[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

What did you expect from flashing mods? Of course it fails as most of bios security doesnt allow flashing mod files.
Work on a bios region dump with Intel FPT tool from the correct ME11 tools package.
Search on forum for similar user experiencies on flash/unlock Lenovo machines.

EDIT: Stop doing new posts. You can edit it.

@Karti
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Since a thread about the topic “How to flash a modded BIOS” already exists, I have moved your help request into it (and the reply given by @MeatWar).
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

1 Like

I was looking for a way to add Xeon v5 support to the Lenovo ThinkCentre M700 SFF motherboard (H110, LGA1151)

I tried to search it first myself, sadly no other topic related to that motherboard. Likewise, I also tried to make modded bios myself for that, but I failed massively… (Error 18).

Here is the latest official bios from Lenovo site
m05jt93usa.zip (5.0 MB)
( You can also download it from official Lenovo website here )

If there is anything else needed from me, please inform me and I will try to get those things as fast as I can :slight_smile:

And just wanted to ask - is it also possible to add ECC memory support to motherboard like that, or not really?

edit - sorry @Fernando for the mess, still catching whole that forum

@Karti
Your problem has is not about how to modify the BIOS of your Lenovo mainboard, but how to get the modded BIOS properly flashed into the mainboard’s BIOS chip.

1 Like

Ok, I see what I was doing wrong.

Will have to try that AMIAFU tools after weekend when I will have that motherboard back in my hands - is it better to use DOS or WIN version? Or really no difference there?

Thanks for the tips @Fernando of where to go

Wondering if someone could help, I’m trying to update the bios on my asus rampage iv extreme so I can boot from a nvme drive.

I’ve tried multiple 4901 bios mods with the nvme module added in including one I made myself but having no luck

Every bios I try when flashing it via the rear(white) usb port and holding the rog button it just flashes for a couple seconds then stops, if I try it though the bios I get “failed security verification” or some some other error depending on which bios mod I try.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why I can’t flash my bios to a modded version or have a download link on another one I can try but have tried ones that have been verified to work but still no luck

We see the 1rst post, you dont need to post everywhere, understood?

The mod file must be renamed as the original, R4E.CAP (CORRECTED)
Some usb drives are picky, same as some Asus boards… so keep trying all the smallest USB you got.

Mod files in ASUS with USB BFB function is the solution, of course that every mod will fail in EZ Bios, it detects a tampered file and security will not let this files to be flashed, more than obvious and long time know in the mod world.

deleted the other post sorry,

Yeah I was aware it wouldn’t work via the ez bios but after it wasn’t working I tried it that way just to try all options, even tried afuwin but failed through that as well. just thought I’d say all the the options I tried.

I’ve named them “R4E.CAP” is that what you mean?

Forgot to add, two of the bios’ I’ve tried flashed through the rear white port after holding the rog button for 3 seconds, took about 3 minutes to complete but the computer won’t post just displays “00” on the motherboard so have boot in bios 2 and copy that over to 1 for bios 1 to work again

I’ll try agin now with a different usb

Thank you

@Meese @MeatWar
I have moved your last posts into this better matching thread.

Hello im quite actually new to bios “modding” reason why i quote that is since all i am trying to do is to change the serial number of my ROG Strix B660-G Gaming Wifi motherboard
All ive done is just run

AFUWINx64.exe bios.rom /O (as admin this just dumps the bios)
edit the serial number with HxD
AFUWINx64.exe bios.rom /GAN (this is where i get the error code “10 - Error: Unable to load driver.” not really sure how to fix this i got AFUWIN from a onedrive link from this website that i cant paste here and yes the AFUWIN is 64 bit so it should technically work)

@lucky
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Which AFUWIN version did you use? Only old ones up to v3.05.04 do support the " /GAN" command suffix.
Please look into the ASUS mainboard section of the start post. That is the reason why I have moved your help request into this already existing thread.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I get an error
10 - Error: Unable to load driver.
anyone know a fix? i am running Win11 22H2 afuwinx64 did work for some time but now it just doesnt for some reason

Yes i did use v3.05.04 and i got it from this post tried it from the internet archive one too

Damm sir…you have a recent motherboard not an old museum mb, AMI V Core bios, not AMI IV.
The following linked tool is an oficial file.
/GAN cmd as Fernando already told you will not work in modern AFU versions.

Your motherboard model has USB BFB feature, this is the method to use on mod files, as instructed in this guide/thread…to read and not to rush it.

https://f.hubspotusercontent10.net/hubfs/9443417/Support/BIOS_Firmware_Update/Aptio_V_AMI_Firmware_Update_Utility.zip

AMI Support & Additional Sources

I read that and I’m trying to change my motherboards serial number and I’m pretty sure atleast 99% the bios cap/rom file does not pre-include a serial number and just checks something to get my motherboards serial number so my main worry of that way it just is not possible to change the serial number

But im pretty new to this stuff and dont know if its possible as i’ve only seen it be done through AFUWINx64.exe

I wont help no one, to that related action that you want to perform.
Every Asus bios update file doesnt contain specific mb data, only a dump/backup of the bios on a system have it.
Over_n_out.

EDIT: You’re welcome.

Alright I guess ill just test stuff till it works thanks for trying to help.

I got one of these modded Chinese CPUs (QTJ1). The seller sent me the modified BIOS file, but I needed to use UBU to remove the Flash Security, but when it reaches 100%, instead of giving me a “BIOS flashed successfully, press any key to reboot”, it reboots by itself. If I flash an official BIOS (be it older or newer), I do get that prompt.
In the BIOS, it says that it is running the flashed one (I flashed 2.10, and the modded one is based on 2.30), but I still can’t boot with the modified CPU.

I do have a CH341 (actually two), but I never got it to work, even following a lot of tutorials or whatever. I read that maybe the cable might be faulty, and that someone had to get three until it worked (maybe my case), so I can’t really flash it “manually”, other than using Instant Flash.

I will leave the BIOS file here just in case there is something wrong and someone could help me by checking it.
BIOS.

Ask the “Chinese” its his work and his profit…you paid him, we are not “Chinese” sellers.
Did he instructed you to use UBU…dont think so…? Did you asked him for info on the operation to flash his bios_mod file or you simply payed him…
If you cant even read an SPI with the programmer dont bother trying to write it…
Besides direct clip contact, you can uses the PH1 header
or Intel FPT tool if flash descriptor is unlocked…if it boots later or not, your risk and choice only.

Yeah, I’m asking the seller as well.
I couldn’t get any programmer to work, that’s all. I also read it might have something to do with the 5v problem with them. If I can’t read the file, I can’t even write it.
My mobo (Z270 Gaming K4) doesn’t have a PH1 header (unless it’s spelled differently, I can’t find any other similar name on the manual), so maybe FTP is the only other way to do that, I will be checking that.

No…look again and no its not on the manual as is not intended to “common” end user operations.
Without removing the bios version label on the spi you cant identify it right? With an ID you can look for SPI data right? With SPI data found you can see if its a 2.6 or 3,3v right?
With the correct settings then the programmer may work… all this ring a bell for you?

Keep waiting for the Chinese seller for an answer… they are smarter than the buyers, you might get lucky, over_n_out, good luck.