Gigabyte Aorus 17G XB BIOS unlock request

Hello,

I recently purchased a Gigabyte Aorus 17G XB (i7-10875h, RTX 2070 Super Maxq). The laptop is factory locked against undervolting and this machine runs pretty hot with stock settings so looking forward to make some tweakings on TDP limits and V offsets, so officially requesting help here for a modded BIOS.

I have seen in the guide on another post from a user with an Aorus 15G XB that we need ME System Tools but I am uncertain of which version to download since I see that there are 2 options for Intel ME version (14) - see screenshot.

Thanks so much in advance.

Captura de pantalla 2020-09-16 172005.png

Captura de pantalla 2020-09-16 172257.png

Captura de pantalla 2020-09-16 172416.png

@Alatriste - you want the r8 package, for 14.0.20 or newer (you have “hotfix” 30)

First do this, to unlock BIOS Lock and FPRR - Before doing anything here, disable secure boot (or change OS Type to Legacy to disable, if you do not have secure boot enable/disable option), remove any BIOS password, and disable TPM/Encryption if you are using
Then go here, to section 2.2 and make bootable USB with RU program, then read 2.3-2.5, info you need will be below link
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/…-issues.812372/

Please note, this guide shows you how to change variable in “Setup” but you will not be making changes in there, you will make your changes in >> PCHSetup >> GUID >> 4570B7F1-ADE8-4943-8DC3-406472842384
BIOS Lock variable to change from 01 to 00 (if 01) >> 0x17
FPRR variable to change from 01 to 00 (if 01) >> 0x6DD

If you are not familiar with hex, this is how hex works to get to the offsets shown above
0x17 >> Go to line 0x10 and then out to column 07, this = 0x17
0x6DD >> Go down to line 6D0 and then out to column 0D, this = 0x6DD

Once those changes are done and saved, then do below step #1 in spoiler only and send me file, you can confirm the above unlock worked if you want, by doing #2 and if success then all OK

If you have already modified the BIOS in ANY way, you will need to re-flash it back to factory defaults using factory method (NOT FPT)!!!
Additionally, please remove all BIOS passwords, disable secure boot, and disable TPM or Encryption if you have enabled. Do this before moving on to below

If you do not have Intel ME drivers installed, install them now from your system driver download page, then start over here after reboot.
Check your BIOS’ main page and see if ME FW version is shown. If not then > DOWNLOAD HWINFO64 HERE <

Once HWINFO is open, look at the large window on the left side, expand motherboard, and find the ME area.
Inside that section is the ME Firmware version. Take note of the version. (ie. write it down or get a screenshot)

Once you have that, go to the thread linked below, and in the section “C.2” find and download the matching ME System Tools Package for your system.
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
> DOWNLOAD " ME System Tools " packages HERE <

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and then inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder (NOT x64).
Highlight that Win/Win32 folder, then hold shift and press right click. Choose “open command window here” (Not power shell! >> * See Registry file below *).

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

((If “open command window here” does not appear, look for the “Simple Registry Edit” below…))

Step #1

Now you should be at the command prompt.
You are going to BACKUP the factory un-modified firmware, so type the following command:
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin "

>> Attach the saved "biosreg.bin ", placed into a compressed ZIP/RAR file, to your next post!!! <<

Step #2

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error(s).
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin "
^^ This step is important! Don’t forget! ^^

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

Here is a SIMPLE REGISTRY EDIT that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu, instead of Power Shell
Double-click downloaded file to install. Reboot after install may be required
> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD CMD PROMPT REGISTRY ENTRY <

If the windows method above does NOT work for you…
Then you may have to copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a Bootable USB disk and do the dump from DOS
( DOS command: " FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin " )

Thanks for the reply.

I’m stuck in step 1.

When I try to disable secure boot, Windows becomes unbootable and I can’t go further. The only possible way to enable Legacy Mode on my BIOS is by selecting "“Reset/Delete Secure Boot Variables” which then makes the “Legacy” mode visible in the OS Type selector (otherwise, Legacy option won’t even show, there’s only UEFI), but when I do this and delete the secure boot variables and select “Legacy” as the OS Type, like I say the laptop won’t boot - a screen appears asking me to select the correct boot device.

Any ideas?

Sorry, still pretty noob with all this.

@Alatriste - Windows does not matter here, you can put BIOS back once we’re done (or whenever you need to go into windows)
Secure boot only needs disabled so you can do the RU stuff. And yes, Legacy Mode you can use for this too if you want.
Forget about windows, disable secure boot, or boot legacy mode, to RU, make the changes, then boot back to BIOS and enable secure boot again. Then do FPT step#1-2 and if #2 passes, upload file created at #1

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Sorry for the “obvious” questions which I guess they’re not so obvious to me :smiley:

I will try this as soon as possible and let you know, and hopefully send you the biosreg file also.

It’s OK. Main issue here is all these systems vary some, as to what’s in BIOS, so it’s not always same how to do this stuff, and there is a few ways to do it too

Success!

Attached the biosreg.bin file compressed as requested.

Thanks a lot!

Captura de pantalla 2020-09-17 142316.png

biosreg.rar (5.75 MB)

@Alatriste - Thanks, I knew you would get it
Here is your unlocked BIOS, flash back via >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosregm.bin
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…309421377332058

*** WARNING - To ANYONE with laptop and unlocked BIOS!!!
DO NOT try to enable this graphics card or disable that card, switch cards etc. Otherwise you will end up with no display output (ie black screen) and no way to recover except by blind flash or with flash programmer.
You can change graphics related settings, like changing memory sizes, or core speeds etc, just don’t try to disable one card or change which is main etc.

Additionally, be very careful when trying to undervolt CPU, you can leave BIOS unbootable due to CPU voltage too low (Sometimes even 0.05 is too much)

WARNING *** - This BIOS is user specific! If you are not user Alatriste at Win-RAID.com forum, DO NOT USE THIS BIOS!!
If you do, and you are not Alatriste, then you will loose your serial, UUID, OG NVRAM, and possibly LAN MAC ID as well.
You have been warned!!!

Thanks a lot @Lost_N_BIOS !!

Flashed, tested and working!!

I do have one question though, should I now enroll back all Factory Default keys in BIOS? I had to delete them in order to disable secure boot (found that it was the only way to keep UEFI / disabled secure boot). I just want to make sure it is not going to mess anything up on the new BIOS.

Thanks!

@Alatriste - You’re welcome! Thanks for quick test and report back!
You can enroll keys, or reload optimized defaults which may do the same, but either way, this is all OK and will not affect the menu unlock.
You can put all settings back to how you had before now, the changes we made were just so you could flash in the mod BIOS