[Guide] CoffeeLake CPUs on Skylake and KabyLake mainboards

Ok. I rename it. Download again and try. And tell me BIOS version on you board.
May be this help to you [GUIDE] Coffee Lake CPUs on Skylake and Kaby Lake motherboards (13) .
Or you can try mb_bios_ga-z270x-gaming-soc_f5_mod.zip
And thanks a lot to Wolf Larsen! He realy help me with my BIOS mod!

Alright, first, thanks for trying again. Unfortunately I am still unable to load the bios which you created.

I tried to use the noob mode Q-Flash and that failed

Then I tried the dos boot flash method using the special efiflash which you kindly linked up, but that also failed

Try that efiflash with /x switch or /y or /z

That i found

Can you try this file? Z27XGSOC.F5

Did you try yet? If /x does not work, try /y and /z (separately)

If still nothing, the BIOS may not be edited properly? I can make a BIOS for you, please specify which microcodes and or Intel ME you want in the BIOS
@THE_FIST - also please tell me exact CPU’s you plan to try so I can put correct microcodes sky/kaby lake(506E3/906E9) and for planned coffee lake(906EB/906EA) - only one each - x1 sky/kaby + x1 coffee

Let Bugger Vance also make a BIOS. Maybe I’m doing something wrong
Can you try this file? Z27XGSOC.F5

Help me please

I successfully flash my mod bios but mobo can’t boot debug code error 18

my mobo z270x-gaming 7

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-…support-dl-bios

Sorry for my bad English

Flash back stock BIOS, then get new mod BIOS, apparently something is wrong CPU related (18 = Identify CPU and Init Cache)

Here is BIOS mod @ F5 - if you want F6d mod let me know and I can do later. Please post back and let us know if this works, thanks!
http://www.filedropper.com/z270x-gaming-soc-coffee-mod-f5

Intel ME is stock with F5 BIOS - 11.6.27.3264

Microcodes applied
906AE (Rev. 94–2018) Coffee Lake 6
906EB (Rev. 84–2018) Coffee Lake 4
506E3 (Rev. C2–2017) Skylake

vBIOS - 1054 (unsure if 1055 would have been OK or not? So followed guide, probably should be updated!?)

Secondary Included BIOS has PCIE Patch applied, I was unsure if this is necessary for all or not, so it’s included in case it’s required
If this PCIE patching is required, should be added to page one guide!

First try flash with Qflash if it will allow, If Qflash blocks try w/ included modified EFI Flash (mod .62 is included, because that’s the version with stock BIOS)
/x or /y or /z switches may be required, one switch at a time

BIOS is untested, and recovery from bad flash may be required (ie USB Flash Programmer, or manually kicking in dual BIOS recovery etc)
Please flash at your own risk, should be OK I think

anyone tried to upgrade an ASRock Z270 SuperCarrier board with Intel i3 8350k yet?
I am going to try this at forthcomming saturday and will keep you informed about success (or fail).

Flashed my latest SuperCarrier BIOS 2.40 with all the possible modifications from latest UBU while still running Intel I7 6700k:

Scanning BIOS. Please wait…
Define BIOS platform - AMI Aptio V
Brand ASRock
[EFI Drivers - Find and Extract]
Inttel GOP SubGUID 380B6B4F-1454-41F2-A6D3-61D1333E8CB4
Intel RST GUID 91B4D9C1-141C-4824-8D02-3C298E36EB3F
AMI NVMe GUID 634E8DB5-C432-43BE-A653-9CA2922CC458
Intel Gigabit GUID 9006872D-3A86-4BAE-A2F0-E527B9D7119E
Intel PRO/1000 GUID 48392194-D155-4567-9AAF-FA805BAEEC6C

[OROM - Find and Extract]
VBIOS in GUID A0327FE0-1FDA-4E5B-905D-B510C45A61D0
OROM in GUID A0327FE0-1FDA-4E5B-905D-B510C45A61D0
DrΓΌcken Sie eine beliebige Taste . . .

- - - - -

Main Menu
[Current vesion in BIOS file]
1 - Disk Controller
EFI IRST RAID for SATA - 16.3.0.3377
OROM IRST RAID for SATA - 16.3.0.3377
EFI AMI NVMe Driver present
2 - Video OnBoard
OROM VBIOS SKL-KBL - 1055
EFI GOP Driver SKL-CFL - 9.0.1079
3 - Network
EFI Intel Gigabit UNDI - 0.0.19
EFI Intel PRO/1000 UNDI - 8.3.02
OROM Intel Boot Agent GE - 1.5.62
OROM Intel Boot Agent CL - 0.1.13
4 - Other SATA Controller
╔════════════════════════════════════════╗
β•‘ MC Extractor v1.20.0 r69 β•‘
β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
β•‘ Intel β•‘
β•Ÿβ”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”¬β”€β”€β”€β”€β•’
β•‘#β”‚CPUIDβ”‚Platform ID β”‚Revisionβ”‚ Date β”‚Typeβ”‚ Size β”‚ Offset β”‚Lastβ•‘
β•Ÿβ”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β•’
β•‘1β”‚506E3β”‚36 (1,2,4,5)β”‚ C2 β”‚2017-11-16β”‚PRD β”‚0x18400β”‚0xE10400β”‚Yes β•‘
β•Ÿβ”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”Όβ”€β”€β”€β”€β•’
β•‘2β”‚906E9β”‚ 2A (1,3,5) β”‚ 84 β”‚2018-01-21β”‚PRD β”‚0x18000β”‚0xE28800β”‚ No β•‘
β•‘3β”‚506E8β”‚ 22 (1,5) β”‚ 34 β”‚2016-07-10β”‚PRD β”‚0x17800β”‚0xE40800β”‚Yes β•‘
β•šβ•β•§β•β•β•β•β•β•§β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•§β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•§β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•§β•β•β•β•β•§β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•§β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•§β•β•β•β•β•
Microcodes GUID 17088572-377F-44EF-8F4E-B09FFF46A070

WOW!

WHat steps did you follow? I currently have a Skylake chip and slightly older microcode and I would like to dump Kaby Lake in lieu of Coffee Lake. Any tips are appreciated!
I found this here after going further and further into the thread. Looks solid…but a pain for now getting all 6 cores to work.
[GUIDE] Coffee Lake CPUs on Skylake and Kaby Lake motherboards (11)

Amazing, thank you for doing this!! +1 :smiley:

Unfortunately I was unable to flash via either method. I used the supplied version 0.62 of efiflash (after I renamed to just "Efiflash" (removed the 62) it booted). However, as before, I was not able to flash the bios. I tried the switches /x, /y, /z, and it only accepted /x but still gave me the same error as before. The y and z switches reported invalid and would not even execute at all. I also tried the PCIe pached bios but that was also unsuccessful to flash via either method.

I have 8700k’s to test with and I am attempting to flash the MB with 7350k. I have the MOCF up and running with 8700k and I have even done some 6.8ghz LN2 overclocks with it, its very stable. I hope to also get this GB board working so I can torture some chips with it too :slight_smile:

Sometimes that happens with various USB drives, please try copy of the BIOS on another smaller USB drive (FAT32 best) And make sure USB drive is connected to USB 2.0 port on rear of board, not USB3/3.1. I assume the USB 2.0 ones are the two yellow under PS/2

Also, what happens if you try to flash either BIOS I posted with Qflash from within the BIOS?

Attached is version .65 mod, they’re both from a thread here on the forums. Maybe this one will work for you? I sent .62 because stock BIOS came with .62, but maybe .65 mod will work?

If nothing ends up working, you can try latest version of @BIOS program, but best to only use that as last resort and after you know you can recover from a bad flash.
To install it you will need to install β€œapp center”, then @BIOS, both available on the boards download page in the β€œUtility” section
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-…port-dl-utility

Efiflash65.zip (45.6 KB)

@Bugger Vance
Awesome news, I was able to flash the bios’s you made for me. What it needed was the standard efiflash program that comes with the F5 bios direct from GB, the modded efiflash you included didn’t work.

However, bummer to report that the board does not boot with coffee. It turns on for 1/2 second then turns off and does not go through any post codes. I tried both of your bios files. In this picture you can see I successfully flashed the PCIe patched one.

I tried 8700k with and without the pinmod short on the bottom, neither one worked.

I think its need to downgrade ME version, as Wolf Larsen say. 11.6.10.1196 - must be OK

@THE_FIST - I did not think to suggest original efiflash, good thing you tried! I had not tested either of those modified files, but reports in the thread here say they work, maybe only for certain boards or certain BIOS.
Sorry it does not work on your CPU. Maybe we can fix, due to wrong Intel ME, I can change that! Is your CPU ES or QC, or retail? Asking to make sure it’s retail, so we know correct CPUID microcode was applied 906AE=retail

Yes, thanks @Nastojka - I was not sure which ME was required, and asked which he wanted, but no one replied. So I left as-is I stock BIOS ME 11.6.27.3264, per the guide here somewhere I think, it seemed that version was in the OK area.

Just reading first few pages in this thread, maybe 4-6 it looks like you may not get a ME downgrade even if BIOS has old ME in it. You may need a flash programmer and desolder then program, or flash entire chip with Intel FPT possibly, or other full BIOS DOS Flasher.
I do see the flash descriptor in this BIOS is unlocked read/write for ME, so it should be possible with Intel FPT via DOS but you’d have to read around on how to do that.

Here @THE_FIST - New BIOS files, I downgraded both to Intel ME 11.6.0.1126 - hope you or someone can help you figure out how to force flash the ME to downgrade.
http://www.filedropper.com/z270x-gaming-…e-mod-f5-old-me

I think the Intel FPT and ME thread will get you there
Special: Intel Management Engine
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Be careful with this tool, backup your BIOS first (ie Dump directly), so you have a copy of MAC address, serial number in the BIOS, and system UUID

Guide here for flashing ME only (Section 4), applies to any board not just Asus, and you can either use FTK Kit (edit out Asus lines in the batch file) or directly downloaded Intel FPT tools from here (Or edit/view the batch files from a FTK Kit for merefl.bat)

This is the command you want to be using from DOS >> fpt -rewrite -me -f bios.bin
Use a whole BIOS file, not a ME file or ME region dump etc.

Can you give me link how to downgrade ME?

I use UEFITool 0.22.4 (0.24.00 probably OK too, you don’t want the β€œNE” versions) - https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool/releases

Open BIOS, open Intel Image area, then you see ME, right click extract/replace

More info about UEFITool
[Guide] How to extract/insert/replace EFI BIOS modules by using the UEFITool

* I forgot to mention, check the β€œDescriptor” Region above that too, in BIOS where you see on right side ME read/write, if it says NO for write then BIOS flash tools can’t update ME

You can modify the descriptor to change this, here is a thread here about it, but I think if it says NO for write then you have to use USB or SPI flash programmer
[Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing

All 6 cores work fine, you can use the script files I posted earlier to change the ratios on all cores at windows startup in the MSR registers. This works in a seamless manner and does not require XTU running in the background.
For M8H you can also experiment with M10H bios region also.