GOP Update and Extraction Tool (NVIDIA Only)

As many of us are aware, NVIDIA changed their firmware verification method starting from the Turing micro-architecture, rendering previous methods and update tools like GOP Updater ineffective.

Through experience and exploration, I discovered that this limitation was due to the validation of GOP header parameters and GOP volume size. To work around these limitations without breaking signatures, I employed tricks such as bit padding and verified the reliability of the method through small-scale testing.

Combining above method with potential needs, I created a toolkit that includes two tools: the GOP Update Tool for providing GOP updates, and the Extraction and Normalization Tool for preprocessing and extracting GOP modules locally.

GOP-Update-Tool

To use the toolkit, simply drag the firmware that requires an update to the GOP Update Tool, and the tool will automatically begin processing and display the appropriate version for updating.

It’s important to note that the GOP update and extraction tool currently only supports NVIDIA Turing and newer architecture GPUs, and has only been verified for reliability on Turing GPUs. For Ampere and newer architectures, an EEPROM Programmer may be necessary for firmware flashing.

Aside from supporting firmware updates for GOP modules, this tool also experimentally supports updating or decompressing GOP modules contained in vendor-released firmware programs (.exe) and importing the .efirom file from GOP Updater to the library.

Other notable features include small size, version selection support, support for updating multiple GOP modules, dynamic refresh, cache verification, autocorrect file names, and automatic closure.

Currently, this tool is mainly developed around the Turing architecture GPU. If you would like to see more progress on Ampere and newer architectures, please consider supporting me through sponsorship.

Supported donation methods:

PayPal · Rakuma · WeChat Pay · Alipay

· To update to MOD (modified version), for some motherboards need to disable Secure Boot in UEFI.
· The English version was based on translation tool, please let me know if there are any inaccuracies.

Turing : 0x5001F
Ampere : 0x60017
Ada Lovelace : 0x7000B

English : GOP Tools_20230326.zip · Google Drive
æ—„æœŹèȘž : GOP ăƒ„ăƒŒăƒ«_20230326.zip · Google ăƒ‰ăƒ©ă‚€ăƒ–
çź€äœ“äž­æ–‡ : GOP ć·„ć…·_20230326.zip · Google äș‘ç«ŻçĄŹç›˜

Disclaimer and Copyright Statement
· If you believe that we have infringed your rights, please notify us by email.
· You can correct the bugs or optimize the algorithm in the program and release the modified version, but you are not authorized to use it for commercial purposes without permission.
· Firmware operations carry some risks. Please seek professional help and bear any losses that may result on your own.

14 Likes

GOP Update Tool
Tool for updating graphics card firmware files or updating UEFI Graphics Output Protocol modules in packages.

Latest version

Supported models
NVIDIA Turing micro-architecture or newer

Support platform
Windows 7 or later (some effects do not display properly in Windows 7)

*Requires PowerShell 2.0 or higher

Instructions
Use GPU-Z or NVFlash to extract the firmware file, or get the firmware update package from the official support page of the brand, drag the firmware file or update package to the GOP update tool icon and follow the prompts to use the GOP module stored in the inventory for update renew.

Precautions
Updating to the modified version will destroy the UEFI digital signature, please disable the Secure Boot function in the BIOS/UEFI settings before using it.

Q&A

• No file input detected, please drag and drop the firmware file to the batch.
    Please re-drag the firmware file or update package to the GOP Update Tool icon.
    Since the drag-and-drop function of the Windows platform does not support paths containing some special symbols, please move the file to a directory that does not contain special symbols or enter GOP Update Tool path space firmware file or update package path on the Windows Command Line and press Enter to execute operate.

E.g :

"C:\Users\Your Name\Desktop\GOP Tools\GOP Update Tool.bat" C:\Users\Your Name\Desktop\TU106.rom
  • Please check the file size and try again.
    Please check your firmware file or update package size, GOP Update Tool supports size range from 500KB to 32MB.
    If the firmware file is uncompressed and conforms to the architectural requirements, the size should not be smaller than 976KB, otherwise your firmware file may be incomplete or damaged.

• Missing available GOP module files, please confirm and try again.
    Unable to find GOP module files from inventory directory, please keep files with .efi suffix and try again.

• Firmware read error, please check and try again.
    Please close programs that may be using the firmware file or update package and check the file’s read permissions.

• Unsupported architecture.
    The architecture of this firmware is not supported, please consider using GOP Updater.

• No GOP module detected.
    Unable to detect the GOP module from the imported firmware file or update package, except that the file is compressed or encrypted, some mobile platforms (notebook or tablet) will use the integrated graphics chip built into the CPU for video output and initialization, so the graphics card is not configured GOP function.

• Which version should I choose?
    Comparing versions, it’s evident that aside from certain specific versions undergoing program structure reconstructions, updated versions often include additional code supplements and modifications. From experience, we believe this represents functional fixes or stability improvements for the original program in certain scenarios. We recommend using the latest version on devices without compatibility issues to achieve a better user experience.
    Furthermore, on certain devices, the available space for the GOP module is insufficient to accommodate the full version. Consequently, the tool offers modified versions with trimmed digital signatures to address space constraints. We advise prioritizing the use of unaltered versions on devices meeting space requirements.
    *To use the Mod version, please disable the “Secure Boot” feature in the motherboard’s UEFI settings, some modern motherboards may fail device initialization due to a lack of digital signatures.

• Can I downgrade?
    In theory, you’re free to change the version of the GOP module. However, considering the rarity of this requirement and factors such as device stability,This tool does not currently provide this feature. If you have such a need, feel to contact us for assistance.

• Why does the IFR Subsystem ID as 0000-0000
    Some firmware, especially OEM products, have not configured the GOP IFR Subsystem ID during compilation, and therefore use the default value of 0000-0000.

• No GOP module file higher than version 0x
 was found.
    Unable to find a newer GOP module file from inventory than this firmware file or update package, which may already have the latest known GOP version.
    If you want to check for updates manually, you can check for the newly released firmware files or update packages for graphics cards with the same architecture from the official support page of the brand or VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp, and use the extraction and normalization tool to check whether there is a higher version.

• The required file was not found, please confirm and try again.
    A required GOP module file was deleted, please close programs that may have deleted this file and try again.

• Cache has been deleted, please close unnecessary programs and try again.
    The temporarywork\FW cache file created by the GOP Update Tool has been deleted, please close the program that may delete this file or folder and try again.

• Cache has been modified, please close unnecessary programs and try again.
    Do not run multiple instances at the same time.

• Firmware update failed due to unknown error.
    The firmware file or update package encountered an error during the update process and failed to pass the verification. Please check your Powershell platform version and environment configuration and try again.

Extraction and Normalization Tool
A tool for extracting and normalizing graphics card firmware files or UEFI Graphics Output Protocol modules in update packages.

Latest version

Supported models
NVIDIA Turing micro-architecture or newer

Support platform
Windows 7 or later (some effects do not display properly in Windows 7)

*Requires PowerShell 2.0 or higher

Instructions
Drag a firmware file or update package to the Extract and Normalize Tool icon to extract and inventory new version GOP modules to the current directory for update use.
In addition, the Extraction and normalization tool also supports importing and normalizing the .efirom format files built into GOP Updater.

Q&A

• No file input detected, please drag and drop the firmware file to the batch.
    Please re-drag the firmware file or update package to the Extraction and Normalization Tool icon.
    Since the drag-and-drop function of the Windows platform does not support paths containing some special symbols, please move the file to a directory that does not contain special symbols or enter Extraction and Normalization Tool path space firmware file or update package path on the Windows Command Line and press Enter key to operate.

E.g :

"C:\Users\Your Name\Desktop\GOP Tools\Extraction and Normalization Tool.bat" C:\Users\Your Name\Desktop\TU106.rom
  • Please check the file size and try again.
    Please check the size of the firmware file or update package you want to extract, Extraction and Normalization Tools support a size range from 50KB to 32MB.
    If the imported file is uncompressed and meets the architectural requirements, the typical size should be no less than 67KB.

• Firmware read error, please check and try again.
    Please close programs that may be using the firmware file or update package and check the file’s read permissions.

• Unsupported architecture.
    The architecture of this firmware is not supported.

• No GOP module detected.
    Unable to detect the GOP module from the imported firmware file or update package, except that the file is compressed or encrypted, some mobile platforms (notebook or tablet) will use the integrated graphics chip built into the CPU for video output and initialization, so the graphics card is not configured GOP function.

• GOP module file with the same or higher version already exists.
    The inventory directory already has a GOP module file of the same or higher version as the imported firmware file or update package.

• Extraction failed due to unknown error.
    During the process of extracting and normalizing the GOP module, an error was encountered and the verification failed. Please check your Powershell platform version and environment configuration and try again.

6 Likes

• Optimize program size
  • Standardized variable names
  • Fixed bug
    · Where the update still displayed as successful even when firmware was deleted during the update

• Adjusted the interface layout
  • Optimize the syntax efficiency of Autocorrect file names

• Optimize text translation

• Optimize program size
  • Optimise logic and efficiency
    · No longer checks when firmware does not match requirements

• Optimize program size

• Optimize program size
7 Likes

Wake Up Babe, new GOP Update for Nvidia is now released :smiley:

1 Like

@wudimobile I know you’ve been working hard on this for a while - it’s great to see a public release! :+1:

I will try to get around to testing the tool when I have a spare moment.

Thanks for posting it here.

[Edit] I have an ASUS RTX 2070 Mini OC that has been crossflashed with the Asus Dual EVO OC V2 BIOS (90.06.5A.00.37)

Test #1
I updated the VBIOS from GOP 0x50014 to GOP 0x50018 (no modificaiton) with your tool and everything works (including secure boot) as expected.

Test #2
I updated the VBIOS from GOP 0x50014 to GOP 0x5001D (modification required) with your tool and everything works (except secure boot) as expected.

Nice work :grinning:

2 Likes

Successfully modified bios INNO3D RTX 2080 Super.
I only added GOP without selecting _MOD.
I also did not disable secure boot in UEFI.
The BIOS certificate is not lost and the checksum is correct.
You are very resourceful. Thanks, very good work.

Hi. I tried adding/updating GOP of chinese GeForce RTX 3060 6GB with mobile chipset (it is a desktop graphics card). The card does not support software reading/writing of BIOS (gpu-z and nvflash cannot extract the bios) so I have to use CH341A tool to read and write BIOS.

unfortunately, both the GOPUpd tool and your new GOP Update and Extraction tool brick the video card (after writing GOP updated BIOS) and the video card prevents the computer from POSTing until I put the old BIOS back on.

Thank you for your feedback.

Sorry I can’t be of more help to you at this time.

I do not have an Ampere architecture graphics device, so I cannot confirm the cause of the problem. I will be actively involved in fixing the problem when I have a device to use for testing, so I suggest you check back to this post in a while.

2 Likes

Hi, some one have the VBIOS for a Nvidia Quadro P620 mobile 2GB.
I have this problem
https://www.dell.com/community/Precision-Mobile-Workstations/Precision-3541-amp-Nvidia-Quadro-P620-GPU-Problems/td-p/8200987

And i believe tha my replacement mobo came with out a VBIOS installed.

It doesnt appear to be an MXM card so the vbios is integrated into the main laptop bios.

EDIT: The P620 is onboard soldered, usually its on main bios unless it has a dedicated circuit/spi for her, not common but this is Mobile Workstation family
who knows

Now
the GOP is used for boot and this may only assigned to the Intel iGPU.
Messing with vbios and gop updates on mobile platforms is not a wise choice and the list of “deaths” is endless

Only with in-depth bios, visual inspection or schematics can more info be determined.
Good luck.

I think it’s independent VBIOS, I already inspected the laptop’s BIOS and it doesn’t have the nvidia GOP

rtx 3070ti

Thank you for your feedback.

I’m sorry that I cannot provide you with more help at the moment because of the lack of available Ampere microarchitecture GPU for testing.

If you’d like to see more of it come to fruition, please consider supporting me through sponsorship.

Hey, guys, sorry for offtop, I wanted to ask if there are any ways to mod Turing VBIOS? I have a Quadro T1000 MXM-A from Adlinktech. Thank you.

del

1 Like

“Extraction and Normalization Tool” applied to these files:
nv_gop_AD1xx_0x7000C.efirom
nv_gop_AD1xx_0x7000D.efirom
The folder contains the following files:
70ca8.efi
70da8.efi
My “vgabios.rom” contains GOP version 0x70009.
But when you update, you still see only 0x7000B. Where 0x7000C, 0x7000D ?

Graphics card: GIGABYTE GV-N4090WF3-24GD = NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 (GPU: AD102-300-A1, Device ID: 10DE 2684 - 1458 40CE), 24G + Updates:

• vgabios_oc: GV-N4090WF3-24GD/F2/0E5A / 95.02.18.80.62 / 08.08.22 / EFI 0x70009 (x64)
  • vgabios_silent: GV-N4090WF3-24GD/F2/0E59 / 95.02.18.80.63 / 08.08.22 / EFI 0x70009 (x64)

I do not advise you to manually add efi files to the GOP Update and Extraction Tool (NVIDIA Only). This can lead to sad consequences.

Is there a tool that works with pascal? what method I have to use to update on pascal?

For PASCAL you can use the GOP updater
AMD and Nvidia GOP update (No requests, DIY) - BIOS/UEFI Modding / BIOS Modding Guides and Problems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

1 Like