[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

i have a asus a320mk and it uses .cap bios but im certain it uses aptio V but the guide only mentions about aptio IV (probably cuz its old ) so i want to flash a modded bios with rebarDXE driver installed how can i go on about it i figured its safer to ask here than tinker with flashers myself. The aptio IV with gan support dosent work and says unable to load driver while the lastest one from ami (aptio V) version crashes the system whn i try to launch the gui or through cmd

/GAN switch was only for Aptio IV.
AMD platform, so you can’t use Intel FPT.
You can try the AIsuite trick or CH341 programmer as final resource…
even maybe EFI Flashrom…

Do please perform backups before any attempts.

ai suite trick dosent work i tried it that software is garbage itself cant even flash the default bios i dont have a ch341 programmer on hand rn so i would be up to try the efi flashrom

p.s i have taken backups of the original bios , bios dump , as well as the bios update .cap file forom asus site

I know its garbage… irrelevant for what we are trying to achieve, if the mb model supports it…
Maybe @ket can help with as he’s an experienced user on AMD platfforms.

the mobo supports it but it dosent seem to perform a flash no matter what i try . I used the original bios file and it "finished flashing " in 5 seconds and prompted to reboot however the pc just shut down instead of rebooting to finish the flash and i waited for 30 mins before pressing the power button again upon which it just rebooted to the current installed bios

looking forward to @ket 's views on this . Appreciate it

Hi
I created a modified BIOS for my ASUS H610M-K D5 motherboard by reading these topics:

[help needed] unlock show avx512 menu on asus h610m-a d4 - BIOS/UEFI Modding / BIOS Modding Requests - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

[GUIDE] [UPDATE] Usage of AMI’s AptioV UEFI Editor + FPT Flash Method - BIOS/UEFI Modding / BIOS Modding Guides and Problems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

[GUIDE] Grub Fix Intel FPT Error 280 or 368 - BIOS Lock Asus/Other Mod BIOS Flash - BIOS/UEFI Modding / BIOS Modding Guides and Problems - Win-Raid Forum (level1techs.com)

My problem is flashing this BIOS on the Asus motherboard. I tried to use FPT software, but I encounter error 167.

According to the instructions in the topics, I tried to disable the BIOS security registers (like FPRR and BIOS LOCK). But I was unsuccessful, and the lock register (especially BIOS LOCK) is automatically reactivated.

Can anyone help me to flash this bios on my motherboard?

Thanks

@Shahb313
Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!
Did you read the start post of >this< thread before you started this new thread?
If not, I will merge your request into the already existing old thread.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

1 Like

Heya,
recently some clever guys over at GitHub - terminatorul/NvStrapsReBar: Resizable BAR for Turring GTX 1600 / RTX 2000 GPUs released a way for RTX 20 and GTX 16 series users to enable Rebar for potential performance increase in gaming and/or productivity tasks, see article https://videocardz.com/newz/geforce-gtx-16-and-rtx-20-gpus-gain-rebar-support-through-uefi-mod .

Now the problem is not applying the mod to the image, the problem is getting rid of the protection so that the ASROCK board accepts and flashes the bin.

I noticed that the UBU project has been during the years abandoned due to original maintainer’s personal reasons (@SoniX best wishes btw and thx for your work) and picked up by @Michael_Code (tyvm Michael).

This version although new and updated still does not remove the ASROCK protection from the binary for 400 Series chipsets (sais so in the terminal session).

I tried to “pass the file through UBU” anyway and as expected, a hex diff afterwards shows zero difference from original to processed. And ofc it shouldn’t since both files have the same checksums.
My bios version is 8.01 Beta AGESA Combo V2 PI 1.2.0.8
The procedure to apply the NvStrapsReBar.ffs is pretty standard - UEFITool_0.28.0 load, seek the GUID 3C1DE39F-D207-408A-AACC-731CFB7F1DD7, scroll down, add the ffs to the end, save the bios file, etc. so it’s nothing out of the ordinary.

It just won’t flash with asrock’s instant flash out of the box.

I hope somebody will know something that can help me and others with the same board. Thank you in advance

1 Like

@superpower
Welcome to the Win-Raud Forum!
The ASRock “Instant Flash” BIOS tool doesn’t work with a modded BIOS (no matter how “tiny” the modification was).
The solution is layed down >here<.
By the way - there was no reason to start a new thread for this request.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Apologies, I didn’t know.

To the guide specific for ASRock motherboards:
As I said previously, i got the latest ubu tool UBU_1_79_17.7z, got the UBU files updated in March 2023.rar, loaded my modded bios file, started ubu.bat, loaded the file, enter, 0, 0, 1 and then, just like magic

[…]
6. After having hit any key, you will find the modded BIOS, but now without the “Security Flash Check”, within the UBU folder.
[…]
b) that the UBU tool found it and was able to removed it (not possible with BIOSes of the newest ASRock mainboards). :sweat_smile:
[…]

The instructions themselves say that it will not work on newer boards, this 400 series included.

Therefore, I hope somebody has a solution for this, unless of course, there’s more rtfm-ing to be done in ages old threads with thousands of replies.

And if not possible yet, then only SPI programmer, we don’t have the FPT alternative here as Intel…this is AMD platform.

@superpower
Since I had no problems to get a modded BIOS properly flashed into my ASRock X570 Pro4 mainboard by using the “Flashrom v1.2 Utilities”, it may work with your ASRock mainboard as well.
Try it and report here about the outcome.
Good luck!

well, something happened and it did not manage to finish flashing : C:\>flashrom.exe -p internal -r backup.bin[ this worked flawlessly ]apply mo - Pastebin.com
pc still powered on, but seems unresponsive, keyboard input does nothing. I have a separate usb drive fat32 with the original ASROCK X470 Taichi bios on it but this board does not specifically say anything about a bios flashback.

what are my options ? (ps the flash drive is new… there shouldn’tt have been any read errors, it still baffles me…)

@superpower
It is a pity, that the flashing of the modded BIOS didn’t work. According to Pastebin details the Flashrom tool was obviously not able to calibrate the delay loop, but tried nevertheless to continue (I don’t know why).
Since I am not an expert regarding the recovery of a failed SPI flash, I cannot really help you myself.
On the other hand you have stored a complete backup of the BIOS Chip content and should be able to get your mainboard working again (e.g. by using a CH341A USB Programmer).
Good luck - finger crossed!

Help, I’ve bricked my motherboard (and how I managed to recover it) - Hardware / Motherboards - Level1Techs Forums

1 Like

To my surprise it rebooted just fine… apparently that crash didn’t happen after or during the flashing but during the reading of the rom to be flashed. Very weird but I am very grateful. Got another usb drive formatted with rufus and flashrom worked perfectly fine this time.
Thanks @Fernando for your help and good wishes :grin:.

Resizeable bar is enabled on this X470 + RTX 2080 and it shows an average of 5-10% improvement so there’s that.

1 Like

ty so much, I bookmarked this

@superpower
Thanks for your feedback - I am happy as well, that you finally succeeded by following my advice.
This is an important information for other users, who want to flash a modified AMI Aptio V BIOS into their modern ASRock mainboard.
Your report about your experiences trying to update the Intel LAN EFI modules by using the updated UBU tool is very interesting, but has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Please remove the related part of your post here and insert it into the much better matching “UBU Discussion” thread (or create a new one within the “BIOS Modules” Category).

1 Like

Hi im trying to add ReBar ffs module (by terminatorul) but i cant flash modified BIOS because of some security check (invalid bios image @ 95% while scanning) . My motherbaord revision is 1.5 and oldest BIOS for this one already have AGESA 1.2.0.7. Is there any way to bypass this protection?

@euranoo Welcome to the Win-Raid Forum!
You forgot to mention the manufacturer and model of your mainboard within your help request post, but according to its native title it is a Gigabyte B550 AORUS Elite V2 and has an AMI UEFI BIOS.
Since your request seems to match perfectly the topic of this already existing thread, I have moved your post into it.
Questions: How did you insert the ReBar.ffs module into the BIOS and how did you try to flash the modded BIOS?
Please look into the first post of this thread and read carefully the text about how to flash amodded Gigabyte BIOS. If you should have additional questions or any problem while following the advices, please post them into this thread.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)