[Guide/Deprecated] Flashing modified AMI Aptio UEFI using AFU

Did you try with MMTool ?

MMTool v5.0.0.7 gives file size exceeds the volume size error

Hello! First Post here!

I have bought exactly this laptop http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/ā€¦upgrade.783248/
To summarize, itā€™s an ASUS UX32VD with a ASUS UX32A BIOS. Which is wrong (but works), however this means that the discrete GPU (620M) is off permanently, and 32GB iSSD cache is inaccessible.

The reason Iā€™m writing here is to ask whether the

Ā 
/GAN
Ā 
method will work for an *official* AMI Aptio BIOS. Simply to make the UX32Aā†’UX32VD switch again.

I am thinking of doing:
Ā 
AFUDOS UX32VDAS.214 /X /GAN /L3
Ā 

I'll probably use AFUDOS 3.07.01 (Compatible with Aptio 3, 4 and 4.5.) or AFUEFI 3.07.01 if all else fails.

Any thoughts?
Thank you! You're awesome the bunch of you!

@ SSIV:
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Although I cannot personally help you (I have never done this sort of BIOS modding), I wish you support by an expert and good luck while flashing the modded BIOS.

Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you!

I have another question then (sorry :). I have an Aptio UEFI BIOS file in .bin format, which I know will work. However now is the question regarding procedure.
AFUDOS only supports .rom. Are .bin files supposed to be flashed by external flashers? Or is there a different way? (if you could point me in the right direction)
My flashing options are AFUDOS (if .rom/.bin formats are interchangeable), and flashrom (which doesnā€™t care about format, raw data).

Is there a way to convert a .bin to a .rom format which AFUDOS will accept? Or is external flashing mandatory in this case?

I found a release of afudos that the command AFU /GAN still works
http://www.supermicro.nl/products/motherā€¦87/X10SLQ-L.cfm
download the lates bios X10SLQ5.A09 and the bios include a afudos ver 3.04. in this afudos version will work /GAN command.
Now my motherboard a ASUS Q87T can boot from a SM951 M.2 PCI-E disk.
Thanks a lot a everybody in this forum.

@ Ramses II:

Welcome at Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your contribution!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@CodeRush

I have ASUS Z77-A mainboard I test several times

AFU modified.rom /P /B /K more different ā€œSecurity verification failedā€ messages

I found AMI AFU swore a lot of different versions
3.07.01 is not support /GAN
3.06.01 is last support version

but

AFU modified.rom /GAN
Reading flash ā€¦ done
Erasing All Block ā€¦ done
Updating All Block ā€¦ done
Verifying All Block ā€¦ done

My mainboards is NOT BIOS is flashed I tried several times and check every thing

3.04.03 has /GAN
3.06.01 with /GAN

3.07.01 doesnā€™t /GAN

screen messages is writed but I read on back in windows doesnā€™t writed

latest version is 5.07.01

So ASUS disabled it. Use another approach, cheap SPI programmer, for example.

if I use SPI programmer
I lost MBOARD IDs and MAC ID
lost every thing

any one have map for patch

real BIOS (patched) ADDRESSs
and maybe I can split and extracted all
and back ADD all parts again
maybe I can write back 25q64
I read orjinal backup and dump file

No, you wonā€™t lose anything. You can use Afuwin to backup your current bios and open it via FD44Editor. It will display MAC ID as well as the MB ID.

Once again Iā€™m trying to flash my two P8B-E/4L with modded BIOS containing the latest Intel LAN and Intel Rapid Storage ROMā€™s. Iā€™m using the afudos version from the quoted link but I only get these errors;
AFUDOS.exe P8BE4L.cap /P /B /K ends up with error "18 Error Unable to start a secure flash session"
AFUDOS.exe P8BE4L.cap /GAN ends up with error "3 Error file size does not match existing bios size"
Any ideas?

Once again Iā€™m trying to flash my two P8B-E/4L with modded BIOS containing the latest Intel LAN and Intel Rapid Storage ROMā€™s. Iā€™m using the afudos version from the quoted link but I only get these errors;
AFUDOS.exe P8BE4L.cap /P /B /K ends up with error "18 Error Unable to start a secure flash session"
AFUDOS.exe P8BE4L.cap /GAN ends up with error "3 Error file size does not match existing bios size"
Any ideas?

vanguard b85 doesnā€™t have flashback, i can only flash modded bios with /GAN successfully when i select "0 - As Is BIOS.BIN with remove Capsule Header" to save modded bios. but i quickly discovered the MAC Address of Intel NIC on M/B changed to 88:88:88:88:87:88. i donā€™t know if /GAN cause this problem, but i use Eeupdate.exe to change it back.

My N56VZ died when it was Erasing NCB Block.
Iā€™ll have to flash it again via CH341A programmer.

EDIT by Fernando: Fully quoted start post removed (to save space) - 1 guide per thread is enough!

The newest build of AFU does not allow me to flash the BIOS on a P8Z77V PREMIUM, (The workaround is, to find an older build of AFU)

I would use BFlasher by asus, but I canā€™t for the life of me find the old version of bflasher, that allowed you to by pass the Security verification failed rubbish, you could use some command to bypass it, canā€™t recall what that was now! so the only way iā€™m able to flash at the moment, is to use an older type of AFU, and flashing a bios.bin file, because i dont think AFU supports .cap

* This is way over the top Security, I wont be buying an Asus board ever again after this, itā€™s so crazy, i dont even know if flashing worked, AFU says it did flash the bios i made in UBU_Upd_2_1,

* before anyone says, use stup!d rubb!sh flashback, flashback is dead on my board, I format a stick as fat32, i rename the bios file, i turn the system off, i put this usb stick in the flashback usb port, that is clearly marked out in green, i press and hold the button, and the light flashs every 1 second, for 1 millisecond, I let go after 5 seconds, and the light stops flashing every millisecond, and just stays on, (it does not flash) ive tried holding it for 10 seconds, 20 seconds, even 1 min, even 10 mins, ive tried cmos reset, removing the battery, cmos reset again, changing the pins with the blue connecter, using a other usb stick, nothings makes it work,

anyway to check the bios flashed the settings i choose in UBU ?

Hello, it was very hard for me to get my bios to update, with out the Security verification failed message, it does not help that AMIBIOS has different types of its program, some donā€™t work on your bios, some do work, so im posting this guide for noobie bios modders like me

1st off you will need to download lots of different things, they also need to be the right things too, in the right place, you donā€™t need to be a command line Computer Nerd, to make this work, you just need alot of time, and take things very slow, or you will end up with a computer, that wont even post,

1st download : Here

download both UBU_Upd_2_1.exe
and
UBU_v1_47_1.rar

once downloaded, extract both UBU_v1_49_1 and UBU_Upd_2_1, you should then end up with two folders, you then want to move all folders out of UBU_Upd_2_1, ā€œMEAā€ and ā€œModulesā€ too UBU_v1_49_1, you then need to rename ā€œUBU_v1_49_1ā€ to ā€œUBUā€ and move it to the root of your system drive, "c:" one you have done that, download your bios, and move the .cap file, or .bin file, to the UBU folder, we just moved to your c:\ drive,

open a admin command prompt, by right clicking on your start button, or by right clicking on command prompt in all programs, once open, type in

CD C:\UBU

UBU

now wait till it says : Press any key to continueā€¦

now if you know what your doing, you may start, but if you donā€™t, follow what i do,

press the number 1 then enter, press the number 7 then enter, then just enter after , 2 enter, 1 enter, enter, 3 enter, 1 enter, enter, 5 enter, 1 enter, enter,

now the harder part, press 7 and then enter, a window will open, just press enter inside of it, then go back to the windows you were working in and press 1, then enter, type 1C, then enter, then type 29, then enter again, press enter on the new window that opens, (if at any point, pressing enter does not work, to close the extra opened window, close it, then type n, then enter,

now press 0, then enter, then press 1, then enter 1, then enter again, to close the window, job done!

you should find a new bios file in the UBU folder, with the correct name for flashing to your bios, if flashback is still working for your system, great, if not, then continue reading,

next you will need to download : here

then extract the following found here :
D:\Users\signe\Downloads\AMIBIOS_and_Aptio_AMI_Firmware_Update_Utility.zip\AptioV\afu\afuwin\64

open an old bios file, and flash it, using the program afu, then open and flash the new modded bios file with the program afu,the one found in the (UBU folder) make sure you do all blocks, this will by pass the Security verification failed message, if you still get a message, keep opening and closing the program, till it lets you flashed your bios, this is the only other way to flash your bios, if flashback is broken, :frowning:

After you have flashed your bios, you will want to reboot, and clear cmos, to check that your modded bios did flash, you will want to open afu, then click save, then move the .rom file to ubu, if ubu shows the updated version numbers this time, then it worked, if it shows older version numbers, then the flashed failed, good luck

hi, i am new in bios modding, this is my experience and problem :
computer is dell vostro 3650, this direct link to original bios :
http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03973257ā€¦_3.3.6.exe

i modified logo in bios, i tryed to flash it to bios with afudos i got error :

afudos modded.rom /p /b /k
secure flash enabled
loading capsule to secure memory
18 - error: unable to start a secure flash session. Sad

i tried afudos modded.rom /gan and it flashes all blocks correctly but after i rebooted logo was not changed :frowning:

i did not find any clear guide to remove security capsule headers please help me with a good link
or if possible i give u modified bios file and remove capsule for me please

http://www.4shared.com/file/WHKYGzzMba/moddedAptio.html
thank you in advance

Hallo,

Well I followed the guide and my result is a not-POSTing motherboard anymoreā€¦ I have ASUS A88XM-A board in my HTPC where I wanted to boot from PCI-E x4 adapter with NVMe SSD (Apple 2013 128GB SSD). I used Aptioafu to flash a modded .CAP file with the NVMe driver injected successfully.

1. I have the modded .CAP file that I created from the offical latest (v.3001) bios .CAP file for my motherboard. I followed THIS guide

to inject the NVMe module and named it NVME.CAP.

2. I created bootable USB and booted FreeDOS and copied the NVME.CAP file as well as the original 3001.CAP file on the USB flash drive along with the AFU program (I shortly named in APTIOAFU.EXE).

3. I followed this guide
and launched my APTIOAFU to make a backup of the actual bios, prior to the experimentingā€¦ So now I have a backup .ROM file named 3k1BCP.rom (3k1 comes from latest bios version number 3001). APTIOAFU 3k1BCP.rom /O

4. Then I used APTIOAFU NVME.CAP /P /B /K /RECOVERY to flash my .CAP file with security overrideā€¦ After reboot, nothing but black screen.

5. I turned the PC off by I/O button, plug off the PSU, reset BIOS by the RTC clamp on the board, even remove the bios battery for some time, then put it all back. Nothing worked and the board is dead now. It will power up but wont POST.

Luckily, I found the invoice of the board and it is still under warrantyā€¦ so I am going to claim it by the seller;o))) And since the seller does not sell this model anymore but sells the A88XM-A/USB3.1 for just a little bit higher price, I will buy the new version with USB3.1! Yeah, yeahā€¦

Cheers, bye!

with CH341H-based SPI programmer, what is the procedure to follow in order to have BIOS lock disabled, that FTK has BIOS permission to read and write?