Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 NVME support

@Lost_N_BIOS AMI Bios on HP does not see NVME. Afudos issues error 46 when trying to make a backup with the “afudos backup.rom /o” command.
I’m thinking of using this computer as a Hackintosh.

Yes, you need BIOS mod probably, if it’s even UEFI BIOS. AFU not used for anything here, except/unless maybe if you wanted to make some backup to keep somewhere safe.
FPT would make backup, if it’s Intel CPU system - Tell me what error you get at step #2

If you have already modified the BIOS in ANY way, you will need to re-flash it back to factory defaults using factory method (NOT FPT)!!!

If you do not have Intel ME drivers installed, install them now from your system driver download page, then start over here after reboot.
Check your BIOS’ main page and see if ME FW version is shown. If not then > DOWNLOAD HWINFO64 HERE <

Once HWINFO is open, look at the large window on the left side, expand motherboard, and find the ME area.
Inside that section is the ME Firmware version. Take note of the version. (ie. write it down or get a screenshot)

Once you have that, go to the thread linked below, and in the section “C.2” find and download the matching ME System Tools Package for your system.
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
> DOWNLOAD " ME System Tools " packages HERE <

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and then inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder (NOT x64).
Highlight that Win/Win32 folder, then hold shift and press right click. Choose “open command window here” (Not power shell! >> * See Registry file below *).

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

((If “open command window here” does not appear, look for the “Simple Registry Edit” below…))

Step #1

Now you should be at the command prompt.
You are going to BACKUP the factory un-modified firmware, so type the following command:
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin "

>> Attach the saved "biosreg.bin ", placed into a compressed ZIP/RAR file, to your next post!!! <<

Step #2

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error(s).
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin "
^^ This step is important! Don’t forget! ^^

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

Here is a SIMPLE REGISTRY EDIT that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu, instead of Power Shell
Double-click downloaded file to install. Reboot after install may be required
> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD CMD PROMPT REGISTRY ENTRY <

If the windows method above does NOT work for you…
Then you may have to copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a Bootable USB disk and do the dump from DOS
( DOS command: " FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin " )

@Lost_N_BIOS Done

IMG_20200620_181552.jpg

Backup and restore.

IMG_20200620_184601.jpg

IMG_20200620_184801.jpg

@Spe11eR - FPT is dangerous if not used properly!! Please ALWAYS Follow exact directions, and only those directions!!!
You got luck there in first image, almost bricked your board, saved by error 280!!

Not sure what you created backup.bin with, probably AFU? Anyway, that file used is not correct size to use FPT with the command given.
And you should only ever flash anything with FPT that you previously backed up with FPT, otherwise you can loose your system details or brick etc.

@Lost_N_BIOS I’ll keep it in mind for the future. I’m waiting for further instructions. =)

I have 8300 Elife SFF, ai got 980Pro and connect to pcie adaptor, have you been able to boot? Could you explain me or pass the modified bios, thanks

When I flash it to my board its half breaked like described in tonymacx86 original thread (I can not post links as newbie). I have recover it from backup rom. But I can not understand why it wont work. I wanna to flash UEFI on it but i afraid to break it at all. Can you advice me please?

@hooddy
Those UEFI bios were not very stable, its the so called hybrid bios, more like a transition bios.
I had many problems with same operation in a GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 with its latest oficial beta bios (UEFI). Didnt break anything and u can say that was stable…but after played with NVMe mod… hell was unleashed and Dual-Bios was no saver at all.
Even so the system was working fine with an NVMe drive… the board was in system to sell… in the same day that the buyer was coming the system went down and i had to recover by PSU ON/OFF POWER SW forced trick.
I flashed again the latest legacy and up he goes, sold!!!
The UEFI beta bios file has to be flashed from an USB with the FLASHEFI.

Ur Z68XP-UD5 latest bios U1A has already the Intel ME 8 and it will be updated from ME 7 of the original legacy F6 bios. After that u can update to the 8.1.70.1590,
and its the higher version supported, not 9 or up, thats not how it works.
Ur choice only, to use it.

@MeatWar thanks for reply. Yes I know about IME v8 in that UEFI (I look into it with UEFI Tool). As well as I do understood its beta and unstable (its described in UEFI threads about some issues). And I flash it with USB stick and FlashEFI. All like in tutorials. Although it was half breaked in the end.
Right now I’m update F6 IME to 8.1.51.1471 with tutorial at tweaktownforum.com (Im still can not publish urls in here. simple repleace IME part in BIOS with Hexeditior). It works well. But I have a question in the end how can I correctly update IME 8.1.51.1471 i already patch BIOS with to 8.1.70.1590 in BIOS (not UEFI)?

U have to get the Intel ME8 package tools here, in point #B1: Intel (Converged Security) Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware and Tools
And use its version of the FWUpdLcl64.exe -f xxxxxxxxxx.bin in a CMD Admin window

@MeatWar ok thank you I’ll try it. And thanks for clarifying about higher IME version.

@MeatWar I’m update IME to 8.1.70.1590 succefuly with FWUpdLcl. Can I use this manual to get ready to flash BIOS? Coz it is no obvious from those article can I use another IME binary than in article or don’t to replace in ROM with Hex editor.
And do I need to “change one byte at offset 0x45 from 0x00 to 0x02” with ROM in the end? Original not changed BIOS have this issue with FITC.

@hooddy
U said that u had already updated to the UEFI bios version in post #29… did U or did u NOT?
The UEFI beta bios file has to be flashed from an USB with the FLASHEFI. NOT Q-FLASH or @BIOS, ONLY USB DOS.
So wot did u done already, wot bios and ME is currently ur system with?

Dont play with this operations and take attention to wot ur doing and all details or ull get a broken system.

The procedure to update the ME FW is AFTER the bios update, NOT before, because the transition from Legacy bios (ME FW 7.1) to the UEFI version, will update the ME FW to 8.x.
Then u can do the update to the 8.1.70.1590, like i posted before.
There is NO hex edit for this procedure for updating the Bios or the ME FW.
The “change one byte at offset 0x45 from 0x00 to 0x02” its NOT necessary for the normal ME FW update, the reported situation in that post is for a different bios mod using FITC to create a new image, u DONT need this.

EDIT: OK, u have chosen ur path for creating a new bios image with clean updated ME FW image, not a wise decision on this type of bios (Hybrid) but its choice,
my advice and tips will not extend to ur new option, good luck.

@MeatWar Yes I am - I update IME from v7 with Hexediting to v8 (coz it wont works with FWUpdLcl and I suppose I need to fix 0x02 byte in stock BIOS to use FWUpdLcl) and flash ROM and next with FWUpdLcl to latest one v8 you point me. But I wanna to have ready to flash standalone ROM with no need to update IME after flash. Just have rom included latest IME. Just in case. And I am wrote about BIOS and not UEFI. I am not ready to flash UEFI til a didn’t get explain from anybody why it break my board last time. So this question isn’t about UEFI.

@MeatWar I successfully create ready to flash bios rom with latest IMEv8 with ME Injector.

@Spe11eR If you flash with the official tool as efiflash,2 bios chips would be flashed automatically.