[Guide] How to flash a modded AMI UEFI BIOS

@felone :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
You should better ask our BIOS Guru Lost_N_BIOS and attach your modded BIOS.
Which BIOS modules did you replace by other ones?
ASRock is offering >here< different BIOS files for the usage of the Instant Flash tool and for the flashing from within Windows. Which BIOS was your source file?
Good luck!
Dieter (alias Fernando)

@Fernando

Thanks for answering me, I donā€™t know about modules, I just dump the bios and edit in HxD and change the mac address and motherboard S/N.
I also tried the Asrock files but nothing. The original BIOS is H3CMHDV4.20.

Thank you

@felone

Exact model of the H310C ??? Thereā€™s a lot of H310C

Did u read the ASROCK section?
Latest UBU has an option on exiting to remove Asrock bios protection for AMI V 16Mbā€¦ur case, the name of the output file will be apr_H3CMHDV4.20, just remove ā€œapr_ā€ from it
This should be done as last operation for protection remove, in UBU
Also download the correct file bios as Fernando mentioned beforeā€¦the one for Instant Flash
Asrock also adverts that the latest update to 4.xx is an non-reversal operation to previous bios

Iā€™ve tried flashing my Asrock Taichi Z370 (asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z370%20Taichi/index.asp#BIOS) without success using both the flashrom method and the InstantFlash method from within bios. Iā€™ve tried flashing off a modded BACKUP.ROM (using both the suggested MOD.ROM and the default bios name Z37TC4.20) and saving the mods with and without removing security check in UBU. I suspect that Asrockā€™s more recent bios versions, like 4.2 which is installed on my PC, are no longer modifiable without a programmer device. But as a last ditch effort, Iā€™m attaching my modded backup rom in the hopes that @Fernando or @Lost_N_BIOS have other suggestions.

Edit- Canā€™t add my modded rom in my post. Newb.

@felone - Maybe you broke the BIOS when you edited it?? Please give me original dumped BIOS and tell me what serial and MAC you want changed, to what, and then I will see if editing maybe could break the BIOS. How did you edit it, just via hex on entire BIOS as a whole?

BIOS above chipset 1xx tend to not work anymore with removing Asrock Protection method, maybe started with 2xx chipset I canā€™t remember, but for sure it will not work on 3xx models.

@cmyasrock - See above, bottom part of comment, that applies to your Z370 for sure. Annex/flashrom method is only way, or priogrammer.
If flashrom method is failing for you, and you can dump BIOS without issue with flashrom, then probably your mod BIOS is broken.
Does it flash in OK, then bricked, or what?

You can now post links, put BIOS in max compressed zip. Please also include your original DUMPED BIOS, and your mod BIOS.

Greetings, everyone.

Thanks for this extremely useful topic (and forum in general). Iā€™m trying to flash my Asus WS X299 Sage mobo with a modded BIOS (thereā€™s a need to add OEM strings instead of dummy ā€œSystem Manufacturerā€ and so on).

Iā€™ve read the first post carefully and unfortunately stuck with flashing. Hereā€™s what I did:

1) Downloaded the latest BIOS for my MB from Asus website
2) Used AMIBCP ver. 5.02 to open CAP and change text strings requireed. Saved a copy of CAP (unsigned). Tried to flash the unsigned one with UEFI built-in utility and of course it didnā€™t work.
3) Used UEFITool 0.28.0 to extract the body from Aptio capsule, saved onto a ROM file. Then tried to flash that with AFUWINx64 (following the instruction on the very first post on this thread) and it still gives me error 18 checking secure image.
4) Just out of curiosity tried putting modded CAP (with appropriate name of course) on a 2gb fat-32 formatted USB stick and initiated USB Flashback, but as you can imagine it didnā€™t work (I mean, Iā€™m pretty sure it should NOT flash unsigned CAPs either, right?)

I noticed that /GAN command is not supported on AFUWINx64 v.5, however not sure if thatā€™s the issue (was trying w/o it).

What am I doing wrong here?
Apologies for the stupid quesion, Iā€™m new to all this and would appreciate patience and guidance on the matter.

@Joker :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!
You shouldnā€™t use any AMI tool (AMIBCP or AFUWIN), because your mainboard supports the ASUS USB Flashback feature.
The safest way to get the modded BIOS properly flashed into the SP1 chip of your ASUS WS X299 SAGE mainboard is to simply follow Chapter A of the ā€œGuide for ASUS mainboardsā€, which is layed down within the start post of this thread.
What means ā€œit didnā€™t workā€? What happened? Did you rename the *.CAP file to ā€œWSXTG.CAPā€?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

Thanks, for the welcoming:).
Well, I named it as ā€œWSXSG.CAPā€ - thatā€™s the name according to mobo manual I have. It just acted like thereā€™s wrong image/wrong USB (blinked 3 times and turned LED on solid w/o further activity).

So, just to confirm: USB Flashback should flash even the unsigned capsule?
I will try to put original BIOS in order to understand whether the problem is with the USB stick (I remember itā€™s kind of picky to those).

UPD:
As I expected, the original (non-modded) CAP is flashing from the USB stick via USB Flashback without a problem. So, either I broke something with AMIBCP tool (clumsy hands) or it simply doesnā€™t like unsigned images.

Is there any other way to modify OEM-related strings? Iā€™ve heard about some DMIEDIT tool but wasnā€™t able to find it anywhere, donā€™t think itā€™s available to public.

Thanks @Lost_N_BIOS. See links below. When trying to flash the UBU modded rom in Flashrom, I would get a flash error but no brick. Attached is an image from the dos prompt showing the error.

Apparently I need another post before i can provide a link to my bios on onedrive. 6MB limit still exists for attachments.

Edit:
MOD BIOS
BACKUP BIOS

Yes!

Alright, I achieved what I want by extracting the body with UEFIExplorer. Edited the string I need with AMIBCP tool.

Then I took unchanged CAP, opened with hex editor and pasted the content of my modified body starting from 800h offset. Saved as a new CAP, named as required and guess what ā€” it flashed via USB Flashback like a charm.

So, it seems that it wasnā€™t able to flash unsigned one, actually.

Hi all,

I am triying to flash my M5A99FX-PRO with modded file. No success. I tried to use Asus AI Suite, it doesnā€™t works. Tried with AFUWin, ā€¦ nope (security reasons), tried with BIOS UEFI main menu, neitherā€¦ security reason. Flashbackā€¦ LED doesnā€™t starts to blink. File is named as M5A99FX.CAP. It seems ok, but USB flashback proccess doesnā€™t starts (I tried with 3 different pendrives inserted in green USB for flashback). What can I do?
Thanks

@diegolm :
Use RUFUS on an 8GB or smaller USB and format it Fat32 MBR. If they have been used as a GPT drive, Flashback will not work.

Hi again,
I used a 512MB, 4GB and 2GB pendrives with MBR and FAT32 partitions. I tried to format them again with Rufus with same results. No blinking led. I really want to flash it with my modded BIOS but I canā€™t find a way.

Try FAT/FAT32 on smaller USB, port to use is the bottom near Audio output.
Update to the official latest version with Bios FB and get confirmation on the correct operation and USB drive, load CMOS defaults and exit.
Bios FB button pressed 3sec, after 5sec blinking and then off, not good. If OK will keep blinking with increase rating and will shut off after 3 minute or moreā€¦DO NOT interrupt operation.
Now u know what drive to use Bios FB with mod.

@MeatWar :
Hi,
I tried many ways to do with same results. Leds no blink. zero blinks at all. I tried 12 different pendrives with FAT and FAT32 with same results. Always in green USB port marked as Flashback port. Zero blinks pushing flashback button. Is mainboard fault maybe?

Good news!
I have flashed my Asus mainboard!! and Now it makes my new NVME disk boots my OpenSuse from it. Thanks to all for your patience, Hereā€™s the trick. Solution was not related to pendrive format. This is the way it worked for me.

1 - Format a FAT32 pendrive. No matters if pendrive has files or not.
2 - Copy the modded or original BIOS with correct name.
3 - Deattach any PCI-e cards, VGA also.
4 - Connect pendrive to the Flashback USB port.
5 - Shutdown the computer.
6 - Push Flashback button for 3 or 5 seconds to start blinking.

Point number 3 was the key. After deattach PCI-e VGA card all worked like a charm.

Hope this way can helps many other people with same problem.

Regards.

Good. Thanks.

@sunset08 :
Welcome to the Win-RAID Forum!!
What is/was good for you and whom do you want to thank?
Regards
Dieter (alias Fernando)

I procede with it and now I got this error omg. Did I flash something wrong? My lap is still turned on so Please tell me please

even when I try to flash official bios G751JTAS.213 it gives same error

Screenshot 2020-11-02 025022.png

Screenshot 2020-11-02 025158.png