[Guide] CoffeeLake CPUs on Skylake and KabyLake mainboards

General Gigabyte boards are indeed like that.
You can confirm more details here
Intel NICs should take note of the MAC for safe keeping.

Hi, Iā€™m looking to patch Coffee Lake support to my Asus Z170M-Plus, and since Iā€™m on a tight budget Iā€™ve spotted a couple of cheap CPUs, though they are engineering samples, hence the low pricing. One is a QNMN i5-8400 and the other is a QNMM 8600K. Would either of them work at all with this patch or am I better off just getting a retail chip?

Hey guys!

Iā€™m new to this forum so be nice please :slight_smile: - Or throw rocks at me, i will try to dodge!

Long story short: I dont want to update my whole System as i am happy with as it is, except for the CPU. Iā€™ve seen online, that there a bios mods which allow us to use a newer CPU on old Motherboards. This is my Setup ATM (Just the important stuff):

i7 6700k
Asus Maximus Extreme 8
760 Watt Corsair AX760

Was anyone able to make this kind of combination work? Or maybe has a good idea on what to do? So far iā€™ve only found guides for AsRock or MSI Boards and many different statements on which CPU will work and which wonā€™t.

Looking forward for a Pro to help meā€¦thanks in advance!

Hi

Can any confirm if the Coffeetime (8th/9th Gen Bios hack) works on OEM motherboards

For example the ALienware X51 R3 has a Z170 board ā€¦ I was thinking of trying

I have a CH314 and can resolder BIOS chip if needed

Does anyone know if itā€™s possible to enable integrated TPM 2.0 using QQLS CPU? (Maybe by turning on ME? ) I have a ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA, and it does not have external TPM header. My system has been stable for almost 2 years, but without TPM, and I would like to enable it.

This mb model is in Asus support list to Windows 11 by updating its bios, it uses PPT (Embebded Intel TPM)
ASUS Motherboards Ready for Windows 11

EDIT: I seeā€¦ yeah it can be from the mod and the 1440 cpu usedā€¦ well you canā€™t have it all, Coffee Lake mod, 1440 pos mutant etc etcā€¦ tough bad luck.

Yes, but Iā€™m already on latest version, and PPT enabled, but I think that the BIOS mod for running the QQLS is somehow preventing PPT to work properly. See attachments.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 173113
Screenshot 2024-03-23 173200
Screenshot 2024-03-23 173223

I read that TPM is related with ME, mine is disabled, but I donā€™t know if itā€™s a requirement to 1440 mod, and if its really a possible solution alsoā€¦

PPT is enable in the SKU of the ME FW, the thing is youā€™re using a MUTANT 1151 to 1440 cpuā€¦ so do you know the hardwire connections to make it work and so making the Chinese taking profit? Ask him thenā€¦ he may know and be aware of thisā€¦ does he careā€¦probably not, youā€™re just another customer like any other and heā€™s got your money in his pocket, end of story.

Yes, but ME FW is disabledā€¦ If I enable it, will stop work? Any chance of success?

Would this mod work on HP Elitedesk 600 G3 65W ?

i have a gigabyte z170 UD3 (rev 1), got a e3 1220 v5 recently for free and was wondering if coffetime would make my Mobo work with that CPU

couple questions tho,
would the e3 1220 v5 even work? since i see people mostly doing coffeetime to fit 8th/9th gen or some laptop chips on there motherboards i as wondering if using a xeon would even work?

i read about pins needing to be covered/isolated, does anyone have a guide i can follow to do that?

anyways thanks

Hello @snh9692,

The e3 1220 v5 CPU is a Xeon CPU. For it to work on this board you will have to patch the Management Engine to support Xeon CPUs.

I recall the CoffeeTime app can do this for you, but others here might have a better solution.

Good luck

@90Ninety did you have any luck so far? I also have 2 x51 R3 and wanted to at least give one of them a Coffee time boost.

late reply lol, after doing all the mods on coffetime would i need to hid/block some pins for the CPU to boot, or should it boot fine after the bios flash?

[TOOL] Easy automated Mod tool for Coffee Lake bios - BIOS/UEFI Modding / BIOS Modding Guides and Problems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

EDIT: Thats a Skylake cpuā€¦ why are you asking this in this thread and Coffee Lake tool???

Use the E3 V5 series CPU method on the H110 B150 Z170 motherboard - BIOS/UEFI Modding / BIOS Modding Guides and Problems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

thatā€™s for 8th/9th gen, what about xeons? (Specially in my case the e3 1220 v5)

Hello @snh9692

The coffeelake tool can change the Management Engine version to support Xeons.

It is an easy tool to use.

• Load tool

• Open your file

• Select the Management Engine version you want

• Apply and save

If you want help via PM, Iā€™m happy to.

Best regards,

1 Like

Hello,

i am trying to add xeon E-2288G support to my Fujitsu extracted D3417-A2 BIOS.
@68k-dude do i need to change Management Engine and which version do i need for xeon support?
Tried Coffeetime 0.99 (incl. pinmod), the machine posts (after about 2 min) but hangs up (Error Code 99, bottom right) and can not reach the BIOS.
Do you have any tipps?

Greetings BazzT

@BazzT, try it mod.
D3417_A2.zip (4.6 MB)