[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

Fernando the guide you linked me to worked perfectly! Thank you very much.

That guide coupled with this one, allowed me to boot from an nvme drive on my dell precision t5610.

Thank you very much!

Hey guys,

I followed the entire guideā€¦ I followed it actually to the exactlyā€¦

1. Created bootable FREEDOS usb with Rufus
2. Created backup.rom file with afuwinx64 gui progrma
3. copied the flashrom.exe and other file to USB => + modded ROM (I used the AMIBCP file to edit the bios to unhide specific menuā€™s by changing access/use from ā€œDefaultā€ to => "USER"

4. booted into usb via legacy mode and entered this command:

flashrom.exe -p internal -w mod.rom -o writelog.txt (just like from the guide)

Flashing completed successfully with the modded rom and here is the log file created:

https://pastebin.com/PmNCvTun

Now the weirdest thing ever is - I cannot see a single change in bios - itā€™s as if nothing happened - and as if I never modded the bios.rom file ever?!

I should be able to see the Chipset hidden menu and hidden subtabs in ā€œAdvanced menuā€ - but nothing is still there

Iā€™m also uploading here my modded version of biosā€¦

Here is the modded bios:

https://mega.nz/file/v0s0RKYK#qVmIGiA58Zā€¦TNhLHnm5ILCYJVU

Can someone please tell me what am I doing wrong here?

@drmusama - Often AMIBCP is not the only thing you need to do to unlock BIOS settings or submenus in main menu sections you can already see, and certainly not hidden main menus, sometimes you donā€™t even need to use it at all. And, sometimes you need to use Super not User on Access level changes.
Often settings are suppressed within setup, and that needs fixed first, and then if that does not make setting appear by itself you then do AMIBCP edit on top of that.
For Main menu sections, such as hidden advanced or chipset etc, AMIBCP cannot make them visible without several other edits outside of AMIBCP, and then on top of those AMIBCP Access Level edit may or may not be needed
Sounds like you need help unlocking your BIOS, please make a new thread and give me a link to the stock BIOS download page, and your untouched AFU dump you are using to reflash with (I do not need to see your mod BIOS)

Okay thank you so much for the insight! I will copy-paste this post from this thread and adjust it like you said in this bolded part.

I cannot figure out how to download the latest AFUWINGUI etc. from https://ami.com/en/products/firmware-tooā€¦uefi-utilities/

None of the pages lead me to downloads. Iā€™m looking for AFUWINGUI and AMIBCP :frowning:

@KedarWolf :
AMI offers different AFU Tools for different BIOS platforms (AMI Aptio IV, AMI Aptio V and AMI BIOS 8).
If you want to download the matching AMI AFU Tool for your specific mainboard, you should click onto the related button. Look here:

AFU Tools.png

After having done that, you will be directed to the appropriate page. Check the "I am not a robot" and click onto the "Submit" button. Then the download of the desired AFU tool will start automaticly.

@KedarWolf - AMIBCP = $5,000 and you must pay before you download/get emailed a link or copy of the tool etc.
For older leaked versions of this, you need to use google or PM

It the tool says "Multi tank ROMsā€™ ROM ID do not match platform ROM ID" after you try and flash an OFFICIAL CAP BIOS, not a modded one,ā€¦ what gives?

I could not find anything on this error in Google.

@RobJoy :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
Which "official" *.CAP BIOS for which specific mainboard from which manufacturer have you tried to flash by using which tool?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Canā€™t boot into BIOS and resetting jumper or removing the battery does nothing, Can still boot into Windows tho.

I think you flashed in wrong BIOS, as noted in my comments there, due to how you described something during your flash. Are you 100% certain you flashed the correct file?
Usually it would stop you, but sometimes there might be error/glitch and crossflash can happen

@Lost_N_BIOS :
It is impossible I flashed the wrong bios, since I flashed the same bios using an IN-BIOS flash tool.
Canā€™t get more proprietary than that.

Besides, I donā€™t do modded BIOSes,ā€¦ I always compensate by simply purchasing better components, than have to fiddle with something weak in order to make it 5% better.

@RobJoy - Nothing is impossible If you have only the correct BIOS on your hard drive, then you know it was correct BIOS.
Mod BIOS is not often always performance, but access to the 100ā€™s of hidden settings, at least when I do BIOS mods I mean that is what people are after. But yes, I guess yes many do update modules for a little more general performance or security etc.
I didnā€™t mean mod BIOS when I mentioned wrong BIOS, I meant wrong model like accidentally downloaded PRO X570-ACE instead of PRO WS X570-ACE (like that, And Makes some dumb naming mistakes to make that easy sometimes)
Generally EZ Flash or other tools will stop a crossflash, but sometimes mistakes are made and those blocks may not be in place, so that is all I meant.

@Lost_N_BIOS :
Yes I can understand the wish for more settings and functionality. :slight_smile:
But no, I flashed the exact same BIOS using ASUS EZ Flash 3 as I always do. I use in-Bios tools whenever available on the motherboard.
The issue was that this time, it flashed extremely fast (few seconds) instead of what it usually takes. On top of that, it was the same BIOS I have flashed previous. It should not have allowed me that.
I did this flash AFTER loading old BIOS profile which had empty values.

It should always allow same BIOS flash as previous. Old BIOS profiles should never be used on new BIOS, and adding that to a pre-flash situation, that may be what caused all this

@Lost_N_BIOS
Hi,
sorry for a big delay but I still did not successful with the flashing of the NVME modded BIOS. Your fdunlocked.bin which you have sent to me seems to be not unlocked. I flashed the official BIOS from HP sites back to the motherboard and your fdunlocked.bin is the same like this attached file which I dumped from freshly written official BIOS.
Could you be so nice and could you modifify attached file again please? I could try it myself but this procedure from this link is for Intel ME 9 and newer but my chipset is Intel ME 8.1
[Guide] Unlock Intel Flash Descriptor Read/Write Access Permissions for SPI Servicing

Thank you a lot.
Daniel

FD.ZIP (374 Bytes)

@Rabanik - FDunlocked.bin is unlocked FD, did you write it in with jumper on? If yes, then FD is unlocked, but if you flash official BIOS from HP it may write back in the locked version, if itā€™s locked in stock BIOS (Will check), sometimes FD is re-written with stock BIOS reflash.
I just checked the fdunlocked.bin I sent you, it is not match to the stock fd dump you sent me on 5/23, it (Fdunlock) is unlocked, as is FDnew.bin. But yes, the stock BIOS package contains unlocked FD too, but that is never written in with HP BIOS Update in this case or they would have locked it in the stock package.
Procedure is same for all FD, see section B, spoiler two, image one for your FD. You can FF FF out the 18 01 or leave it, itā€™s unlocked either way
This is what is on line 60 of the actual ā€œStockā€ locked FD you dumped off the board and sent to me >> 00 00 1B 1A 00 00 0D 0C 18 01 08 08 FF FF FF FF

I am sorry. You are absolutelly right. I have checked all the FDs and I found out that when you flash a stock BIOS back the FD stays still unlocked.
In every case I always receive these same error message below as usually

"Error 28: Protected Range Registers are currently set by BIOS, preventing flash access.
Please contact the target system BIOS vendor for an option to disable Protected Range Registers."

No matter if flash jumper is set to read or write position.
I do not believe that Z620 could get modded BIOS with NVME support without removing of flash chip and flash it in a programmer.
If you have some other another idea let me know please.
Thank you a lot.

@Rabanik - Yes, in this case, unlocked FD remains after this version stock BIOS reflash, that may not always be the case though, and does not apply to all BIOS/motherboard etc.
In this case, even if stock BIOS reflash did flash FD, itā€™s unlocked in that stock BIOS package anyway, so it would just flash in unlocked FD. The locked FD you had was original into the board at manufacturer and remained, until you unlocked it

Protected range register is a BIOS setting sometimes, or a lock within a BIOS module that needs edited out.
In this case, I do not find BIOS setting for FPRR, so yes, youā€™d have to pull chip and edit the module with lock to remove that (I canā€™t find in this BIOS, so I canā€™t make the edit either, sorry )
So yes, if you want NVME mod BIOS here, pull the chip and program in NVME mod BIOS.

Are you sure jumper still allows this to be locked? What is the jumper labelled? If ME/FD/FDO/Service/Management then put on jumper and reboot 3 times to windows, then try again.
Also, you can test if this BIOS has Sleep bug too! Put system to Sleep (S3, not hibernate) and then wait 2-3 minutes, wake it up and then try to FPT flash the BIOS region only again and see if you still get error 28, if yes then your BIOS does not have this bug

@gloobox - do you know how to flash mod BIOS region on Z620?

@Lost_N_BIOS
Sorry,Error7 is always prompted.I had tried it on Z420 and Z620,and the same error was prompted.
And if thereā€™s no accident,I think Z210 Z220 Z820 were the same.
ERROR7 will be prompted on some cases,but I donā€™t know how to bypass it on Z620.
Someone say it may be related to the NVRAM,but I have no idea.And I started to consider the jumpers on the mobo besides FDO.

Btw,do you know which version of AFU could be run on Z620?

Edit:
I found an useful link below.They solve it by Asusā€™s winflash,but the machine they used is Asus not HP.
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/archive/ā€¦read-26681.html