[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

@Fernando
Afuwin fails.

C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\Mod>AFUWINx64.EXE IMAGEFB.CAP
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| AMI Firmware Update Utility v3.05.04 |
| Copyright (C)2013 American Megatrends Inc. All Rights Reserved. |
46 - Error: Problem getting flash information.

C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\Mod>AFUWINx64.EXE IMAGEFB.ROM /GAN
| AMI Firmware Update Utility v3.05.04 |
| Copyright (C)2013 American Megatrends Inc. All Rights Reserved. |
46 - Error: Problem getting flash information.

Wile googling, I found something - "Engineers version of AFUDOS":
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-H...shable-AMI-Bios

I don't know if I should give it a try...

@glorifyday :
Since I am not an expert regarding your specific problem to get a modded BIOS successfully flashed into a Lenovo PC, I have moved our recent discussion into this better matching thread.

@Lost_N_BIOS :
Can you help gloryfyday?
You can find the link to the original Lenovo BIOS within >this< post.

Hi Fernando, thanks for your support, I think where the problem lies now, I am not able to flashback my bios on my Asus Formula V Maximus, as you mentioned the blinking process needs to come to and end and in my case it’s just 4 blinks and then the motherboard led is stable red, so it seems that begins the process but it gets stuck, I am trying with 256 mb, 512 mb 4 gb, 16 gb and 32 gb pendrives formatted in FAT, FAT32, normal format, quick format, via windows, via diskpart, but no luck so far, I’ve seen that the bios chip might be faulty and that I can aquire one via Ebay, I’ve also seen that I need to unplug everthing from the motherboard except one ram slot and the cpu, but still no luck so far. I’ll let you know of my progress, thanks again!

Hi again, now I have been able to flash the bios using a standard bios file 1903 not modded using the ez flash bios tool, so the issue is in the usb flashback method, I remember that a user called SVEM was able to use a Asus Suite via windows where he disabled the Security option, maybe that’s my best shot, but all the setups i’ve tried in windows 10 are not compatible, not even using the compatibility option. I think we’re close.

You should use Fat32 pen drives partionned MBR. (never GPT) f

@dustbrother :
You should keep in mind, that the ASUS USB Flashback mechanism is very picky regarding the in-use USB Flash Drive.
According to the reports I got from ASUS USB Flashback users I suspect, that ca. 99% of the flashing failures are caused by a not accepted USB Flash Drive.
My tip: Get some different, but small sized USB 2.0 Flash drives and try them until you find one, which is accepted.

@dustbrother :
Since your problems to get the ASUS USB Flashback feature working have nothing to do with the topic "NVMe Support for old Systems", I have moved the recent discussion into this better matching thread.

Hi Fernando, now I have been able to flash the bios via windows using the EZ update windows method, i haven’t gotten any errors, but still when I go into the bios I cannot see PATA devices, here’s my modded bios, I have ussed the MMTool program and inserted NvmExpressDxe_4 file.

M5G.zip (4.49 MB)

@glorifyday - There is this you can try, from the description it looks like it applies to your system. If it updates the BIOS, let me know, I will repackage with your mod BIOS instead
[Request] ThinkCentre M93p SFF PRO (type 10A8) - BIOS: FBKTD5A - NVMe bios mod

If that does not work, or you do not want to try it, check your board ALL OVER, look for 2 or 3 pin header (may have jumper on it, may not), that has label near it that says FD, FDO, Service, ME, etc.
If you find this jumper, let me know. Be sure to look above and below memory slot tabs too, sometime jumper hide there and you can’t see due to the thumb tabs.

The only way I suggest is with FPT or get a flash programmer, if the above BIOS package does not work and you do not have a jumper
FPT flash may not be possible, and you will need to first dump BIOS with FPT, then edit, then reflash (DO NOT use the file you have now with FPT!!)
Some errors you can get around, others you cannot, but I can’t tell you what is possible and what’s not or what to try until you attempt to flash with FPT and show me the error
Here’s how to do that, remember, none of this has anything to do with the mod BIOS file you have now, or anything from the stock package. With FPT you ONLY modify and flash your FPT Dumped BIOS.
FPT can brick your board in one click, do not jump ahead and try anything other than what’s mentioned here, wait for further instructions.

Check BIOS main page and see if ME FW version is shown, if not then download HWINFO64 and on the large window on left side, expand motherboard and find ME area, inside that get the ME Firmware version.
Once you have that, go to this thread and in the section “C” download the matching ME System Tools Package (ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder. Select that Win folder, hold shift and press right click, choose open command window here (Not power shell).
At the command prompt type the following command and send me the created file to modify >> FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error, if you do show me image of the command entered and the error given >> FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin

* Edit -

@dustbrother if your system is modern enough to have USB Flashback, I have to assume you probably mistakenly flashed the stock BIOS with EZ flash, modern EZ flash never allows mod BIOS flashing.
If you meant Ai Suite trick method, I’ve never seen that work, nor have I personally been able to make it happen. Rarely seen anyone show success, usually either fail outright or it appears to work but only stock BIOS or nothing was actually flashed

Your BIOS is inside “unsigned” capsule, this is why it would not flash with USB Flashback. Here, I fixed it, now you can flash it with USB Flashback
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…449832225952251

@dustbrother :
I seriously doubt, that it is possible to get a modded *.CAP file for an ASUS mainboard properly flashed by using the standard EZ tool.

Yes, this ^^ I posted a reply for him as an edit above @Fernando

Hi @Fernando ,

At least it let’s me flash it without errors, just removing the official bios before clicking on the flash button and putting the modded file, but again when in bios I am not seeing any PATA devices, I can see my 970 in windows now though. Please see attached images of the process. Maximus V Formula I7 3770k

2019-09-05 12_56_59-ShadowForm.png

2019-09-05 13_03_11-ShadowForm.png

2019-09-05 13_04_14-BarGadget.png

2019-09-05 13_04_51-ShadowForm.png

Where did you seek for it?
It may only be shown within the list of bootable devices, if the inserted NVMe EFI module had been loaded while booting. That means, that either CSM has been disabled or - if CSM is working - loading of Storage Controllers related EFI Option ROM modules has been enabled.

@Lost_N_BIOS : @dustbrother :
Just do avoid any confusion: The archive with the BIOS module, which has been modded by dustbrother and fixed by Lost_N_BIOS, has been misleadingly named "Asus MAXIMUS-V-GENE-dustbrother-Fixed", but contains in reality the latest BIOS 1903 for the ASUS MAXIMUS V Formula mainboard.

@Lost_N_BIOS
Thanks a lot for your answer. You did scare me a bit ;-). I don’t want to brick my mainboard, so I will rethink the whole thing…

Maybe I will rather turn to some method of a boot manager on a bootable drive and the system on NMVe drive…

I have already tested the DUET/REFIND method successfully, but I would prefer the manager to be installed on a fixed SSD SATA Drive rather than on a USB stick - I hope this is possible. I will ask in the appropriate thread.

@Fernando @dustbrother - sorry for any confusion, I used GENE as source for the signed capsule, based on the mod BIOS dustbrother had originally named for USB Flashback (M5G), since he didn’t mention model I simply went by the name he had used. The BIOS itself is whatever dustbrother uploaded in post #508.
I checked his uploaded BIOS just now, and he uploaded a modified Formula BIOS, so this is where the confusion came from, he has the wrong flashback name originally, which I didn’t double check and just carried on using, assuming he had that part correct at least.
So that is two reasons why it wasn’t USB Flashback flashing for him, incorrect USB Flashback name, and unsigned capsule.

M5F.CAP = Formula USB Flashback name
M5G.CAP = Gene USB Flashback name
Please name the file appropriately per whatever board you have dustbrother.
The BIOS is the one you uploaded, if you uploaded the incorrect modified BIOS for your model, you will need to make a new BIOS from the correct models base BIOS, and then upload and I will fix the signature.

To avoid further confusion, here is a new one in a properly named folder, and a proper USB Flashback name for use with Formula board.
This BIOS is modified by dustbrother, and is a ASUS MAXIMUS V Formula BIOS
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…699791244542178

Dustbrother - see my post a #509, it didn’t flash your mod BIOS, it only acted like it and flashed the stock BIOS it already had in memory/temp, or flashed nothing and just acted like it flashed
The BIOS I posted above will flash via USB Flashback for you, if you can flash stock BIOS via USB Flashback with your current USB Stick you’re trying to use.

@glorifyday - order CH341A ($2.50) + SOIC8 test clip with cable ($3.50) and then you don’t have to worry about bricking any systems BIOS ever again, and you can easily put on any mod BIOS you want, any time
Let me know if you need linked examples of these on ebay.

Thanks in adance, I would appreciate it.
I have never gone so deep. Would you recommend me some tutorial how to start using it?

anyone know how to flash bios mod brand ECS Z77H2-A2X?i try AFUWIN cant,after flash original bios and move to mod bios it say Error: ROM file size does not match existing BIOS size…can anyone help me?

did you double check the file size before flashing?

i check already and file size are same,whats the problem ya sir?please help