gifted an old SuperMicro X8dal-i need a little bios/driver help

i’m about to migrate my old browser platform to this “new” faster(believe it or not) platform and i needed to check and make sure i’m using the best driver for the chipset and current bios as i’m hoping not to have to make any bios mods…
as i mentioned it’s an X8dal-i mobo in a supermicro hot swap case and i’m planning to run a Raid1 (2 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda)
i believe the chipset is an x55
the AMI bios boots up with Serial ATA AHCI BIOS, Version iSRC 1.25_E.smc0 04082009
in raid mode as: Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM v8.9.1.1002 ICH10R/DO wRAID5

what would be the most appropriate driver to use on this install
thanks so much,

@wim :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
You will find my answer to your question within the start post of >this< thread.
According to my own experiences with Intel RAID systems the Intel RST driver v11.2.0.1006 will be the best choice for you, but if you want to install Win10 you may need to remove the in-box Intel RAID driver from the boot.wim and install.wim and to integrate the desired driver instead (>here< is a guide how to do it).
Don’t forget to update the Intel RAID Option ROM to RST v11.2.0.1527 before you are going to create the Intel RAID array.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

thanks for your reply,
in the past i’ve used dism to modify install images but i’m happy to see there’s a utility with a GUI - i’ll give it a try…

i’m a little confused on the option rom update - never done one - is it the same as a bios mod and i should read “BIOS Modding: Introduction and Preparations” or is a much simpler task with a specific utility (from intel?)
thx/w

@wim :

Yes.
Everything depends on the structure of your mainboard BIOS. If your mainboard BIOS should be an AMI BIOS, the update of the Intel RAID OROM is quite simple by using the AMI MMTool v3.26 (>here< is the related guide).

yes, AMI bios v02.67 legacy
Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller PCI\VEN_8086 DEV_2822

i see that you had to remove the link in your post for AMI MMTool326 -
i searched for this MMTool326 util but i don’t find a download on any sites i would trust and AMI website only has much more modern versions for the UEFI machines - Thanks - got it !!
thanks/w

thanks again, i’ll give it a go…

i think i’ve run into a dead-end… can’t find the bios for my board - i’ve got a support ticket in with SuperMicro and we’ll see how that goes monday or tuesday…
X8DAL-i-o
this is the link for softpedia but doesn’t work for me
https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/BIOS/S…-BIOS-R21.shtml
this is SuperMicro’s link to their archive section for BIOS and FW
https://www.supermicro.com/support/resou…mi.php?vendor=1

are there any utils that will read the active BIOS and save it to a file ?
thanks all

Maybe I’m misunderstanding something, but are you talking about this board?
https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DAL-i.cfm

yes - maybe i should add - all i’m finding is the bios update in a file type “C30”

ok, i forgot to change the C30 extension to ROM and it seems to have opened fine…

@wim :
Yes, the AMI MMTool v3.26 can only open BIOS files with the extension *.ROM.
But renaming the file’s extension doesn’t alter its content (code).