GL504GW Bios Mod Gona Bad

Hi , @Lost_N_BIOS

Here are the images
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2hyi1h8a4e…os+(6).zip/file

I mean, i cant just make 8 wire solders on the pads next to chip, and just plug them in the right order in the CH341A programmer slots 1-8?it ill work like it a soic8 clip.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So , when i flashed the other guy mod, it kinda messed with other chip config? it is even possible

On bios 307 bios, asus locked undevolt via windows using Xtu or throttlestop, something related with plundervolt

So the Guy that moded my bios said said:

So there is any change that he messed up with something else , like moded some module that changed something on EC/KBC ?
There is any way to lookup it on his mod?
And, if so, there is any way to change it back?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

The file 2 and 3, they are entire stock from asus? or they have some part of my dump ? i can try flash file 2 or 3 as last attempt before losing my hope and send to asus (ill take eternity to fix it)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried removing the hd ,memory and cmos battery, same results.

I made a dump using CH341A v1.31(1.4) (CH341AFree) and asp 1,41 , i attached it in the post

Ubu says VBIOS in Padding

Man reading this one was easy !

bios.rar (660 KB)

@chadalu - You need wires connected to an adapter, otherwise pointless to connect wires. You cannot have wires connected to nothing like you mentioned, to then plug into programmer, there would be nothing to program.

No, I meant maybe when you changed the XTU setting it changed something on other chip, I am not sure, only thought it may have happened. It’s not about that BIOS, or flashing it, it’s about the settings change you made.
I have ONLY seen issues with XTU when users use both BIOS and XTU software, sometimes if XTU is installed, or some default settings changed before mod BIOS Flashed, this can cause issue. Sometimes changing settings in software later can cause issue etc
So to me, never a good idea to have both, only use one or the other, reset and remove the software if you plan to change XTU stuff in BIOS, or do not use BIOS to change XTU stuff if you make changes in software

HE did not change anything in other chip, only BIOS. Mod BIOS worked fine until you made BIOS setting changes, I thought, correct?

BIOS 2-3 I sent you in that WSON package are 100% stock BIOS region + one has your original ME FW, and other has ME FW I cleaned and updated (using your original ME FW as base) << That may be messed up in both, but usually would only cause loss of ME FW functionality if it was.

What is above dump from, and why? If you’re wanting me to compare to something, tell me what you wrote to chip, so I don’t have to compare one by one against 10 things.
Ohh, I see! This is E4914 SKU 30 (RTX 2070) vBIOS chip dump. Do you see any other SOIC8 chips on the board?
The UBU vBIOS thing is about the onboard Intel vBIOS rom for integrated graphics

If you try to send back to Asus for RMA, be sure that guy cleans BIOS chip area good with alcohol to remove all flux he may have used, and then hopefully they wont noticed the scratched PCB and deny the RMA
Ohh, never mind, I can clearly see the scratched and no repaired (due to solder reflow) traces, and there is large blob of solder out of one corner/contact side of chip. They will immediately notice this if/when they look at board and deny RMA
Not good You will have to get VERY Luck and them send you replacement without opening this up and looking, or opening up to reflash BIOS etc, otherwise they will deny RMA On this. So if you send in, have everyone you know cross their fingers.
Sorry, I would have suggested you did this initially if I knew you was still under warranty. If you can, however, return it to place of purchase for replacement instead, that may go over a lot smoother, if you still have time for that.

@Lost_N_BIOS
On bios 307 there is NO way to change any voltage settings on xtu or throttlestop, the option was locked due the patch to “fix” the plundervolt exploit.
What i was tryng to say, is that the guy who moded the bios tried to bypass this “fix”.
What i asked you to compare, are these 2 dumps, one is the dump that i made using FTP “my original dump” and the other is the moded bios file that i flash using FTP , to see if there is any changes that the guy changed anything related to voltage and bricked my pc!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8dif24vdwz…ompare.rar/file

So to be clear here what i did :

1-I was on 305, i flashed 307 from ezflash bios utility ->Pc was working (at this point i cant change any voltage settings anymore,)

2-I made the dump using FTP 307 (the file i sent to you) → Pc was working

3-i Flashed the moded bios (didnt received any error msg)-> Pc rebooted and never boot up again, I dont have any chances to change any settings ! and at this point the screen was all black, not even showing that fancy Rog logo

4-I asked you for help and we started this thread

5-I never used Xtu and throttlestop together!
Throttlestop has a simple and better UI, so i prefer using it

6-When i flashed the moded bios, i was tryng to solve the NVMe drivers problem, so I’ve made a clean windows install and Throttlestop was not automatic launching on boot or running,
Even it was running, i wont be able too change any voltage settings because of the lock !

Update 1 __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is any changes of using another user Base?

I lookup the entire board, and there is no other Soic8 chip !

I dont have warranty anymore, the notebook made 1 year, Rma is out of option.
Asus just responded my ticket, and there is no support for my notebook in my country

I ill try to flash File 2 and 3 late today !

Update 2 ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There are 2 JDEBUG Pads on the front side of the board, Is there any utility to them? i can buy the socket and make a cable if we can work something out of them.

https://imgur.com/a/Xz8KGkd

Lost_N_Bios, My computer is currently in for repairs (not realated to BIOS :D). I’ll post my FPTW dump as soon as I get it back

@chadalu - Ohh, Ok, thanks for the info. I assumed the mod was a menu unlock! The BIOS worked for a while though right, and then you changed something in BIOS and it bricked, correct? Or, did you flash it in, boot to BIOS once, change nothing, save and exit and it was bricked?
Ohh! So, to confirm, you sent him FPT dump, he modified and you flashed in and it bricked right then? If yes, then it’s a bad mod, and nothing to do with you changing any settings in BIOS. Sorry, I thought you changed something, then it died.

The files you uploaded to mediafire at post #43, I already have these and have compared them in some of my questions or comments to you previously
Did you ask him exactly what he changed? If not, ask him to explain to you, I’ve never seen anyone deal with this, so I don’t know what changes to settings or other mods may be required (ie change to ME FW, changes to BIOS modules, or just BIOS setting change, or what etc)
I kinda need to know some answer from him on that, it’s not easy to blind compare. I can compare some usual modules to see if/what settings have been changed, but other than that it’s MUCH easier if he tells you what he edited so I can find and look vs a blind hunt through 100’s of BIOS modules.
Just looking at three modules, which we usually edit to change BIOS settings and or menu visibility, I see only the following changes >>
#1 unnecessary edit to Setup (adding a name “tag >> 239Mod” so he knows he edited). << Maybe I mentioned this in PM to you already? If not, then I’ve also seen him edit same/similar change to someone else bricked BIOS too, so this may be what’s bricking BIOS he’s edited recently, not sure.
^^ I also see menu renamed item (Overclock Performance Menu changed to Overclock Menu). Additionally this module has been rebased/re-assembled, probably due to rename of menu, but other possible changes may be there too, which I cannot tell, but no actual “settings” changes
#2 - Menu related changes, revealing menu’s and or hiding original menus etc
#3 - Me FW Image Re-Flash enabled, this will disable ME FW, unless/until user disables this setting in BIOS - This also changed in NVRAM
#4 - BIOS Lock Disabled in NVRAM

All files I’ve sent you were either using stock BIOS or your “original” FPT backup, or some have ME FW from your original chip dump, so none of it would have any of his changes
I never mentioned throttlestop and XTU being used together, my comments where about XTU and BIOS changes only.

How is #6 possible, if BIOS bricked right when you flashed it in, and what lock are you talking about, you can change BIOS settings, there is no lock on that?

Debug port may be connected to/same as BIOS connections, you’d have to have that guy check for you, if he knows how/can etc

If I were you, I would have this guy put back on SOIC8 chip again, and check with loupe all solder points are good. Then you can try to fix at home without having to have him keep resoldering chip.

@cowpod - Thanks! I think maybe this wont help, since even direct flash in of other users known working dump didn’t help, but I would still like to look at what I originally tagged you about, so thanks
What happened to your system??

Yes that is right, It died right after the moded bios flash, so i was not able to change any settings.

I ill try to resolder the Soic8 chip, I ill search for other guy in a bigger city next to mine.
Can you make files 2 and 3 compatible with soic8?

I asked asus for a recovery bios file, i dont think they ill help me,but…
if they send me something we can work something out of it

So the JDBUG pad, do you know any model of socket/cable that would fit there?

@chadalu - Ohh OK, thanks for confirming. Yes, tonight I will make you package of all recent BIOS compatible with SOIC8 too, but no rush on this since you can reflash all those at your house anyway once chip in place.
BIOS at post #22 should work for this, and I think it’s the only one that even had your system partially up and running again isn’t it? I’ll redo some of the others too, and get you a few made with alternate ME FW stuff to make sure that is OK as well.
That would be nice if Asus send you a file, it would be similar or same to BIOS at post #22, or more like first one at post #35 actually, since I used near 100% stock BIOS from Asus for one of those.

Sorry, no, I don’t know anything about the debug port/cable etc. Only can say that will just add more mess here, more soldering, and it’s not needed, wont be any help.
If you can get them to explain, which I doubt, maybe you could read/write EC FW from there, but just guessing. BIOS we can do anyway, so it’s not needed at all for that.

ASus denied my request !

Im little busy this weak, i think at friday i ill have the chip soldered in place, and i report you back!

@chadalu - Did you send them the system, or they just denied over email? If over email, why, too late/date, or some other reason?

Denied over email

If i was a US resident would be easier,but to send and receive this notebook via international post will cost me a kidney and i would have bigger problems in brazil customs

Ahh, and just out of warranty, sounds like my luck too They’d probably charge you MUCH more once they seen the re-work done too, or just deny and say the board is damaged etc, and you need to pay to have it sent back etc.
So yeah, that’s not ideal to pay hundreds of dollars for such hassles

Oh, Lost_N_BIOS
This weekend i decided to make a wson reader using 8 needles, and conected direct to programer ports
Something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32959689888.html

Believe me or Not!
i Was able to read the chip , erased it, black checked,
(here comes the nice part)

and when the write starts, my hand sliped a little, and i shorted a neddle leg on eprom ground, (Reader 3 pin on Epron 4 Pin)
The neddle point got red hot, and made a little pun on board/chip lateral
Looks like i almost killed the ground trail (pin 4) but it was a fat trail,i burned like half of it. (check images)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bft9z1lh75owj9v/file

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The trails looks like were not damaged, i removed the chip, and everything was “fine” and i really hope that i didnt shorted anything on the board

the guy decided to not work on my notebook anymore ! (Quitter!!!)

So i ill take it to another pc store on a next city and find someone who can do a clean job on it!

I should update next weak!

Hey @Lost_N_BIOS

i Bought a Bios file for my notebook on ebay, The bios version is 305 (mine was on 307 but should be no problem)
Could you check if it ill be compatible with my notebook?
It is possible to add compatibility to Winbond chip?
I ill send my notebook to another pc store and have the winbond soldered

http://www.mediafire.com/file/w5810zv596…on+305.bin/file

@chadalu - Sorry to hear! That usually damages the trace internally, if not on top of PCB where you can see it blow through, and if not then it also blows the overvoltage protection circuits too usually
When you purchase a file on ebay, they send you stock BIOS with FD and ME (If you get lucky, sometimes they don’t even put that on there) So that was waste of $$ and you should try to get refund!
Rare seller might give you some dump from other repair site (ie same as I mentioned above, but they didn’t make the file themselves, but this only difference) << That may be why they give you 305 instead of 307, lazy or didn’t know how to make same 307
I can’t check if BIOS is compatible, if you purchase correct model it should be correct BIOS. I guess I can check the model number in there for you if you want? They should have at least sent you latest BIOS.

You shorted the BIOS traces vss to ground, you need a new motherboard or for someone to repair this board if possible now.
Trace will be blown through, 100% this happens instantly, you would not be quick enough to stop it from happening (it’s instantaneous)
You only felt the heat from after-the-fact, and you may not be able to see damage due to it’s under chip, and or inside PCB layers.
If you are lucky, only the trace blew out on top layer of PCB and not overvoltage/surge IC, and once chip removed you can repair trace by clean, and connect both sides across the break.
Remove that chip and get me some images of the area cleaned with all solder removed from area. This is your only concern now, BIOS files or BIOS chips do not matter anymore until the board is repaired Sorry this happened!

Yes, he probably quit due to this, nothing he can do unless he wants to, and knows how to, repair the blown out trace.

Wait!! You said you removed the chip? Where is image of clean space there, let me see it?

I bought the bios in case my base was not fine , they did not asked for my dump, so the file is from another Notebook and have another Base.
At least we should try, I uploaded the file in the #53 post.

The damage from the burn was "superficial" , Sorry i didnt take any picture of the area when the chip was removed.
My major concern is that the processe i did in post #52 may shorted something else, like that ITE chip next to it (it is possible?)
The Wson chip is working, i was able to flash it using the ebay file.
But i got no life response from notebook.

I think i ill send my mobo to a repair store in a big city,
I ill ask them to flash a file from post #35 that is known for almost working,at least it boots up,turn the leds on, and shows the splash logo of asus
Just to be sure that i didnt shorted anything else

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey @Lost_N_BIOS
Just sent my notebook to a big repair store, lets see what they say.

In this meantime , is it possible to help me add NVMe support to my desktop pc?
The mobo is a Gigabyte H110 D3A.

Hi @Lost_N_BIOS

It has been a long time, and today i receive the good news that the pc repair managed to fix my notebook
and the guy said he used some bios from a “forum he knows” , almost sure it is a bios of yours!

at this point i dont care lol, but i ill figure out when it arrives
I think i ill get my notebook at the weekend, thanks for all your support!

https://imgur.com/a/xOpLE6B

Fixed

@chadalu - Sorry for the super late reply!! I loose posts far too often, stuff gets buried quick here
Great to hear this system is now fixed and working!!

Do you still need NVME mod for H110? I would expect that to already be NVME compatible, but if it’s not I can do for you [likeeeeeeeeee

Hi man, no problems,

Really thank you for all your support and attention

I dont need the mod for the h110 anymore, thank you!

At this point im afraid to try another mod on my notebook XD, was really expensive fixing it xD