[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

@Rabanik :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Since your problem obviously is how to get your modded BIOS properly flashed, I have moved your help request into this already existing thread.
Unfortunately I cannot help you myself, because I don’t have any experience with HP BIOSes, but I hope, that someone else (@Lost_N_BIOS ?) will give you a tip.
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

P.S.: I have deleted the other thread, which had been started by you, because it had the same content and title.

@Rabanik - You need either flash programmer, or to finishing testing out this FPT method we discussed here for Z420 - BIOS Mod Requested for HP Z420 with LGA 2011 Socket, Intel C602 Chipset and HP Motherboard

Dump BIOS region via FPT using method below, then at Step #2 when you get error 368 see above work around. If you need me to do steps #1-5 of the guide for you, send me your original biosregion dump (upload to file host, post link here but break the URL like MSN . com)

If you have already modified the BIOS in ANY way, you will need to re-flash it back to factory defaults using factory method (NOT FPT)!!!

If you do not have Intel ME drivers installed, install them now from your system driver download page, then start over here after reboot.
Check your BIOS’ main page and see if ME FW version is shown. If not then > DOWNLOAD HWINFO64 HERE <

Once HWINFO is open, look at the large window on the left side, expand motherboard, and find the ME area.
Inside that section is the ME Firmware version. Take note of the version. (ie. write it down or get a screenshot)

Once you have that, go to the thread linked below, and in the section “C.2” find and download the matching ME System Tools Package for your system.
(ie if ME FW version = 10.x get V10 package, if 9.0-9.1 get V9.1 package, if 9.5 or above get V9.5 package etc)
> DOWNLOAD " ME System Tools " packages HERE <

Once downloaded, inside you will find Flash Programming Tool folder, and then inside that a Windows or Win/Win32 folder (NOT x64).
Highlight that Win/Win32 folder, then hold shift and press right click. Choose “open command window here” (Not power shell! >> * See Registry file below *).

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

((If “open command window here” does not appear, look for the “Simple Registry Edit” below…))

Now you should be at the command prompt.
You are going to BACKUP the factory un-modified firmware, so type the following command:
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin "

>> Attach the saved "biosreg.bin ", placed into a compressed ZIP/RAR file, to your next post!!! <<

Right after you do that, try to write back the BIOS Region dump and see if you get any error(s).
Command: " FPTw.exe -bios -f biosreg.bin "
^^ This step is important! Don’t forget! ^^

If you get an error, reply to this post with a screenshot of it, OR write down the EXACT command entered and the EXACT error given.

Here is a SIMPLE REGISTRY EDIT that adds “Open command window here as Administrator” to the right click menu, instead of Power Shell
Double-click downloaded file to install. Reboot after install may be required
> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD CMD PROMPT REGISTRY ENTRY <

If the windows method above does NOT work for you…
Then you may have to copy all contents from the Flash Programming Tool \ DOS folder to the root of a Bootable USB disk and do the dump from DOS
( DOS command: " FPT.exe -bios -d biosreg.bin " )

I have read that threads but it looks like that it is out of my knowledges :slight_smile: But I have flashed my old AVreceiver via RS-232 cable and DSPs using of burned CD by optical cable… It was something :slight_smile:
OK. Let me know first if my BIOS was modded correctly. Because I do not see the Pad-file "folders". See the UEFITool.JPG above.
If I understand it well the BIOS is protected and there is no way to flash it using of DOSFlash came with official BIOS.
What I need first please? There is a lot of informations and links for FTP utilites do not work etc.
Please step by step guide. Thank you.

Hi all,

I have a problem with flashing AMI EFI APTIO V5 BIOS in my BRIX system on Skylake (GB-BSi5HT-6200).

Now I have F11 BIOS flashed and want to return to F7, which provides higher performance for CPU and NVMe SSD.
I tried both AfuEfix64.efi (5.12.03) or AFUWINGUIx64.EXE for flashing, but get a error message 18 (secure flash ROM verify fail). I also used options /capsule and /recovery with no success.

It seems ROM layout changed when I updated to F11 from previous BIOS. How could I forcefully flash od F7 BIOS?

The second question is how to flash modified BIOS after unlocking Setup options with AMI BCP (v5.0.1)?
Error is the same (0x18) but without ROM layout changed.

As far as I understand old /gan option do not work or has a replacement in AFU v5. Is it possible to disable security from UEFI Shell command?

P.S. Sorry If I missed similar solved thread.
------------------------------------

My problem is resolved.
Interestingly Intel FTP from Intel CSME System Tools v11 package could easily flash any of my BIOS version, even BCP edited.

Issue with AMI AFU Error 18: Secure flash rom verify fail is overridden by use FPT and command fpt.efi -savemac -f image.bin and it’s works!

Why I missed that in the Guide? …
Sorry for newbing

AfuEfix64.efi.jpg

@Fernando

If you set the command:

afuwinx64 /?

Does such a keya /ATR appear in the Options list?

@SoniX :
Yes, it does, but it obviously doesn’t help.
After having executed the command “afuwinx64 backup.rom /O /ATR” I got a 16MB sized backup.rom file again.
Here is the list of the command options and suffixes, which are shown by the currently latest AFUWINx64 tool v5.12.03.2074:

AFUWINx64 Options.png

@Fernando

This Option is only for writing data to the chip.
But without the means of full recovery, can’t check how it works. What and where to write to the chip if use a 32MB file

By the way, I remember that you already tried to flash BIOS using the AFU, but I can not find your message about it.

@SoniX :
Until now I have only tried to flash a modded BIOS onto my new ASRock X570 chipset system by using the BIOS own “Instant Flash” option. Result: It always failed.
Since this is the PC I am working with, I didn’t want to risk a broken mainboard by using an absolutely uncertain procedure.

@aGeoM :
Hi Paulo,
your recent advices regarding the usage of the flashrom tool are very interesting and promising for me.
It would be fine, if you would take the time and post

1. the links to the source files/utilities, which are required for the “Flashrom” method and
  2. a short step-by-step guide about the usage of the related tools, especially
    • how to get the complete BIOS Region dumped and
    • how to get a modded BIOS properly flashed into the SPI chip of modern AMD chipset systems without any “USB Flashback” feature.

Thanks in advance!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernado

Hello Dieter
No problem:

1- Links: Flashrom Wiki; @TheStilt’s original post @OCN
2-

2.1- Preparing USB stick:

2.2- Dumping BIOS

2.3- Modding BIOS

2.4- Flashing Modded BIOS

EDIT:
Uploading files.

Ok it is done, was my first video demonstration, hope this will help you and others, credits go to @The Stilt and all guys evolved in Rufus + Flashrom development.

@aGeoM :
Thank you very much for this phantastic tutorial. That helps a lot!
As soon as I have the required time, I will test it with my X570 chipset system.
Can you please attach the diskcopy.dll file, which is usable with Win10 x64 v2004?

Yes, sure.

diskcopy.zip (574 KB)

@aGeoM :
With your help I just have successfully dumped the complete 32.768 KB sized BIOS Region of my mainboard’s SPI chip - thanks!

@aGeoM :

That is why I am still unsure whether I should flash the UBU modded BIOS by using the Flashrom tool. How can I avoid any negative impact on the hidden BIOS entries (MAC address, SN etc.)?
On the other hand I have now the complete dump of my mainboard’s specific BIOS Region, which contains all these secret personal data. If I use a copy of this dumped BIOS Region as source for the UBU work and flash it by using the Flashrom tool, the personal data should be completely restored after the erasure of the BIOS Region.
What is your opinion?

@Fernado

You should be fine, if you use the dumped BIOS, I had put to my self the same question when I did the video demonstration before click "enter" for flash procedure, but I have an backup data of my system, and can be inserted on ASUS BIOSES with FD44Editor, so it was an calculated risk. Now I am sure that the data is also programmed since it is on dumped BIOS.

A side note: When I did the mod I (Part 3) I used AMIBCP tool on dumped BIOS without spiting it is because I am on Ryzen Zen+ (2700X) and BCP only edits the first 16MB, so if you or someone reading have a Zen2 CPU it is necessary to split the BIOS and edit the second half, then combine every thing for flashing.

Edit:

On ASUS BIOSES It is possible to find and edit/replace by text searching ASUSBKP$.

@aGeoM :
Today I was brave enough to risk a bricked BIOS and flashed the UBU modded BIOS into the SPI chip of my ASrock X570 Pro4 by using the Flashrom tool.
Result: Success on first try! My PC is still alive!
Here is the proof, that I really have done it:

Flashrom success.jpg

Tomorrow I will do a backup of the current (updated) BIOS by using the same tool and then compare the original and the updated BIOS.
Thanks again for your support!
Dieter

@Fernando
That is a good news, I am glad to be helpful. The doors are open to take the most of your board. Again credits goes to @TheStilt I just point it out.
Be well Dieter, and happy modding.

Paulo

@Lost_N_BIOS
Here is the dump of my BIOS from HP Z620 via FPTw utility and an error message when I tried to write the dumped bios back.
Thank you a lot.

BIOS_modding.zip (3.7 MB)

@aGeoM :
Hello Paulo,
meanwhile I have dumped the modded BIOS Region of my mainboard and was able to verify, that all BIOS modifications, which were done by the UBU tool, are now effective for my AMD X570 chipset system.
>Here< you can find my related UBU report, which I have addressed to SoniX.
As soon as I have the required time I will try to add a written guide about how to use the Flashrom method to the start post of this thread. That will be the place to give credits to the Flashrom tool makers, to The Stilt and (last but not least) to you. Without you I would never have tried to execute this interesting BIOS flashing and recovering method.
Thanks again!
Dieter

@aGeoM

It would be nice to compile latest flashrom (1.2) for DOS (like the 1.1 version). Do you know anyone being able to do it please ?

Here is the source code : https://github.com/flashrom/flashrom/releases/tag/v1.2

Furthermore the diskcopy.dll what is supposed to do ?