[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

@pipes80 : Please stop fully quoting posts and use the directly addressing option instead. This way we can save a lot of space within our threads.

hello
does anybody have windows x64 or x86 compile version of flashrom.exe file which support -p internal command? The current flashrom.exe is build for ms dos version which is not possible to run within windows.
Just like FPT which has both x64 or x86 and MS dos version but flashrom is only MS dos version I found. :frowning:

@superb123 - maybe this will help (post #510) - [Guide] Using CH341A-based programmer to flash SPI EEPROM (34)
If not @flashrom or maybe @aGeoM may be able to help you.

@Lost_N_BIOS
@flashrom
@aGeoM

hello Lost_N_BIOS thanks for reply but post #510 flashrom will only works if I have flash Programmer hardware, it do not support -p internal command.
I need(maybe we all need,as it not already build anywhere ?) windows compile version of flashrom.exe which support -p internal command and flash Programmer hardware requirement is not mandatory.
here is the file which support -p internal command but only support dos version, not windows
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil…372383829534377

@superb123 - OK, thanks. I don’t know much about Linux, so I can’t compile anything. Now, if there is a guide about this, maybe I can, I do have backtrack setup in a VMWare, so I have OS ready to do that kind of thing, just nothing to guide me along.
I’m sure flashrom will be able to help once he’s back in the forum, if such thing is possible? It may not be possible, and can only be done from DOS due to ME or SMI/SMM restrictions or something?

@Lost_N_BIOS
here is the official guide about compile to windows
https://flashrom.org/Windows
But I don’t know if that guild can help us to build flashrom.exe for windows which support -p Internal command. Maybe only flashrom and aGeoM can answer that.

Hey guys,

I have a new MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi which I have modded with UBU some mCode and new stuff which BIOS doesn’t seem to recognize to flash…

Is there a way to flash them?

FreeDOS Annex mode doesn’t work because it says it can’t recognize EEPROM chip

@superb123 - Thanks, did you try to use this and the file you know that supports -p Internal?
I’m surprised @flashrom and @aGeoM have not replied yet, hopefully they are OK and have just been busy lately!

@DarkPoe - Rename BIOS to stock name.extension and flash via M-Flash, if that fails then you may have broken BIOS. I’d have to see stock BIOS vs your mod to comment further on that

@Lost_N_BIOS

Here you can check both images

Can’t flash via M-Flash because it won’t recognize the file (would not let me select [It doesn’t appear even in the file list ])

@DarkPoe - Link me to the MSI Stock BIOS download page, and tell me what version, and then upload your mod BIOS too

@lost_n_bios

Damn sorry I always forget to upload the files…

Here they are

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/…AMING-EDGE-WIFI

BIOS version 7C79v12

Desktop.part01.rar (5.9 MB)

Desktop.part02.rar (5.9 MB)

Desktop.part03.rar (5.9 MB)

Desktop.part04.rar (1.22 MB)

@DarkPoe - Why did you include stock BIOS too!
Did you rename to >> E7C79IMS.120 << And it wont flash? If yes, then M-Flash must be blocking mod BIOS now, or at least on this model and the BIOS version you are using now.
I don’t see any major issues, so should be OK via M-Flash using name above, unless they’re blocking mod BIOS now. You can see stock BIOS on same USB Stick?
File (mod or stock) should be on root of USB, not in folder, you did that, correct?

If you can’t get it, then you will need to flash to stock BIOS of this version, then dump BIOS region with FPT, then edit, then reflash it.

@Lost_N_BIOS

You are absolutely right… Sorry for being so noob on MSI (The Z390 Gigabyte I had had no problem with names)… I renamed to E7C79IMS.120 and it recognized and flashed with no problems!

Thanks and sorry again for the time

@DarkPoe - You’re welcome!! Glad you sorted it out
Yes, some brands allow any name and or extension sometimes too, some must be stock name.extension (or other name, like Asus uses flashback name, if flashing that way)
MSI, almost always stock name.extension, except for some older models sometimes allowed any name.extension. Sometimes, even on modern MSI, you can use any name but has to be correct extension, but that is outside their desired norm.

Hi @eva10nu ,
I’m looking to mod my P8H77-V LE too, could you share the modded bios that you made?
I will try myself as well, but it’s always good to have a working reference.
Thank you!

Edit:
You described your procedure in your post as below, but the procedure gave you a .rom file instead of a .cap file, which you probably needed for Wishbringer’s method using the regular AI Suite BIOS Flash utility, right?
Could you please also share your steps how you transformed the .rom file into a .cap file?
That would be the last step that is still unclear to me, thank you very much! :slight_smile:

double post - removed

@stealthwang ;
If possible can you provide me the modded BIOS for the Asus Z9PR-D12, I also have the same board. Thanks

@lingling300 - I would try flashrom method, or use flash programmer (If you have flash programmer, make backup so you can recover, then you can also try old DOS AFU and /GAN option method)

@ Lost_N_BIOS

thank you for your answer.

flashrom gives me an error when I try to dump the bios "FCH device found but SMbus revision 0x51 does not match known values - could not determine chipset generation - no eeprom found"

AFUDOS also did not work, saying the BIOS was locked (despite I disabled BIOS write protection in BIOS) however I was able to dump the bios via AFUWIN.

but flashing the dumped bios to the other board failed. both AFUWIN and flashrom were not able to flash it.

@Fernando
Hi man, I have read most of the post, but I cannot solve my problem. basically instant flash doesn’t read the bios file for me.

I already opened the modified bios in UBU_v1_79_8 and renamed it with the original name included extension, but it still doesn’t read the file. (No image file detected). I have an Asrock H310C.

Thank You