hear about the issue with RMA, but great to hear you now have new Z490 system instead
So now, purchase CH341A + SOCI8 test clip using cheapest method, wait for long delivery, once it arrives then you can fix the BIOS and sell the board to get some $$ back

Which Z490 did you get? I’m eyeballing them myself recently too

I will let my friend take the z87 motherboard to Taiwan’s gigabyte
it only costs $10 for repair there.
I think I will still use it if I can bring it alive, haha.

I got an MSI MPG z490 gaming plus.
but I haven’t received 10700 yet.

@zoe934 - Ohh, very nice, yes if they can take to Taiwan then you’ll be all fixed up easily there
I’m still waiting on more CPU models to arrive at Amazon, and waiting for price-gouging to drop a bit too

Download the Retailmenot on Google Chrome, you can get 15% off (this offer ends on 6/30) if purchasing from Newegg.

RetailMeNot Newegg

I am getting $50 off for intel 10700.

@zoe934 - I have to do Amazon, that’s where all my $$ is tied up for stuff like this Unless someone sends me $200 Newegg GC in next4 hours

H! @dsanke ,

Is there a new version already? Efiflash modified v0.85!?