Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK BIOS upgrade

@Lost_N_BIOS : I do not have a flash programmer but I have a mobo with a double bios. We do not worry about a thing that does not involve any tangible improvement, on the contrary we risk making the motherboard unusable. Okay so we do not risk. The BIOS runs well, the modules and the microcodes are updated, the last thing I have to do is a nice format c: and reinstall the s.o. Now it’s a while I do not do it, about 2 years
Thank you

@Romanetto - Yes, it’s little risk without programmer, but I also agree, not something really worth taking any risk over anyway. If you had a programmer, no worries at all, but since all is well now no point to tinker further for something not necessary
I love clean installs, but hate setting up everything the way I like it again. I now make image backups of my clean installs once all setup how I like, using Macrium Reflect, then any time I want to start clean again I have a good starting base image with most everything installed and setup that I want.

@Lost_N_BIOS I prefer a clean installation than the image because the drivers will need to be reinstalled. The installation is fast but to download and update Windows is really crazy, lots of it. Also because I do not do it often but I arrive a few years with the same, I can keep the win7 64b clean enough.

Do I have to make the BIOS created available to other users, here on the forum?

Drivers, windows updates and everything you install programs etc are properly kept in a full drive image like I’m talking about. It’s basically a cloned copy of the entire drive at the time you create the image, except for a few temp files and recycle bin but you can also make sure those are kept too if you wanted.
No, you don’t have to share any BIOS if you don’t want to, all up to you

@Lost_N_BIOS
Hello,Lost_N_BIOS,sorry for my English,I express my mean as possible as I could
I have the #8 similar problem with UBU_v1.70.rc20 that you writen.1 and when I flash this modified BIOS ,I found device manager->network adapter->I-217V details property added with follow strings:
{3464f7a4-2444-40b1-980a-e0903cb6d912}[10]
{80497100-8c73-48b9-aad9-ce387e19c56e}[6]
{83da6362-97a6-4088-9453-a1923f573b29}[18]
{a8b865dd-2e3d-4094-ad97-e593a70c75d6}[26]
{f0e20f09-d97a-49a9-8046-bb6e22e6bb2e}[2]
{259abffc-50a7-47ce-af08-68c9a7d73366}[13]
{259abffc-50a7-47ce-af08-68c9a7d73366}[14]
{6a3433f4-5626-40e8-a9b9-dbd9ecd2884b}[13]
{6a3433f4-5626-40e8-a9b9-dbd9ecd2884b}[16]
{6a3433f4-5626-40e8-a9b9-dbd9ecd2884b}[4]
{6a3433f4-5626-40e8-a9b9-dbd9ecd2884b}[6]
I try to flash back the original bios ,but it looks no effective.Could you help me for this problem? I just hope flashing back.
Thanks.

Z97XUD3H.10c.zip (5.6 MB)

this is original bios

@thinking - sorry I don’t understand the issue, even when looking back at post #8

Flash back stock 10c in BIOS using Qflash within the BIOS, choose “Full” problem should be resolved.

@Lost_N_BIOS
I mean I update lan rom by using ubu 1.70
in ubu 1.70,i217-v lan sometimes is recogenized as
EFI Intel PRO/1000 UNDI - 5.1.00
OROM Intel Boot Agent GE - 1.5.04

and sometimes it is recogenized as

EFI Intel Gigabit UNDI - 0.0.22
OROM Intel Boot Agent CL - 0.1.13

I flashed both two situation mod bios, so I guess the problem cause by this reason,and also I Flash back original f10c with Qflash but it seems lan rom not be changed
may lan rom should be flashed independent ,but where to find rom of lan i217-v and how to flash it

Could you help me modding this bios on network mould part,and I try it again. Though I think problem should be solved out by flashing network rom at last,These seem to be updated network rom incorrectly

@thinking - I understand now, OK! Yes, you’ll have to ask SoniX about that on the UBU thread, which I see you already did, please wait and he will reply to you about how to fix this or what do to. I would edit in your reply like above to that UBU post you made too, it’s much easier to understand how you wrote it above.

LAN ROM is in the BIOS, make sure you flash “Full” or reflash stock BIOS region using FPT (This will write entire BIOS region you give it, so no way it can fail). Or flash one older BIOS via Qflash and choose full, if you can.

@Lost_N_BIOS
I’m terribly sorry. My English is not good. I will try my best to learn English well.
But where could I get the FPT and how to use it?
Thank you very much.

I’ve tried QFLASH refresh and it seems normal now.

It’s OK, I understood you second time, and first time I only didn’t understand because it’s not something I usually use or update etc so I didn’t recognize the issue.

FPT is Intel Flash Programming Tool, best to not use unless you need it, and sounds like you are fixed now. You can get FPT in the ME System Tools section “C” of this thread, be careful if you use, you can brick your board easy in one click if used incorrectly.
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

@Lost_N_BIOS
Sorry,Because of curiosity,I flashed biosby using fptw64.exe -f Z97X-UD3H.f10b. and now WIN10 activation displays 0xc0000022 by any serial number entered. Does it mean that BIOS has been damaged?
If I want to restore the computer as normal, do I need to use the backup command fptw64.exe -f Z97X-UD3H.f10b from another same motherboard, and then refresh my own computer?

@thinking - I told you not to do that, why did you go ahead?? I almost didn’t link FPT assuming you might, but went ahead so you could read and learn, but I guess you didn’t read anything before using (Since no backup first).
No, there may be no way to restore your original windows activation now. I can put back in your old serial and LAN MAC in a stock BIOS, or a dump from another same board, that might get your windows activation back, if it’s not also tied to UUID,
Before you flash any BIOS you need to make a backup. Do you have any backups? if yes, reflash those using FPT again. Unsure if Qflash or AFU backups contain system details like you need, but I do think universal BIOS backup toolkit backups do, and of course FPT backups do if you made a FPT backup.

@ Lost_N_BIOS
sorry,I… forgot to make a backup.

This Z97X motherboard has dual BIOS. I guess the fptw64e command line affects master bios,and slave BIOS is OK ? But is there a fptw64e command line that backup slave BIOS ?
Could’t I get it back ? IF this method failed,what parameters do I need to provide for you to please modify the BIOS?

@thinking , I forgot about the backup BIOS! You can make it reflash the main BIOS, this will recovery your UUID and serial possibly if you are lucky.
No, FPT only writes to the enabled BIOS at that time, main. Does this board have BIOS switches, or just dual BIOS and you can’t switch from one to the other, or switch from dual to single? If it has switches, just switch to the other BIOS and make a FPT backup, then switch back to main and reflash that backup to main.

PS/2 keyboard is best for this, but if no PS/2 port on that board you can try USB 2.0 keyboard and these hotkeys at boot time, right where you’d normally start pressing Del to enter BIOS. If you get boot menu, reboot and keep trying
Alt+F10 to copy main to backup / Ctrl+F10 to copy backup to main - If I have those backwards it’s OK, let me know and stop it, reboot and do the other way. If you get the “Swap BIOS” screens, reboot and use ALT+F11 or F12 instead, same for if you see screen say “Copying main to backup”
ALT/CTRL + F11 and F12 also have function, but I forget which all is which on UEFI BIOS No matter what, If you get it going, and you see it’s wrong way (ie backup to main) you can immediately shut it off because during that initial process when it first starts it’s only copying the BIOS into memory to perform the operation.
It’s Ok to shut it down real quick if it’s going backwards from what you want. If that happens, do the other way instead.

@Lost_N_BIOS
Thank you again,you are really a nice man.
All problems seems to be solve out now.
First,still sorry for my terrible poor english,I still only understood parts of your’s reply now.
In your article, key combination “Alt+F10” to copy main to backup and another key combination “Ctrl+F10” ,both of two key combinations I think could be apply to from GIGABYTE UEFI BIOS to Z97series(intel 9 series chips) mainboard, after intel 100 series chips they are ineffective.As regards key combination ALT/CTRL + F11 and F12 may should be apply to GIGABYTE legacy BIOS.All these my perceptions may be right?

But this time I used none of these key combinations.I used a interesting program to solved my problem which only could run under DOS system.
This program named DUALEFI that I got it from a member of smxdiy forum who got it from GIGABYTE.
DUALEFI could swap and active main and slave BIOS by command line
dualefi /p #view which BIOS is on now
dualefi /c 1 or dualefi /c 2 #swap main BIOS(c 1) or slave BIOS (c 2)
If you need it,how can I give you?because I am in a country with national firewall,so most of foreign netdisk I can’t use.

From this matter I known both of two GIGABYTE BIOSs are same,like mirror,and in GIGABYTE BIOS there is no serial but has MAC address.

@thinking use any of media communicators, like skype, messenger, facebook messenger, maybe this will work for transfer file of 1 Mb or less if zipped or rared. You can as well delete the extension and send a pure file. You may try to attach file here as an attachment with the trick I mentioned.

Thank you for your proposal,PitKoz.This post is nearly half a year old I have almost forgotten.