[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

Personally I do not, the only new AMD chipset supported version was The Stilt 1.1 one, maybe asking him if he kindly compile a 1.2 version he will do it. I do not have any experience on compiling, only did it twice a couple years ago when I was on Mining experience, following a step by step guide.

diskcopy.dll is a .DLL file missing on Win10 to allow formatting a bootable USB stick.

Diskcopy.dll is useless if youā€™re planning to use Rufus, which, indeed, is able to make a proper bootable usb stick, or am I missing something ?

The @The Stiltā€™s version is the flashrom 1.1 compiled DOS version which supports the eeprom used on AMD chipset motherboards, I was asking (and Iā€™ll ask also him)
for 1.2 due to a wider eeprom support than the old version (1.1).

Anyway Iā€™ve used it on my Rampage V Extreme motherboards and it works like a charm.

Only one thing must be said : flash descriptors region must be set on eeprom to FF (read/write access to the SPI eeprom), while if bios has the "Production Flash Descriptors"
flashrom, like any other flashing tool, will not be able to dump/erase/write any info from/to SPI eeprom.

@Sylar76 :
The file diskcopy.dll is required for the creation of a bootable DOS USB stick. Look >here<.

@Rabanik - Put system to S3 sleep for one minute (be sure itā€™s one full minute, or more) and then wake it up and try to do the BIOS region flash back again.
If that does not work, you will need flash programmer. I can send you tool that may be able to bypass error 28, but itā€™s risk to brick your board too so not ideal to try unless you have programmer (in which case, no need to try it)

Or, you can do pinmod as shown at E.1 here - [Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing
If you do that, do not reboot or youā€™ll have to do it again. After that is done, and you boot to windows, dump FD and send to me to edit, or see section B of thread above and edit your FD to unlock all regions per the second spoiler image 1 or 2, whichever matches your FD
Dump FD >> FPTw.exe -desc -d fd.bin
Write modified FD (only possible after pinmod success) >> FPTw.exe -desc -f fdmodified.bin

@aGeoM :
Today I have updated the chapter about ASRock Mainboard BIOSes within start post of this thread.
Can you please have a look into the short guide I have written about the usage of the Flashrom tool and give me your comment?

@Fernando
Looks very good, and simple to understand. Mission completed .
@Sylar76
Sorry man I was on mobile phone so I just did a kind of rushed replay and have forgotten the MS-DOS USB boot. About compiling flashrom 1.2 I understood quite well what you are asking for, and what I wanted to say was I can not do it as my knowledge resources do not allow me to do it. The only viable way that occurs me is going to the source of the compiled flashrom 1.1, The Stilt. For the ones like me who always have been on AMD side (the Rampage IV extreme on my sig is the only exception because I literally had picked up it from the trash with cpu and managed to bring it to live) know very well all his work on AMD platform in various forms: Win7 OS builds for K15ā€™s cpu, memory straps for several GPUā€™s, Motherboards/GPUs BIOS mods, applications for reading memory configurations, wellā€¦ it is countless the support he did and still do for the community without asking nothing in return, saying that I believe if someone ask him to compile flashrom 1.2 he will do it if he have the time for it. But there are a lot of talent people here at Win-Raid forum one of them are 2 posts before mine :slight_smile: and hopefully they can manage the same.

@Lost_N_BIOS
Hi,
I tried the S3 sleeping mode in Windows 7 and I got the same Error 28. The BIOS has only some S5 mode for enablingā€¦
I also found a service manual with some service jumpers. I described them 1, 2, 3 and 36
jumper number 1 has 3 pins: I tried to set another jumper position and I got the error 28 again. It is some E15 Boot Block recovery header and according to this it should be flash the BIOS from USB stick somehow?
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Pā€¦rd/td-p/5705488

I tried to short jumper number 2 and flashing process ended with an Error 7
I tried to short jumper number 3 and flashing process ended with the Error 28 again
I also tried to short jumpers 2+3 3 and flashing process ended with with the Error 7 again
I tried to change the position jumper 36 and the PC did not start. The power button flashes in red color and I hear beeping

Thank you a lot.
Daniel

FMB-1102_service_jumpers_1.JPG

FMB-1102_service_jumpers_2.JPG

FMB-1102_service_jumpers_jumper_2_flashing_error.jpg

@Rabanik - Donā€™t enable S5, use S3 (leave S5 disabled), and then use ā€œSleepā€ button in windows, not Hibernate.

36 only is what you need, put rest in default position. Put jumper on there, reboot twice and then do flash again from windows.
If you cannot get it, then you need flash programmer.

@aGeoM :
According to my recent tests the Flashrom tool may neither need a patched old Rufus version nor the diskcopy.dll file.
I just have done a backup of the meanwhile updated BIOS Region after having created a new bootable USB Flash Drive by using the currently latest unpatched Rufus v3.10 and choosing the option "FREEDOS" instead of "DOS" and it worked!
Look here:

Flashrom.jpg

Can you confirm this find?

@LOST_N_BIOS
I disabled S5 mode in BIOS.
I tried to reflash the dumped BIOS back after sleeping mode but I got the Error 7 message again.
So there are only two choices left. Flashing using of jumper 36 or the programator which I do not have.
Tell me please why the dumped BIOS (11 468 600bytes) differs when I compare it with the original one (16 777 216 bytes) downloaded from HP sites? Both versions in my PC or the downloade one are the same latest version J61_0396
And when I successed with flashing after sleeping mode. Which BIOS to modify for NVME support? The dumped or original from HP sites?

Edit:
When I put short the BIOS jumper 36 and rebooted twice and I got during flashing the Error 28 message again :frowning:

thank you

procedure to flash tuf x570 gaming plus no work for me

@pipes80 :
Which procedure with which tool did you use and what happened?

all three

@pipes80 :
The problem is the size (32MB) and the structure of the BIOS.
The only tool I know to be able to get a modded 32MB BIOS properly flashed is the Flashrom one. I am pretty sure, that it will work with 32bit ASUS BIOSes as well.
You can find my guide within the ASRock mainboards section of the start post. You can use it at own risk.
Why do you want to update a freshly released BIOS?

@pipes80
Did you remove capsule header from you bios? You should post some SS or photo for more information.

@Fernando
Nice find. It seams to be working, so less hassle for creating the boot from USB.

wich version download? flashrom for dos or is indifferent?

@pipes80 :
Did you read my guide about the usage of the Flashrom tool? You will find everything within the "Flashrom Utilities", which is attached to the start post.

Thanks bug no work that procedure too

@pipes80 :
What means "not work that procedure"?
What have you done and what happened? Did you get any error message? If yes, which one?

no take error, only recover bios after boot and microcode cpu itā€™s same bios original version