[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

@pipes80 :
So has the flashing procedure been successful and without any error message?
If yes, how did you check, that the updated CPU Microcodes haven’t been used after having flashed the modded BIOS?

Can Watch in BIOS cpu configurazione or hwinfo

@pipes80 :
If you have followed my guide and replaced the stock BIOS Region by the updated one, it seems impossible to me, that the CPU now still uses the Microcodes of the stock BIOS.
Are you really sure, that the flashing procedure was successful?

@ Lost_N_BIOS
Hi,
I have successed with service jumper ON of Flash Descriptor for dumping and writting it back.
I am attaching the dumped BIOS as well because I think that my mod for NVME support failed. I have used both utilities UEFITool and MMTool (and various versions of both) with the same result.

I do not have there a correct padding (blue circle) which should be there as in bottom area of the attached picture.

Thank you a lot for patience with me.
Daniel

FD_dumped_&_written_back.JPG

BIOS_mod.zip (3.93 MB)

Padding.JPG

you talk of this Annex?
How to dump the BIOS Region and
how to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS
by using the Flashrom tool

@pipes80 :
If your question was addressed to me, my answer is: Yes!
Please write what you have done and what happened.
By the way: The UBU tool is not yet available to update the CPU Microcode of both BIOS parts. This may be the reason why you didn’t see the updated Microcodes after having flashed the UBU modded BIOS.

with the latest version of ubu inserted in 1.77 the update of the microcode worked

known in the guide that repeat the read command 2 times, both with the backup bios and with the bios mod

I use ryzen 7 3700x

@Rabanik - Here is unlocked FD write it back, then you can remove jumper and write BIOS region (probably, unless BIOS Lock, SMI Lock, or internal FPRR is set).
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…208324319642952

Yes, you want padding to remain, if they are there (I don’t see in your BIOS, so I can’t do any other edit for you right now).
What motherboard BIOS is this, HP Z620? Please link me to stock BIOS version exe from HP that matches your current dumped BIOS version
I don’t see those padding’s or modules (2x 05CA01F) in your BIOS dump, that you show in image, so I need to see stock BIOS. “Mottson’s BIOS is not same as your BIOS, either not same version, or not same motherboard”
So you should not be looking at that BIOS for any comparison, not sure where you got that or why you are using it to compare etc? And neither of those BIOS shown in your images match the BIOS you sent me either, so I have no idea what you are doing or why, how etc?

@ Lost_N_BIOS
Here is the link to HP sites - BIOS J61_0396. The motherboard’s name is Fmb-1102 and that one I have in HP Z620 Workstation. I bought the HP Z620 with the same bios like the HP link.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/sel…station/5225037

Edit:
I succesfully flashed back your FDunlocked.bin but when I tried flash back the biosreg.bin I also got Error 28 (flashing jumper ON or OFF. Tried both). I also tried to flash back biosreg.bin after S3 sleeping mode nad I got the Error 7 (flashing jumper ON or OFF. Tried both).

"I don’t see those padding’s or modules (2x 05CA01F) in your BIOS dump, that you show in image, so I need to see stock BIOS."
You are right. I have sent you a BIOSREG.BIN where the mod was not applied. I thought that you require this one where you will create the NVME support. But it seems the you only need the stock BIOS.
Sorry about it.
That screenshot was from modded stock BIOS made by me which I think is incorrect because Pad-file missing.
thank you

BIOSREG_after_unlocked_FD_Error_28.JPG

BIOSREG_after_unlocked_FD_Error_7_afterS3_mode.JPG

tuf x570 gaming plus update work but microcode is always same version

@all:
Meanwhile I have successfully tested the Flashrom tool by using a bootable FREEDOS image (instead of an MS DOS one).
This makes the procedure easier und reduces the steps of my Flashrom related guide.

Update of the start post

• Changelog:
    • new chapter as Annex: How to dump a BIOS Region and how to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS by using the Flashrom tool
      (may work with modern mainboards from all manufacturers)

Any feedback from users, who tried to dump the 32MB sized BIOS REGION and to flash it by using the Flashrom tool, is much appreciated.
Don’t forget to mention the mainboard manufacturer and the exact model name.

Good luck with this new method!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@pipes80 :
Please answer my questions: Did you flash the modded BIOS by using my updated Flashrom guide? If yes, did you succeed with the dump and flashing procedure, that means: Did you finally get the FREEDOS "Verifying flash… VERIFIED"?

There are not 2 READ commands, but just 1 READ and 1 WRITE command.

This is obviously an UBU issue (SoniX is working on a fix) and doesn’t indicate a failure of the BIOS flashing procedure.

@Fernando
yes, I used a backup bios and a modified one with ubu

in your guide you write this command with both the backup and the modified bios: flashrom -p internal -r backup.rom and mod.rom, I noticed this with the aGeoM guide where it reads the backup bios and then with the w command it writes the modified bios
Board is asus tuf x570 gaming plus bios version 1407.
no writing errors are given in the bios procedure that is performed correctly, the only thing is the modification of the bios as per aGeoM guide, because otherwise you receive a message indicating the bios equal in the bios chip

EDIT by Fernando: Unneeded fully quoted post removed to save space

@pipes80 :
Thanks for your reply.
You are right - my guide was absolutely misleading. As I just have realized, there was a typo within the command text. The second command, which is valid for the flashing procedure, has to contain a "w" (for WRITE) and not an "r" (for READ).
Meanwhile I have corrected my mistake.
I am sorry for having confused you.

Feedback with great success and big thanks !
Did a successful flash on Asus Pro WS X570-ACE , used latest 1302 base bios , updated microcode also for my ryzen 3600.

Had to clear CMOS so i can boot the system after the flash.

Ubu.png

fr_backup.jpg

fr_write.jpg

fr_complete.jpg

@d3vnul :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum and thanks for your feedback!
It makes me happy as well, that you got the modded ASUS X570 BIOS properly flashed by following my new Flashrom guide.
Enjoy it!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

It was an easy 5 minutes read , which made me confident to attempt the operation :slight_smile:
Really impressive work all together to all involved, I really am amazed on what a community can do.
Had to at least make an account and Thank You Dieter !

there can be an oversight with all the immense work you do in this forum

what does it mean? does the command create a copy of bios on the stick?

@Rabanik - Thanks, sounds like FD was not written back then. Please put on jumper again, dump new fdnew.bin and send to me so we can confirm.
I do indeed need your dumped BIOS region, not stock, this is what we edit and flash with FPT (ONLY THIS). I only wanted stock BIOS so I could look at that, compared to your dumped BIOS region to check some things.
What I mentioned still applies, what you show in images or what you mentioned, does not apply to your dumped BIOS region. I know the mod was not applied, I’m not talking about the mod, I’m talking about the padding files you showed in image and the other BIOS modules above and around that.
None of what you show in that image is in your BIOS at the location shown. Maybe you were modifying some other BIOS, and comparing some other BIOS, both of those BIOS in the image looked similar, but neither match your actual BIOSreg dump you sent me

See the image below, this is your stock BIOS and your dumped BIOS region side by side, notice there is no padding AND there is no modules x2 starting with GUID 05CA01F (and the rest of this area does not match your image either) << This is what I was talking about, nothing to do with the actual mod or not.

rabinik.png