[Guide/Deprecated] Flashing modified AMI Aptio UEFI using AFU

AFU backup.rom /O command
but i get this

pressed key twice and command closes
http://prntscr.com/dqror8

when i try to boot from my usb directly it just say did error
usb format is fat´32

usb is msdos. am i doing this correctly?
http://prntscr.com/dqrrm9

what should i do with asus cap file? do i rename it to rom and flash modified bios?

hello guys, can you help me? i want to unlock my asus h61m-k :smiley:

Hello CodeRush:

Fernando recommended that I write you to make a question.
I have an Asus GL752VW laptop, this brings NVMe port and I want to install a Samsung 960 Evo M.2 disk.
I followed Fernando’s post to modify the Bios by installing the NvmExpressDxE_2.ffs module. But my bios already contains an Nvme module that I send to Fernando and he said:

I would like you to check this BIOS modification or help me to modify it and get the use of this SSd in the laptop.

Thank you very much CodeRush.

Original File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/33uf6il1yr7g17…mp_Ori.rar?dl=0
Modified File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mp2q5lho2s7up…ewbody.rar?dl=0
Original Module: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6rxtj6y34nhwy…vw_ori.rar?dl=0
NvmeExpressDxE_.ffs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dp8g8gqvyc9sss…sDxE_2.rar?dl=0

Hello, i tried the procedure with afu biosmod /p /b /k and i got 18- error : unable to start a secure flash session
With /gan, the flash process works but no changes were applied… How can i do to make it work? I have an asus x541uj laptop with aptioV bios.

It does not have ASUS USB Flashback button.
I did some bios mods and tried to flash by EZ Flash 3 from bios, but it says that "selected file not a proper bios".
In AfuEfi i got a security error with

afuefix64 bios.bin /p /b /k

. /gan option is unknown command.

Can you please tell me - where is my mistake or it is not available to flash this board?

@dmitryBz :
Welcome at Win-RAID Forum!

Since I cannot help you myself, I have moved your post into this already existing and 100% matching thread, which has been started and is supported by our BIOS Guru CodeRush.
Please read CodeRush’s guide (= start post of this thread) carefully and follow the advices.
If you should have further questions/problems, please ask CodeRush for help.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@dmitryBz Because you are using the wrong version. The /GAN option wasn’t an official way to flash a modified BIOS and was removed in version 3.07.00 and up. The tutorial here isn’t up to date. You will find a DOS executable with /GAN option attached.

@Fernando
Could you maybe update the start posting with my attached version which supports /GAN?

@all
Could someone provide the latest AFU version which has /GAN support? This was version 3.06.01.

AFUDOS.rar (148 KB)

I would be able to do it, but it is better, when CodeRush, the author of the start post, does it himself.

@CodeRush :
Will you add a link to the latest AFU version, which supports the /GAN command?

@Fernando
@e.v.o
If the /GAN parameter doesn’t work (shows success but actually makes no difference), Intel FPT should be the last choice.

Off topic:

You used the relative clause wrongly.
The comma before the relative pronoun which means that it is a non-restrictive(non-defining) relative clause. It should be a restrictive(defining) relative clause here, so the comma must be removed.
The word latest is a superlative, in this case you should use that as the relative pronoun instead of which.
So the correct version is:
Will you add a link to the latest AFU version that supports the /GAN command?

But FPT doesn’t work when the SPI flash lock is enabled?

You used the relative clause wrongly.
The comma before the relative pronoun which means that it is a non-restrictive(non-defining) relative clause. It should be a restrictive(defining) relative clause here, so the comma must be removed.
The word latest is a superlative, in this case you should use that as the relative pronoun instead of which.
So the correct version is:
Will you add a link to the latest AFU version that supports the /GAN command?

Great! You (and everyone else!) should do this more often… and you could also have a look at my posts cause i think they also have a few "errors" in them ;>

Sometimes the lock will be removed after restoration from sleep/hibernate mode. Also there may be a hidden BIOS write-protection option in BIOS settings, which can be changed by grub shell setup_var command.

If the above doesn’t work, you have to purchase an external programmer…

when i tried the original method, booting from a freedos usb and using afudos.exe, i got the security verification failed as expected, so i tried with the /gan option, and it said that the /gan option was not recognized. do i need to use a different or older version of afudos or afuwin?

if it helps, my mobo is the asus 970 pro gaming/aura, running 64 bit windows 10.

UPDATE: so i found an older version of afudos, 3.05.04, from http://domoticx.com/bios-tool-ami-flasher-software/

running it with /p /b /k gives a different error saying "unable to start secure flash session."

it does accept /gan parameter but gives an error "ROM file size does not match existing bios size."

UPDATE 2:

the problem was that i needed to backup my existing BIOS rom as it was, then insert the module into that rom, then flash that one with GAN. unfortunately it did not appear to change anything within the BIOS and I still cannot boot from my m.2 drive. :frowning:

Alright, so I have been trying to mod my BIOS for around a day now with no success. I’m not the best with computers and this is the first time i’m trying to do anything to my BIOS so bear with me if there are some rookie mistakes. I am able to mod the BIOS just fine but when I try to flash it with the EZ flash it just gives me a message that “Security verification failed.” So I looked into it and found out that I need to either use the USB flashback method (which my ASUS Z87-K motherboard doesn’t have) or the Aptio flash tool thingy. So I went for the latter option and dowloaded the file. I tried using the AFUDOS first which didn’t work since apaprently it doesn’t work on my PC so I tried the AFUWIN and I got it to start and the command prompt opened. It had the different commands I could use and it said “Press any key to continue” so I did, then I got more commands that I could use and the same “Press any key to continue” so I did that and it just shuts down then leaving me confused. So I went looking for advice on what to do there and I just got that I need to run it as administrator which didn’t work either for me and that’s where I am now. Is there a way to make it work for me or am I in a need of another motherboard that can run the SSD without modding the BIOS? Any sort of help is appreciated.

-Dolmi

Hi,
I am facing to the same situation.
Did you find any solution?

regards

No luck so far.

@Fernando
@CodeRush
Im trying to mod bios on Asus Z87-a but unfortunately with no effect. Is there any other way to "/gan" working ?

@CodeRush

I have an error “Secure Flash Rom verify failed” or “Security verification failed” error with /p /b /k.
Then I tried with /gan key. It succeed. But modifications weren’t applied.

Any ideas to flash modded bios? Except using SPI programmer.

Thanks!

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK

/GAN doesn’t work anymore and this guide should be removed. SPI programmer is the best option here.

@CodeRush
I used AFU 3.6.01 which has /gan support.

I don’t have enough background for SPI programmer.
So I don’t have any options left but to buy new mobo?

The main problems comes with new mobo is they have different sockets. Thus after buying new mobo I’d need to but new CPU, etc =(

You don’t need a new mobo, you need a cheap CH341A-based SPI programmer. If you have enough background to use AFU and read this forum, you’ll be fine with it.
Here’s a guide: [Guide] Using CH341A-based programmer to flash SPI EEPROM