[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

I have ECS board that has .CAP image. BIOS has no inbuilt flash tool and uses AFUDOS.exe or AFUWINGUIP.exe
UBU has modifed the stock BIOS image (Intel ucode update)

Edit: I think I need to use backup / mod /flashback? Can only progress when I have access to the board.

@winactive :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Since your request about how to properly flash a modded ECS mainboard BIOS has nothing to do with the UBU Tool (which only can modify the BIOS), I have moved it into this much better matching thread.
Now to your question:
Please read the start post of this thread carefully.
AFAIK ECS mainboard users have no problem to flash the modded UEFI BIOS the usual way, if the BIOS name (incl. its extension) is the same as the original BIOS.

Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you!

Hello everyone!
Just a question.
Is it safe to use the UBU Toolkit + MMTool to update a BIOS from my ASUS P8P67 LE in order to have the microcode UpToDate ?

@breakpoint :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Flashing a modded BIOS is never absolutely safe, but the method you are going to use is very safe, if you follow our guides.
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thank you Fernando for your quick answer.
I have another question related to my BIOS.
I have SLICed the original BIOS with the program made by Andyp from MyDigitalLife. Do you know any existing conflict with that kind of BIOSes and the UBU+MMtool method?

@breakpoint :
As long as you present a correctly pre-modded BIOS file (with the exact size of the original BIOS), the UBU tool will do its work properly.

Hello Fernando:
Thank you for the Guide(s).
It worked for me as expected.
My PC
ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU- Intel i5-2500 Sandy Bridge
BIOS 3801
OS Windows 7
As a result of this, now I have an Slower computer
Could be the time of a replacement

@Fernando :
I had no luck. I got to an error "18 Error Unable to start a Secure Flash Session"

I think I may have not renamed the file to match the original. I can’t always have the time to see these mistakes when there is a time pressure. I will update when I am successful.

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post replaced by directly addressing (to save space)

THX its has also worked on my P8Q77-M2, everything else failed.

@Fernando For newer Gigabyte motherboards with an EFIFlash.exe date modified of 24/01/2017 in the BIOS zip file, use this efiflash from @Mov_AX_0xDEAD : Flashing Gigabyte while avoiding “Invalid BIOS image” (2) I’ve personally tested it on my Z370 board and it works perfectly to flash modded BIOS.

I failed at the point of a failed security check repeatedly. Trying to flash it via the ASUS Flashback Utility on my P8Z77-V DELUXE the blue LED-button blinked a few times, then remained constant but no flashing happened. Does anyone have an idea what I could do to make it work or how I’d be able to circumvent this security check?

@Starhowl
i have also a ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe mboard. Do use Flashback button method using a small USB2.0 key properly FAT32, MBR structure formatted. It does work 100% sure !

@Fernando ,
Is there somewhere a Guide Line on how to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS Aptio 5 for MSI machines ?
Who can help me ?
I have modded (via UBU tool, UEFITool) original BIOS for a MSI portable PC without ‘flash back button’.
The current interface offered by MSI is thru UEFI, but does seem accept [“Secure Flash check” error message] only official MSI BIOS version and not the modded ones I have to test.

@100PIER :
>This< guide has been written by our BIOS Guru CodeRush.
You should better ask him. I am not an an expert regarding your problem.

Thanks Fernando, I do contact CodeRush.

@100PIER - AFU and Intel FPT both should be able to flash MSI Aptio V BIOS, be sure to use -savemac when flashing with Intel FTP
And always create a backup and verify it is in tact and OK before you do any flashing, so you have copy of your mac and serials etc.

Commands to backup BIOS
fptw -d backup.bin
afuwin.exe backupBIOSname.bin /0

@Lost_N_BIOS
Thank you for your reply.
As I am very new on AFU and Intel FPT tools I am discovering I will need your help and experience.

The current offered interface to update the MSI portable PC BIOS is thru the UEFI BIOS menu. I don’t see any ‘flash back button’ on MS GS63 Stealth 8RE W10 PC.
When submitting, under the MSI UEFI BIOS menu, the modded BIOS produced via UBU tool I get a ‘secure error’ message, and the modded BIOS can’t be flashed.

1) So, do you think that modding properly via AFU tool the already modded BIOS file, the MSI BIOS menu should accept the modded-modded BIOS file ? or do I have to use another procedure ?

2) If I assume the modded-modded BIOS file flash is possible, but does not start or is not working, how can I re-install the original BIOS if the BIOS menu is no longer offered ?
I am lost.

Sorry for my ignorance, but at the moment I don’t understand the procedure/concept for flashing MSI BIOS and would like avoid to brick this recent machine.

I am familiar with ASUS BIOS flashing procedur (very easy via the flash back button), but I discover that for MSI it is not the same simplicity…

Flash back is Asus. AFU does not modify any BIOS, only flashes BIOS. Yes, if you modify the BIOS you have to use another method besides BIOS built in flashing method or you get security issue.

For MSI, if you have a bad flash, you need CH341A flash programmer to recover, and either jumper cables with that or a PCB adapter like this one (MSI JSPI External Flashrom module)

MSI-JSP1.png

It’s available from this seller on ebay, send him message and ask for MSI JSPI External Flashrom module set - https://www.ebay.com/itm/271313593344
You can either use this with CH341A programmer, or the one linked above from ebay (Better, but more $$)

There is also this guide for MSI recovery
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=174985.0
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=116721.0

You should be able to flash modified BIOS with AFU from DOS, but you may need to use /GAN switch (and older ES versions AFU) as outlined in the guide Fernando linked above.

If you are unsure if your BIOS mod is OK, upload your BIOS here and we can check to see if it looks OK. What all mods did you do to the BIOS?

@Lost_N_BIOS
Thanks for your clear reply. About the CH341A flash programmer method I don’t see how I can use it.
I have no access to the BIOS component because if I open the PC portable the warranty does no longer apply.
Moreover I don’t understand on how does work the BIOS component reprogrammation.
Practically, do we have to unsolder the current component on the motherboard (if accessible) ?, install it into the programmer (if compatible) ?, program it using another PC ? (under W10 interface ?), resold the component on the original machine and then do test.
For me all these manipulations are very risky and out of my skill, and does break the MSI warranty of this recent machine. It is not doable for me.
I do prefer, if possible, a pure ‘software’ BIOS recovering solution working 100%, and if it is not possible with MSI notebook it is dommageable for me.

The 2 mods I have done on the original BIOS are minor update (via UBU tool), and a major mod (via UEFITool) to replace the original AMI NVMe BIOS module with the “NvmExpressDxe_4” NVMe BIOS module.
The purpose of the NVMe modding is to try if NvmExpressDxe_4 does fix the severe performance issue I detected with this NVMe machine equipped with a Samsung NVMe PM981 512GB.
Here is attached the zipped modded BIOS file.

E16K5IMS.zip (5.08 MB)